Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

locked out

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In another video posted this week, Zelaya said he sold the car and that someone was going to pick it up from his driveway. The supposed buyer is then seen taking the car apart from the front bumper and then charging it.

Sounds like the battery died (or he let the SOC go to 0%) and the 12v battery also died -- which OF COURSE would lock the car.

Tesla didn't lock him out, he locked himself out by letting the battery discharge.

Sounds like the guy is more interested and knowledgeable in TikTok than maintaining his on vehicle. Some people just need to own a

1663332945044.png

The guy just seemed PO'ed with having a $26k repair on an ~10 year old car. That's completely understandable. I've dealt with people with this personality before; they basically shut off all logic when hitting an emotional wall. However, it is also important for new buyers to know the whole truth when buying an EV, which is a lot of good, but also includes the battery replacement cost and lifespan. Then they can make an informed buying decision.

Reactions: RNHurt
Also, there are several cheaper alternatives to get a replacement battery for less than US$10k.

Also, he's in Canada, so $26k is actually about USD$20k.

The whole thing is just FUD.
$20k is still very expensive for most people. There are places that will hack a battery to make it work. There are others that will cobble together used modules, however these are not new batteries. I don't know of anyone who is supplying new batteries for a Tesla, other than Tesla.

$20k is still very expensive for most people.

I did not say it wasn't. Just that there is a currency conversion in place that most people are missing. Also, Tesla is now quoting battery replacements for US$16k or less. I don't know where he got this CAN$26k number from, and he doesn't offer any proof to back it up either.

I don't know of anyone who is supplying new batteries for a Tesla, other than Tesla.

There are many outfits offering replacement batteries that are equal to, or sometimes better than the originals. He has an S85. He could get a 90kWh battery for well under $10k (I've done it).

that was a 10 year old Tesla. Did it not have a mechanical key to unlock the doors if there was no power?

It does not have a physical key. But it takes one minute, a $2 pry tool or credit card and a jump pack to get into the car.

The problem here is that he is accusing Tesla of locking him out because his battery died. Which is simply, 100% not the case (and completely illogical). He just needs to blame someone who isn't himself and get his 15 minutes of Tik-Tok moron fame. He succeeded.

totally agree that it was not Tesla and he just wanted attention

Personally I think it is bad design to not have a mechanical backup to get in the car. Most people don't have a jump pack and I'd want to sit in the car waiting for the tow truck

My mom shared with me that one of her friend's was on a rant about this story and how outrageous it was that Tesla is locking owners out of their cars and extorting them for $26k new batteries. She was rightly skeptical, but I was dismayed at how far I had to dig to get past the sensationalized version, and how many media outlets carried the same story. Maybe I'll go back to an IC powered car that requires no maintenance, is never recalled, has a 20 year drive-train warranty, and has no impact on the environment... I guess the headline "There are pros and cons to EVs" doesn't get as many view on TikTok.

Reactions: RNHurt
My mom shared with me that one of her friend's was on a rant about this story and how outrageous it was that Tesla is locking owners out of their cars and extorting them for $26k new batteries. She was rightly skeptical, but I was dismayed at how far I had to dig to get past the sensationalized version, and how many media outlets carried the same story. Maybe I'll go back to an IC powered car that requires no maintenance, is never recalled, has a 20 year drive-train warranty, and has no impact on the environment... I guess the headline "There are pros and cons to EVs" doesn't get as many view on TikTok.
I know the feeling. This story where the good constable said with confidents, there was no one in the drivers seat hit every news outlet around the world (in minutes). Note the update on the article, where the truth came out that the owner was behind the wheel before the accident. Much too late. Damage was already done to Tesla. PCT 4: Two killed when Tesla catches fire after crashing into tree