Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Locking a Passenger Inside....On Purpose.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've searched the forums and elsewhere but I can't seem to find an answer as to how to lock the car with a passenger inside.

The other night two of us went to the store. I decided to stay in the car but wanted the doors locked. I kept the fob and used the lock feature on the touchscreen to lock the car. I assumed that when the driver returned I would have to unlock the doors for them but they simply pushed the rear hatch button/release thing and the back opened up. I hadn't noticed them even walking up to the car and it really startled me. They then came around and opened the driver's door with no problem. Is this expected behavior?

I assume so because you used the key to lock the car, which is a behavior expected for someone outside of the car.

Try locking with the touch screen. That is a different behavior and matches with someone aiming to protect people, rather than possessions. It can be done while driving so I assume it overrides any unlock with the fob in range.

Last edited:
The other night two of us went to the store. I decided to stay in the car but wanted the doors locked. I kept the fob and used the lock feature on the touchscreen to lock the car. I assumed that when the driver returned I would have to unlock the doors for them but they simply pushed the rear hatch button/release thing and the back opened up. I hadn't noticed them even walking up to the car and it really startled me. They then came around and opened the driver's door with no problem. Is this expected behavior?

I assume so because you used the key to lock the car, which is a behavior expected for someone outside of the car.

Try locking with the touch screen. That is a different behavior and matches with someone aiming to protect themselves. It can be done while driving so I assume it overrides any unlock with the fob in range.

The OP stated that he/she did lock the car by using the touchscreen.

Reactions: krazineurons
The passenger can always leave the car, whether it's been locked or not. This is a safety feature.

It's a little interesting that the car stays unlocked after the passenger leaves, though. Do you have "walk away lock" turned on?

The passenger can always leave the car, whether it's been locked or not. This is a safety feature.

It's a little interesting that the car stays unlocked after the passenger leaves, though. Do you have "walk away lock" turned on?

I want to stay in the car with it locked and don't want anyone outside of the car without a fob to be able to open the doors.

Our car stays locked with us inside if we lock it from the touchscreen, or if it locks itself because we were driving, just as you describe doing (touchscreen). We have to unlock by touchscreen or by pushing park twice.
Hope the helps!

Seems like I did the correct thing but the car did not :) I'll bring it up to service when we take it in soon. Thanks everyone for the replies.

So let me get this straight.

Here is a car that has biodefence mode for the zombie apocalypse, but you can't lock EVERY entry while inside the car.

I'll have to test this on the Model S because it seems like a bizarre weakness that the rear trunk/hatch can be opened when the car is locked from the touchscreen.

So let me get this straight.

Here is a car that has biodefence mode for the zombie apocalypse, but you can't lock EVERY entry while inside the car.

I'll have to test this on the Model S because it seems like a bizarre weakness that the rear trunk/hatch can be opened when the car is locked from the touchscreen.

Yep! And I completely agree. I'm hoping it's just a mistake and easily fixed.

I just went to the garage to do the experiment.

I opened the driver's window, left the key inside, touched the screen to turn on the screen and music started playing etc., touched the Lock icon on the top left corner.

All doors remain locked from outside, including the trunk.

I am not sure what happened in your case. Can you consistently replicate it?

I opened the driver's window, left the key inside, touched the screen to turn on the screen and music started playing etc., touched the Lock icon on the top left corner.

But nobody was inside the car? It could cause a different behavior.

In the situation in the OP, here's another possibility.

Had the driver left something on the driver's seat, and was the car not off, but rather left in park? I could be wrong, but with the car in park I believe someone pressing on the door handles would cause them to present. (There's a chance I'm wrong about that, and none of this explains the hatch behavior. I'm just throwing things out there.)

Unfortunately/fortunately? our car is getting XPEL so I can't try it again quite yet.

In the situation in the OP, here's another possibility.

Had the driver left something on the driver's seat, and was the car not off, but rather left in park? I could be wrong, but with the car in park I believe someone pressing on the door handles would cause them to present. (There's a chance I'm wrong about that, and none of this explains the hatch behavior. I'm just throwing things out there.)

There wasn't anything on the driver's seat. We pulled into a parking spot, the park button was pushed, I held on to the fob in the front passenger seat, they exited the vehicle and manually closed the door, I pushed the lock button on the touchscreen and listened to music, kept the heater on, etc.

Maybe that's where I'm confused? Was keeping the screen active by skipping songs and changing artists the reason the doors were able to be unlocked? I'd like to think I can sit in the car and have music and such and still be locked in. As soon as we get our car back (feels like it's taking fooooooorever) I'll try to replicate.

Apparently in our X, I had the fob with me and I was not near the car. As the passengers alighted using the falcon doors the car raised an alarm, I had to fumble on the fob to turn off the alarm. I had all the locking settings enabled.