TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Locking doors while still inside

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Watts 4 Me, Apr 4, 2019.

1. Watts 4 Me

Watts 4 Me Member

How do I lock my doors if in inside my car and parked. I don't want someone to just walk up and open my door.

2. BigBluu

BigBluu Member

Tap on the lock/unlock icon on the top left corner of the screen.

• Informative x 2
  3. Watts 4 Me

Watts 4 Me Member

Oh, nice! Thanks

4. Randy Spencer

Randy Spencer Active Member

I have never tested this. I am glad to hear. I always wondered if the car was truly locked if my phone is in the car.

-Randy

5. TE51A

TE51A Member

I once forgot my phone inside, I used my keycard to lock and unlock the car as I went shopping :) the car remained locked even with the phone inside

• Informative x 1
  6. TE51A

TE51A Member

That said now I'm curious whether it will unlock to any one trying to open it just because the phone is inside

7. Randy Spencer

Yeah, that's what I was wondering.

-Randy

8. Tjcross

Tjcross Member

I actually had this come up yesterday and my girl friend and I tested this. Note that both my phone and her phone are set up as keys for the Model 3. I was the one driving the car if it matters.

She left her phone in the car and we both walked away. She said she did not hear the beep/honk when the car locks and she said she left her phone in the car. I looked on my app and it said the car was unlocked. I was standing about 150 ft away. I hit lock on the app and the doors locked. She walked back to the car by herself and tried to open the door - it opened! She walked back to me with her phone in hand and it auto locked and beeped/honked.

Moral of the story - if a phone set up as a key is in the car it will not auto-lock and it will unlock if someone tries to open. Note: both keycards were in our wallets and did NOT affect this situation. Hope this helps!

• Informative x 4
  9. TE51A

TE51A Member

This is incredible news! Thanks for the feedback! Don't forget your phone key in the car. It's practically open to anyone!

10. Big Earl

Big Earl Supporting Member

I just tested two scenarios.
    • If you leave the phone in the car, get out and lock the car with the key card, the doors will open when you pull the door handle.
    • If you leave the phone in the car and lock it with the lock icon on the screen, the doors will not open when you pull the door handle.

• Informative x 5
  11. Randy Spencer

That should be in the Owner's Manual. Thx!

-Randy

12. ngogas

ngogas Active Member

Good to know. Don’t leave phone in the car when enabled as a key. It’s like leaving the actual ice key on top of your ice cars roof. lol.

• Like x 1
  13. brandonee916

brandonee916 Member

Disable Auto-Unlock on Park as well.... I did this to increase my security when parked. It will only unlock once I tap the icon, or open an interior door.

• Like x 3
    • Informative x 2
  14. Watts 4 Me

Watts 4 Me Member

Thanks,I will do this as well.

15. chronopc

chronopc Active Member

Good to know tapping the lock icon keeps the door locked. Will come in handy if someone is chasing me and trying to kill me.

• Funny x 2
    • Helpful x 1
  16. Arizona Willie

I left my card in the car the other day and had to use my phone app to get in.

17. Randy Spencer

I had to revoke my wife's phone key as she tends to leave it in her purse in the car and we walk away. I think my phone is locking the car as we move away, but her phone is keeping the car unlocked, in danger of being stolen, and could act as a key if someone wants to steal the car. Good Gosh! She feels if we needed a phone we could use mine. Not sure how people who want to reach her feel about this.

She still has her card key if she needs to access the car when I am away, but no one will find it in her purse if they get in the car, Indiana Jones couldn't find things in her purse.

-Randy

• Funny x 2
  18. 5_+JqckQttqck

5_+JqckQttqck Active Member

How do you lock it and still get out? Wouldn't that trigger the alarm?

19. GolanB

GolanB Supporting Member

FYI, anyone who leaves their phone charging (overnight for example) in proximity to where their car is parked will have the same issue. Your options here are moving the phone a greater distance away from the vehicle or placing the phone into Airplane mode. Disabling Bluetooth on iPhones is only a temporary measure, as recent releases of iOS will automatically re-enable Bluetooth the following day.

Proximity is more of an issue with attached garages, but its something you may want to investigate (test) if you're concerned.

20. TE51A

TE51A Member

Yup my room is next to my car I turn off Bluetooth overnight.