Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Locking Storage Compartment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have looked through the Tesla aftermarket accessories vendors, and searched through the forum, but I haven't found anyone who has made a truly locking compartment for the Model S, where valuables can be stored under lock & key within the vehicle.

The frunk would be absolutely ideal, but since the lock can be easily defeated with the first responder override (to get to the high voltage disconnect), it won't work.

Has anyone tried fashioning a locking cover for the rear trunk well? I'd prefer not to have to put a small safe in the vehicle for weight reasons, so a metal cover for the trunk well with a lock on it might work well. Any other ideas?

The glove compartment and frunk should both electronically lock while in valet mode.

Of course, both can be manually opened - the frunk has a manual release - the glove compartment can likely be forced open.

For most people, disabling the electronic locks in valet mode should be enough security to protect their belongings, making it difficulty to quickly get into the locked areas.

Even if a non-electronic locking cover could be installed over the rear storage compartment - that probably isn't a guarantee that the lock couldn't be defeated - it only makes it harder to get into the compartment.

Plus, there's always the possibility of someone towing the car - and then breaking into the compartments...