TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Locking the car

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by Notacarguy, Oct 21, 2014.

1. Notacarguy

Notacarguy Member

I understand that the car will lock itself once I leave with the key fob. Is there a way to set how much time passes before this happens?

2. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Not that I am aware of.

3. LucM

LucM Member

You can also lock it with the FOB - one click to lock, two to unlock. Dont know if you can adjust timing on the auto unlock.

4. MikeC

MikeC Active Member

I think the timing depends on how fast the fob gets out of range. So if you want it to lock faster, just run...

5. Alysashley79

Alysashley79 Member

Nope it's a set time. Within seconds. (10 or 15 seconds) its quick tho as you walk away you can see the handles retract signifying that the car is locked and the lights flash as well. (So um you don't need to run or sprint with your fob) itll still lock at the same intval as if you walked away.

6. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

It's actually both, according to the Sunnyvale techs. They spent an hour diagnosing door handle issues on my car and answered a lot of questions. Once the key is out of range, a timer starts. Once the timer expires, the doors lock.

So running would get the key out of range and start the timer faster (not that this would get the doors locked more than a second or two earlier).