Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

locking mechanism for the rear seat latch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sadly until it comes standard on the vehicle they'll just keep assuming they can get in and smashing windows.

That said, I'd love a solution anyways. Not that I've ever had a window smashed in such a fashion, but if I ever drive to SF...

my contention is that once there's something available, they'll start looking for it. they're already clearly looking before smashing the windows, since one of the solutions people seem to use is just leave the back seat folded down so they can see the trunk is empty...

my contention is that once there's something available, they'll start looking for it. they're already clearly looking before smashing the windows, since one of the solutions people seem to use is just leave the back seat folded down so they can see the trunk is empty...
Sure, seats down is easy to see. But any locking device is almost certainly going to be inside or behind the seat, so you can't see it.. they'll smash the window, then find they can't get the seat down. They either move on, or assume you REALLY got something to hide and prybar the trunk since they already busted the window ...

Whereas if it was a feature of the vehicle they'd eventually learn to ignore them.

Sure, seats down is easy to see. But any locking device is almost certainly going to be inside or behind the seat, so you can't see it..

i specifically meant some kind of overlay to put (and lock) the release handle, not the latch itself. my bad for not being more clear. something you can easily see through the window, so they know to move on before breaking the window...

as for pry-bar'ing the trunk, i just don't think these people are in it to do that. they're looking for a quick smash and grab, not taking a pry bar to the trunk and calling more attention to themselves when there may not even be anything in there (which they can't see if they can't get the seat down).

i specifically meant some kind of overlay to put (and lock) the release handle, not the latch itself. my bad for not being more clear. something you can easily see through the window, so they know to move on before breaking the window...

as for pry-bar'ing the trunk, i just don't think these people are in it to do that. they're looking for a quick smash and grab, not taking a pry bar to the trunk and calling more attention to themselves when there may not even be anything in there (which they can't see if they can't get the seat down).
Ah, perhaps like a replacement for the entire latch assembly (as I don't think any kind of add-on would work - there's not really anywhere for it to attach to that would be secure) that has an obvious lock cylinder or something (of course the car has no keys, so you don't even have to match the OEM cylinders... ). I was approaching this from the idea of something behind the seat that didn't require a key but that locked it by virtue of being inaccessible while the vehicle is locked (like most cars with locking fold down seats).

Or maybe a mix of both. A visible red lock indication that slides into view when whatever mechanism is engaged from behind the seat in the trunk. This would indicate it's locked, without needing any keys still.

I'd like to revive this idea.

It turns out a Yakima SKS lock core fits inside the opening of the latch assembly with room to spare, see attached photo.

2-pack lock core with shared key:
https://www.amazon.com/Yakima-8007204-SKS-Locks-4-Pack/dp/B0000AT0R9/

Video of how the rotating lock core mechanism works:

I can think of two designs that might be 3D-printable:
1. A press-fit plug, where the rotating lock core expands the plug. Less secure, but very compact. Drilling two holes in the existing latch for the lock core to grab onto would improve security.
2. A two-piece assembly which clamps around the plastic-to-seat-leather interface. More secure but bulkier. A traditional mini padlock might work better than the SKS lock core.

Either could be defeated using prying tools, but with a visible keyhole and "locked" position indicator, it may be a good deterrent. Actually, even a 3D printed plug with a fake keyhole, or a real but not mechanically connected keyhole might be sufficient. Has anyone thought of doing this?

Attachments

• lock.png
    lock.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 352
Reactions: crackers8199
If the lock is engaged with the seat folded down, does it prevent the seat from closing?

Since the design relies on interfering with the latch mechanism, perhaps a new latch could be designed which has a pop up lock state indicator that gets lifted into view when this locking mechanism is engaged, solving the visibly locked issue.

This clearly shows that Tesla has no excuse for not having some kind of locking mechanism as an OEM solution could easily remove almost no volume / height from trunk space. I'm hoping Tesla pulls their head out of their ass on this soon and starts fitting new vehicles with factory locks and if possible offers to retrofit them to the existing fleet (even if it costs a couple hundred bucks).

I wonder if we can easily tap the CAN bus someplace and pick up on the locked (and bonus points for valet) state of the vehicle and have an added motorized auto lock/unlock mechanism, so that when the car is locked the seats are locked automatically, and when unlocked unlocked. Sensing valet state would mean automatic locking of seats when in valet mode too. A more complex variation of this should be able to offer a way of defeating the automatic un/locking for if you want to keep them locked regardless, without having to remove/disable the motors (i.e., the motors actuator don't quite reach the actual mechanism, and a shim can be slid in place to enable them or out to disable them).

Exactly which of the 8 files (parts) do I need to have printed for just the simple latch (the one without the long extension)? Could this design also be printed in metal instead of ABS?
I see now that was a little confusing combining all the files together like that. I have added 2 zip files grouping them together and also updated the description on Thingiverse to be more clear. Thanks.

Reactions: BioSehnsucht