Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Locked Out!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey Everyone,

I drove to work today with just my phone, and Murphys Law, now the car wont open. It isn't connecting to the app and now I have no way of getting in or driving. Has this happened to anyone before? Tesla Roadside was going to charge me to send someone out. But I cannot see how that would work if the handles do not come out.

Are you parked in a garage or remote area?

Can you get the key? (Uber home or have someone bring it?)

yes, I’ve had app access occasionally fail. There are lots of moving parts - phones talks to Tesla servers which talk to the car.

for the model 3, the keyless entry system the phone talks to the car via Bluetooth so it’s local. It also has app unlock that operates same as the S.

Hey, I haven't done a hotspot before but will try it.

It definitely isn't asleep, sentry turns on every time.

It is in the middle of the parking lot outside.

Maybe it is sick....

Even if you have not connected to the car as a hotspot, you may still be able to. Change the phone's name so it matches your home network SSID. Then turn on hotspot and use the same password on the phone's hotspot as you use on your home network. It might auto connect then.

I have had it too, just get your key and you will never be in similar situation again (don’t say you lost it...).As of that I have wondered why does not the car detects that you don’t have your key with you anymore and indicated this on screen? You will be able to turn back and not find yourself in “locked out” situation...

I have had it too, just get your key and you will never be in similar situation again (don’t say you lost it...).As of that I have wondered why does not the car detects that you don’t have your key with you anymore and indicated this on screen? You will be able to turn back and not find yourself in “locked out” situation...
The op said he drove to work with his phone. (Used as a key) as long as you do this it won’t think you don’t have a key. If you did have one and left it somewhere it will tell you car won’t restart.

I’d recommend calling Tesla service ASAP and ask them to remotely reboot your car. They can do this. Happened to me. They were able to remotely reboot even tho I couldn’t get it to pull up in the app and within a few minutes I was back inside.

On a Model S, sometimes the door handles won't present, BUT you can open the trunk. Before you start worrying try the trunk. Yes, its a pain to crawl though, but sometimes it works.

Do yourself a favor. Take your car home, find both your fobs or keycards. Get your phone. Roll the windows down on your car, and then test. Leave your fob or keycard or even phone in the car and try opening doors. Check your owner manuals. Some exterior places work better than others for reception. Be advised, keeping your smart phone near - same pocket, in the purse, in the same back, on the console near your fob, will block the fob's signal. It will interfere with it.

I remember reading a long time ago, about an owner had left his fob laying on top of his smartphone on the console. He described using a clothes hanger to pull the fob off the phone and into the car's floor and then he could press the handle and the handles presented.

You 3 owners - there's no excuse for not having a spare keycard. There's no excuse for not having it where you can have a friend bring it to you. There's no excuse for NOT having more than one spare.

Don't forget, just because you don't have your own phone does not stop you. A stranger will let you borrow and download the app to get into your own car and even start it just to have a story to tell about a Tesla owner. Before you had it back, delete the app. Or when you get home, change your password. BUT know your password so you can login from a different phone.

You young'un's out there ever hear of Murphy's Law? What can go wrong will go wrong? If you practice locking and unlocking your car with your phone, your keycard, your fob. Find out the limitations and think it trough before you need it, it will be easy-peasy to get in your car when its locked.