Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Locking in a price in anticipation of the Federal Tax Credit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It may be, that for many, if you hold your order till 2022, you will need to pay the 2022 price.
No assurance from anyone if the Tax Credit will be passed for your specific car, how much it will be, and what date it will go into effect.
Tesla must do what it needs to do to get all their 2021 production delivered in 2021.
Right now, most trade ins have very high valuations. No assurance of what the used car market pricing will be in 2022.
Current Federal and State offerings are not transparent, and lots of behind the scenes wrangling going on.

Many want to stack all the benefits of earlier pricing, latest vehicle improvements, hightest tax credits, great trade in values and getting super high demand vehicle models. Like playing Squid games where you don't know the rules until after you make your choice.
We all know there are no assurances. It's all calculated risks. Risks I'm fine with, and I think there is a decent chance of it working out as planned.

I'm just applying the same simple principles I use in the stock market, timing the market, as well as, buying low and selling high.

I'm hoping for the unicorn situation where I Buy Model Y LOW > Sell Used Tesla HIGH > Take delivery when tax credit HIGH. I see nothing wrong with this plan and it will definitely work out the way I hope it will.

It may be, that for many, if you hold your order till 2022, you will need to pay the 2022 price.
This is not correct. Unless you change your original configuration or Tesla cancels your order (which they do usually only if you hold for more than 6 months or so), the price on your order date is effective. I ordered before the latest price hike, my order is on hold, and I still see the original order price in my order details.

The BBB bill limits sedan to $55k including destination charges. Tesla will probably keep make all the configurations of the LR AWD under 54k to qualify. So 2022 prices might be cheaper than 2021 for some configurations.
They raised the prices on the model 3 RWD in Canada. Disqualifying it from the current tax credit because it’s over the limit. I don’t think they care

Yup, it’s over this year and next year. Don’t count on anything being passed next year neither with the midterms coming up. Manchin will not budge, he’s the current President.

Don't count on it getting passed in 2022 either. Election year and the Democrats may pivot to voting rights and other things.

Also I did see that they don't even have bill text ready. The Senate parliamentarian hasn't reviewed anything and they haven't cleared the many procedural items either. So it's a long way off from being passed even if the Democrats all agree on something conceptually.

There are some aspects of the bill though that Manchin likes and hence, I believe some sort of it will pass in 2022. Whether the EV tax credits will be still in there, that is of course not certain. Well, everything is very fluid right now, let's see what happens after 1/1/2022.