TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

locked out??!!!

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by Bruce, Jul 18, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Bruce

Bruce Member

Just parked my Tesla model S in my garage and left the key on the front passenger seat by accident. Just as the handles were closing, I remembered the key and reached for the handle. Too late! Thought "oh, thats ok. I'll just push the handle and open the door". No. The car apparently did not recognize the key was in the car!! I was no effectively locked out!! The key is not old enough to be low in batteries. In fact, I have notice over the 7 months I have had the car that in certain positions it seems to fail to recognize the key, while in other positions, it recognizes the key just fine… Any ideas?? (solved my problem with my other key… but what if I don't have that other key???)

2. Denarius

Denarius Active Member

You can also unlock the car with the smartphone app.

3. Bruce

Bruce Member

Ohhh…!! forgot about that! Feel better. However, still a big concern that the keys get locked in so easily … and randomly

4. Discoducky

Discoducky Active Member

driving away without the key is a bigger concern since you cannot start the car once it is off. fix is coming for this, but might not see it until fall; hopefully sooner.

5. olanmills

olanmills Member

I guess you could turn off the autolocking doors. However, if I left the key inside, I would want the doors to lock I think. Of course, the best thing would be if the car could tell if the key was inside and give you a beep or something. I'm not sure that the car can tell the difference between the fob being in the car and the fob being outside but near the car.

6. apacheguy

apacheguy Sig 255, VIN 320

Had this exact same thing happen yesterday. Pressed all handles, trunk, everything repeatedly and couldn't get it. Odd thing is that most often the handles will present and only this one time they didn't. I can't tell you how many times before I've left the key inside the car. The door handles have retracted and I've been able to push to present. This is definitely a bug in firmware 6.0 (and likely earlier versions) given that the behavior is not consistent.

Oh, and my phone was in the car too so had to get someone to load the app on theirs.

7. PlanB

PlanB Banned

Makes NO sense why you would leave your key in the car, do you not have pockets in your pants, or shirt, or jacket?......

8. apacheguy

Dog sits in my lap. If you had a small dog you would understand why you can't have objects in your pockets. :wink:

9. PlanB

PlanB Banned

LMAO you sir are hilarious. Buy that doggie a small doggie bed. Would hate to see what would happen if the airbag hit your dog :crying:

10. apacheguy

Wow, dude. That's the most ridiculous post I've ever seen. C'mon, get a life.

mods: Sorry, but this is where I draw the line.

11. PlanB

PlanB Banned

Not sure why you think it's ridiculous.

My moms lap dog was killed when the airbag in her Benz went of and the dog was pretty much crushed in her lap.

There's no need for you to be so rude.