Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Locking in a price in anticipation of the Federal Tax Credit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is like that in virtually every state as EV‘s do not pay gas tax which pays for roads. Fee in lieu of taxes
Every car in NC has a 3% Highway Use Tax with no cap and at least where I live another ~1% annually in property tax. And we have yearly inspections. There is an EV fee on top of that. How does that compare to your state?

I know in NJ for example, there is no sales tax on EVs. I would rather pay a couple hundred dollar fee to save thousands on sales tax.

Last edited:
Every car in NC has a 3% Highway Use Tax with no cap and at least where I live another ~1% annually in property tax. And we have yearly inspections. There is an EV fee on top of that. How does that compare to your state?

I know in NJ for example, there is no sales tax on EVs. I would rather pay a couple hundred dollar fee to save thousands on sales tax.
Yup I live in NJ no sales tax for my Model Y. And also got the $2k rebate they offer. Plus having my charger installed for free on Tuesday.

In South Carolina the only EV specific fee I pay is a biannual $120 fee or $60 per year which is intended to supplant my lack of paying a gas tax. That is very cheap and is expected to increase sometime soon per the state legislature. There are other fees but those are for all cars and not EV specific.

The democratic controlled states such as CA or NJ may give you a tax rebate or drop the sales tax for an EV, but they are taxing you elsewhere heavily to make up for it. Low tax states already tax you less so there are no rebates. No such thing as a free lunch!

Reactions: raptor5244
In South Carolina the only EV specific fee I pay is a biannual $120 fee or $60 per year which is intended to supplant my lack of paying a gas tax. That is very cheap and is expected to increase sometime soon per the state legislature. There are other fees but those are for all cars and not EV specific.

The democratic controlled states such as CA or NJ may give you a tax rebate or drop the sales tax for an EV, but they are taxing you elsewhere heavily to make up for it. Low tax states already tax you less so there are no rebates. No such thing as a free lunch!

Right, there is no free lunch. Is the low vehicle tax in SC the reason the roads are so bad? Just kidding! :cool:

Last edited:
Reactions: Jeremy3292
Right, there is no free lunch. Is the low vehicle tax in SC the reason the roads are so bad? Just kidding! :cool:
Believe it or not they have actually raised taxes in the past five years (but still overall comparatively low) to fix the roads which is why the entire state is under construction currently as they are catching up on decades overdue projects. They’re going to build an interstate to Myrtle Beach in the next five years as well with all the inflation money they got from the federal government too. But yes that is why historically 😄

Reactions: RobC2
LoL, so true! I'm in CA. My M3 RWD was $41,440 with destination/order/doc fees. Here is what I paid to the state of CA on top of that:

$3885 sales tax
$279 registration
$268 license fee
$7 tire fee
$30 electronic filing fee (so if we print it on paper we don't have to pay this? that's stupid)

But they graciously gave me a $750 "clean fuel" rebate....It still amounts to a significant tax paid to the state for the pleasure of purchasing a car. I'll take lower taxes and no rebates thank you.

Reactions: Jeremy3292
LoL, so true! I'm in CA. My M3 RWD was $41,440 with destination/order/doc fees. Here is what I paid to the state of CA on top of that:

$3885 sales tax
$279 registration
$268 license fee
$7 tire fee
$30 electronic filing fee (so if we print it on paper we don't have to pay this? that's stupid)

But they graciously gave me a $750 "clean fuel" rebate....It still amounts to a significant tax paid to the state for the pleasure of purchasing a car. I'll take lower taxes and no rebates thank you.
Precisely - here is what I paid in South Carolina:

$500 sales tax (capped per state law)
$120 biannual EV fee or $60 per year

I paid the standard DMV fees like tag, title, and registration as well but those are the same for gas or electric vehicles and wasn’t that much money, maybe $100 total. My local county property taxes were around $700 and that is based solely on the current value of the vehicle which again would be the same for a gas or electric vehicle if they are the same cost. That will obviously decrease as the car depreciates every year.

Reactions: TexaCali