Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Locking and Driving Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have and iPhone 13 and I have the location set to "Allow Always "
There are times I walk up to the car and I need to tap my screen on the phone to be able to unlock the car.
I don't have to unlock the phone, just wake it.
It seemed to consistently fail before I allowed location always on my iPhone. But I haven’t had that issue since I changed it. Do you have the latest firmware on your Tesla? That could also have something to do with it. Part of the issue is that iPhone may put the Bluetooth radio to sleep to save battery. Not much you can do there. I will report here if it fails for me again.

Reactions: rpiotro
I have the latest firmware on the Tesla and also newest IOS on the phone.
This has been an ongoing issue since I got the car last May.

I also have issues seeing the car from my app at times.
Seems that the when the car is in a sleep state it will not always wake up when polled by the phone.
I have asked Tesla and they say that this is a know issue.

I have the latest firmware on the Tesla and also newest IOS on the phone.
This has been an ongoing issue since I got the car last May.

I also have issues seeing the car from my app at times.
Seems that the when the car is in a sleep state it will not always wake up when polled by the phone.
I have asked Tesla and they say that this is a know issue.
Interesting. I guess it works differently for everyone. When I got the car, I randomly had the issue where I could not open the car with the phone and had to wake the phone, unlock, open the Tesla app and then the car would unlock. When the last 2022 update got installed, it began acting exactly as you described: only waking the phone was necessary and did not need to unlock the phone anymore. Then the 2023 update was installed and that didn’t change anything for me, but a suggestion appeared on my screen stating to set my location setting to always allow for the Tesla app. Once I did that I am no longer required to wake the phone. It just needs to be in my pocket and the car has been unlocking fine every time I try to open the door. No more issues so far in about a week.

The only downside is that now I will have to reconfirm every few days to iOS that I wish to continue granting always access to my location to the Tesla app.

Last edited: