Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Locking doors while still inside

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I actually had this come up yesterday and my girl friend and I tested this. Note that both my phone and her phone are set up as keys for the Model 3. I was the one driving the car if it matters.

She left her phone in the car and we both walked away. She said she did not hear the beep/honk when the car locks and she said she left her phone in the car. I looked on my app and it said the car was unlocked. I was standing about 150 ft away. I hit lock on the app and the doors locked. She walked back to the car by herself and tried to open the door - it opened! She walked back to me with her phone in hand and it auto locked and beeped/honked.

Moral of the story - if a phone set up as a key is in the car it will not auto-lock and it will unlock if someone tries to open. Note: both keycards were in our wallets and did NOT affect this situation. Hope this helps!

I actually had this come up yesterday and my girl friend and I tested this. Note that both my phone and her phone are set up as keys for the Model 3. I was the one driving the car if it matters.

She left her phone in the car and we both walked away. She said she did not hear the beep/honk when the car locks and she said she left her phone in the car. I looked on my app and it said the car was unlocked. I was standing about 150 ft away. I hit lock on the app and the doors locked. She walked back to the car by herself and tried to open the door - it opened! She walked back to me with her phone in hand and it auto locked and beeped/honked.

Moral of the story - if a phone set up as a key is in the car it will not auto-lock and it will unlock if someone tries to open. Note: both keycards were in our wallets and did NOT affect this situation. Hope this helps!

This is incredible news! Thanks for the feedback! Don't forget your phone key in the car. It's practically open to anyone!

I just tested two scenarios.
  • If you leave the phone in the car, get out and lock the car with the key card, the doors will open when you pull the door handle.
  • If you leave the phone in the car and lock it with the lock icon on the screen, the doors will not open when you pull the door handle.
Good to know tapping the lock icon keeps the door locked. Will come in handy if someone is chasing me and trying to kill me.

I had to revoke my wife's phone key as she tends to leave it in her purse in the car and we walk away. I think my phone is locking the car as we move away, but her phone is keeping the car unlocked, in danger of being stolen, and could act as a key if someone wants to steal the car. Good Gosh! She feels if we needed a phone we could use mine. Not sure how people who want to reach her feel about this.

She still has her card key if she needs to access the car when I am away, but no one will find it in her purse if they get in the car, Indiana Jones couldn't find things in her purse.

-Randy

I just tested two scenarios.
  • If you leave the phone in the car, get out and lock the car with the key card, the doors will open when you pull the door handle.
  • If you leave the phone in the car and lock it with the lock icon on the screen, the doors will not open when you pull the door handle.

How do you lock it and still get out? Wouldn't that trigger the alarm?

FYI, anyone who leaves their phone charging (overnight for example) in proximity to where their car is parked will have the same issue. Your options here are moving the phone a greater distance away from the vehicle or placing the phone into Airplane mode. Disabling Bluetooth on iPhones is only a temporary measure, as recent releases of iOS will automatically re-enable Bluetooth the following day.

Proximity is more of an issue with attached garages, but its something you may want to investigate (test) if you're concerned.

• Informative
Reactions: calidreamz808
FYI, anyone who leaves their phone charging (overnight for example) in proximity to where their car is parked will have the same issue. Your options here are moving the phone a greater distance away from the vehicle or placing the phone into Airplane mode. Disabling Bluetooth on iPhones is only a temporary measure, as recent releases of iOS will automatically re-enable Bluetooth the following day.

Proximity is more of an issue with attached garages, but its something you may want to investigate (test) if you're concerned.

Yup my room is next to my car I turn off Bluetooth overnight.

Reactions: brkaus