Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Locking my Charger- Ideas?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've installed the Model 3 wall charger at my office indoors with the cable running outside for charging however I need a way to lock the actual plug in connector so that in the middle of the night or on weekends nobody comes by and charges with it. Is there something out there for this or does anyone have ideas on how to modify something? Quick and easy access is key- i'm thinking i'd install a retractable hose reel of some sort and use a biometric fingerprint lock on a large plug lock or something similar. Thoughts??

Is it really such a bad thing for another Tesla to drop by and use a few dollars of electricity? Many people do it as a favor to other drivers.

When electricity is .25 to .35 a kW it could become very expensive... especially because in a public settting once someone stops by, it will likely become their permanent charging station. There was already someone on this board who posted that this exact thing happened at the charger he installed in his office.

OP there is a thread here about this I read. see if you can find it. A lockout Tagout box is a good solution. I personally dont think "simple" and "biometrics" go in the same sentence.

Personally, I think the first solution would be to monitor the power consumed by the EVSE with an electric meter. Only if there’s a problem of people stealing electricity search for a solution to the problem.

As others suggested, you could keep the current Tesla Wall Charger and put it or the cable that goes to the car inside some sort of locked box. You could also flip off the breaker when not in use or have some other form of lockout on the power. While relatively low cost, you may not get something that’s unobtrusive.

WattZilla sells EVSEs that you can buy with a physical key to activate the system. They are nice because they can provide 80 amps, just like the Tesla gear. With a key lock , the single port WattZilla gear is just shy of $2,100.

Schneider Electric has EVSE units with RFID lockouts built in. These cost a little over $2k per outlet. You could replace your Tesla Wall Charger with that. No billing capabilities here, just need an RFID card before you can use the system to keep freeloaders from using power.

Nayax, a company that provides credit card readers to many vending machine companies, has an EVSE with a credit card reader. Electric Charging Stations | Best EV Charging Station Tel Aviv, Israel also comes in at about $2k per outlet, but can have a small subscription fee based off how you do chargebacks.

Of course, there’s also the 800 pound gorilla (ChargePoint), but they’re closer to $3,500 per outlet and also have a monthly subscription fee.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
I park in a public garage and I keep my Tesla Corded Mobile Connector in a (19" x 14") Steren lockable cabinet when not in use.

2018-11-28-evse-cabinet-closed-jpg.358314

2018-11-28-evse-cabinet-open-jpg.358315

I've installed the Model 3 wall charger at my office indoors with the cable running outside for charging however I need a way to lock the actual plug in connector so that in the middle of the night or on weekends nobody comes by and charges with it. Is there something out there for this or does anyone have ideas on how to modify something? Quick and easy access is key- i'm thinking i'd install a retractable hose reel of some sort and use a biometric fingerprint lock on a large plug lock or something similar. Thoughts??

Is it inconvenient to turn the circuit breaker off when not in use?

A photo of your current setup might help with suggestions. I’m not sure I get how you have the charger inside but cable outside. Are you trying to prevent people inside your building from using the charger or is the concern people plugging in the cable outside into their vehicles? I assume you are the building owner/tenant.

I recently installed a charging station in my condo parking spot and was worried about people charging when I was not home. After some trial and error I found a lockout tagout device on amazon that works perfectly.

ZING 7294 RecycLockout Lockout Tagout, Universal Plug/Forklift/Cylinder Lockout, Recycled Plastic

IMG_1917.jpg

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
Use a programmable timer on the wall outlet. That way it works for you during work hours and it's off any other time. There are smart plugs that you could even control with your cell phone.
That way, there's no reason to lock the Tesla connector, there will be no electricity at the other end...

EDIT: Just realized I've assumed you were plugged into a 5-15... If you're using another plug (14-50 for example) then I don't know if there are programmable timers available.

Last edited: