Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Locking outdoor NEMA 14-50 enclosure?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm going to be installing the NEMA 14-50 outlet outdoors - the incoming Tesla will live in the driveway.

I'm wondering - is there an outdoor rated enclosure that fits the mobile charging cord and locks around the plug? I'd like to leave the cord permanently plugged into the outlet, and would like to keep passer-bys from being able to remove it.

Thanks.

Yes, go to Depot, you can buy complete box, Wire and 50 amp double breaker. I put mine on side of house. Took one hour. Watch you tube videos , very easy.
Actually that is easy. Not sure you can lock that box top with connector. I am not home right now. But i think so. Go to depot.

I picked one up at the local Platt. It only has enough clearance to lock with the UMC that has the molded on connector, not the one with interchangeable connectors. If that means buying another UMC you might as well just do the Wall Connector, as it will look better and cost about the same. Some people have done a wall-mount box with a notch and then a standard outlet inside it, allowing them to lock the whole box. Here's a few options: Anti-theft solutions for UMC in public garage?

You can fit a 14-50 in a 1/2 height box lockable. It is tight!

IMG_0435.JPG
IMG_0436.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0563.JPG
    IMG_0563.JPG
    301 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_6941.JPG
    IMG_6941.JPG
    239.7 KB · Views: 102
Just realized that a spare mobile connector (to leave locked to the outlet) costs the same as a wall connector. So, never mind. :)

I think I'll just get a wall connector, instead.
The Wall Connector is also a beefier piece of equipment, built to be installed outdoors, that will probably last longer than the UMC. It also gives you more flexibility for circuit sizes, for instance you could wire it for 48a or 72a charging if you wished.

The Wall Connector is also a beefier piece of equipment, built to be installed outdoors, that will probably last longer than the UMC. It also gives you more flexibility for circuit sizes, for instance you could wire it for 48a or 72a charging if you wished.

Yup. Assuming the electrician OKs it, I plan to wire for the full 80A, even though the car only takes 48. Future proofing.