Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Locking Model 3 for surf session

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys.....need some help. I’ll drive to the beach with my board on the rack. I get there, park, need to leave my phone in the car and lock it while I go for a surf. How do I lock the car with my phone inside? Will the key card lock it? If so, if someone comes to the driver’s door handle and tries to open it, will the door unlock because it senses the phone Bluetooth inside? If the door stays locked, then I just have to find a place to hide the key card while surfing, ehh??

CAUTION: My wife and I went to the gym. I left my phone in the trunk. She took her phone and locked the car. I left the gym early, so asked her to unlock the car for me. But when she looked at her phone, the car was unlocked. When I got to the car I just open the door, got in, stepped on the brake pedal and it was ready to drive (with my phone still in the trunk).

I tried using my card key to lock the car with my phone in the trunk. Swiping the card locked (folded the mirrors). I put the card 5 feet away, then just grabbed the door handle and it opened. Again, ready to drive.

If you leave a phone with the app in your trunk, you have to turn it off. You can leave a card in the truck as it has to be a few inches from the console or door pillar to function.

My 2016 Camry detects the key fob. I can only lock the car with a key fob in the truck with my key fob outside the car. So you can't accidentally lock your key fob in the trunk. Maybe Tesla could program something similar. In the mean time they should give us a warning that we aren't locked.

• Informative
Reactions: DopeGhoti
Similar situation when one phone is left in the car while this phone is charging and was not removed. So when walking away the car will not automatically lock.

Also if the passenger unlock the car first, and the driver enter later. If the passenger leave later the car first, like dropping first in front of a restaurant to go online. Then the driver go to park the car. When the driver leave the car, the car will not lock itself because the car was unlocked by the passenger's phone. So be carefull. It's happend to me few time. The driver needs to manualy lock the car.

CAUTION: My wife and I went to the gym. I left my phone in the trunk. She took her phone and locked the car. I left the gym early, so asked her to unlock the car for me. But when she looked at her phone, the car was unlocked. When I got to the car I just open the door, got in, stepped on the brake pedal and it was ready to drive (with my phone still in the trunk).

I tried using my card key to lock the car with my phone in the trunk. Swiping the card locked (folded the mirrors). I put the card 5 feet away, then just grabbed the door handle and it opened. Again, ready to drive.

If you leave a phone with the app in your trunk, you have to turn it off. You can leave a card in the truck as it has to be a few inches from the console or door pillar to function.

My 2016 Camry detects the key fob. I can only lock the car with a key fob in the truck with my key fob outside the car. So you can't accidentally lock your key fob in the trunk. Maybe Tesla could program something similar. In the mean time they should give us a warning that we aren't locked.

What on earth did you think was going to happen when you left your phone in the car? :D You do not need to turn the phone off, by the way. You just need to turn off Bluetooth. Then you can leave the phone in the car. Also, the car does give you a visible warning the car isn't locked - the mirrors didn't fold in! I also have the audible beep when the car locks, so I listen for that as I walk away.

Reactions: Nogasmn
When i go out to surf, I use a lockbox and attach it to my rim. I put the phone in airplane mode, hide it in the car, lock the car with my keycard, then place the keycard in the lockbox.
Or you can Surf 'N' Surf to lock your car remotely...

intelsurf_lead.jpg

Turn bluetooth off on the phone instead of turning the phone off. Without the bluetooth signal the car will not "see" the phone key.

My only caution is that the AppleWatch does not open the car the same way the phone does. The phone opens and starts the car via a proximity sensor. The AppleWatch has to connect with the cell network and communicate with the car. Just like you using your phone to unlock or start the car from a distance, it takes a little time and patience for it to work. Plus, you have to be able to get a cell signal. There's also another app EV Watch that was only $1, but it's a little more simple.