Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Locking in a price in anticipation of the Federal Tax Credit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes it's infuriating. The bill as written is the opposite of progressive. My guess is it's another handout for the "big 3" automakers, just like the union subsidy. They've focused their manufacturing and profits on SUVs and trucks, and I'm sure they plan to continue that with EVs.
Agreed with this 100%

Who/How would increase SUV's and Truck's to 80k with sedans left at $55k. In this world of fair and equitable, this is the opposite... BUT, what do we expect from our legislators, actually doing something for their constituents vs. Big enterprise? ROFL

Reactions: tm1v2
If you go on hold after getting a VIN, does that mean you will get the same car when you get off of hold, or does it depend? I put an SR+ on hold until January. With the changeover to the RWD model (and worse 0-60) I would prefer to get an SR+, but it seems to be a crapshoot.

I hope folks understand that the bi-partisan infrastructure deal signed by POTUS today does not include a single cent for the extension of EV tax credits (...)
the EV tax credit which is proposed would fall under the BBB (build back better) proposal which is separate and unlikely to get any GOP vote in the Senate and likely not even enough Democrat Senator votes ... additionally: phasing tax credits by country of origin likely violates USMCA which was ratified just a few years ago. so yeah... let's not get too excited about more "free" money

Those are all spot-on takes. For someone who would qualify under the income and vehicle price tests in the current version of the bill and has no downside to deferring purchase, I can understand holding off. The rest of us at least will have some early gratification.
Agreed, since each individual situation is different.

In my case, my current car is in excellent shape, so it is OK for me to wait well into 2022 and I also do qualify based on my income level. The possibility of an $8K tax credit in 2022 is just too big to ignore in my case.

I stopped by the local Tesla store today to check out the changes they made to the 2021 model year. Had an interesting conversation with the sales guy. I never know what to believe from these guys as almost everything the reps have told me so far has generally been wrong.

One example today was my discussing the CA rebate with him. I told him that I was not eligible because I already received the incentive on my current Model 3. He tells me there is no limit to the number of rebates you can apply for. So I pull up the CA EV website and show him where it says limit one per person. So he responds “yeah well you can always have your spouse apply for it”. Well OK, but how about the first statement you made that was completely wrong? And what if you don’t have a spouse, of they already applied for the rebate as well?

Anyways, he brought up an interesting thought. He said I could place a deposit on a 2021 Model 3 but keep the order in suspense for up to a year. Then if the federal tax credit extension passes and Teslas become eligible for the rebate, I can take delivery. I asked him if Tesla was locking in the price at the time the order was placed. He said he wasn’t sure.

Has anyone else talked to Tesla about doing this? At the moment I can order a white LR/AWD/18” aero car for $44,490 after deducting the $1,500 CA Clean Reward. If Tesla was willing to sell me the car at this price and it was eligible for a $7,000 tax credit, that would be a great deal.
I honestly think they get their info from these forums and not from corporate.

Agreed, since each individual situation is different.

In my case, my current car is in excellent shape, so it is OK for me to wait well into 2022 and I also do qualify based on my income level. The possibility of an $8K tax credit in 2022 is just too big to ignore in my case.
just wait until midterms ... that should clarify future of BBB if its not passed before

Its going to happen this year or its not. The way reconciliation works is that they have to use or lose it this calendar year. Plus, it will be even harder to get enough votes in an election year for additional spending from centrists.
yeah. true. they could barely get the much smaller bi-partisan deal across the finish line in the House and BBB has not enough support in the Senate to get to 50 + VP votes. if BBB passes it will be further scaled back and unlikely that tax credits for $50k+ vehicles will be included...

yeah. true. they could barely get the much smaller bi-partisan deal across the finish line in the House and BBB has not enough support in the Senate to get to 50 + VP votes. if BBB passes it will be further scaled back and unlikely that tax credits for $50k+ vehicles will be included...
Right now the limit is at $55K and most likely it will stay that way but as you said, the BBB package as a whole will be hard to pass. We’ll know soon but my plan is to take delivery in first half of 2022, waiting for the midterms is a far reach even for me 😀

Reactions: aaronkase
I’ve had our model 3 performance for a while, and recently took delivery of a y performance. Wow, it has firmer ride quality out of the box. Tempting to sell and order a long range in 2022. Tesla has been aggressive in price increases, I wonder if they will have more?