Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Locking wheel nut

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Best safety feature is to get lug nut covers, the suckers working the night will take a while to figure out what is going on especially if matching the color of the rims, and may not have the special pry tool:

Does the Car come with locking wheel
Nuts and if so where are they kept. Thanks
They do not, Tesla sells them separately:

They do not, Tesla sells them separately:

And, they are completely different than the McGard style ones. I got a set as soon as I had found this out. A bot more expensive but what the heck. I will put caps on the lugs when I receive them.

I contacted Gorilla Automotive and they recommended Part #78643 for the 18" wheel with aero covers. I purchased them, but when I installed discovered that the seating area of the wheel lock was significantly smaller than the OEM lug nuts (photos attached). The Gorilla Rep. first told me they were the same, but when I sent him photos he conceded they were smaller. He still thinks they will be fine, but I am not wiling to risk wheel damage. The price was good and I like that all the lugs are locked (conversation with Gorilla Rep. attached). I know that wont stop a thief from pounding a socket over the wheel lock to get it off, but I am hoping he doesn't carry 20 sockets :)

They also make Part# 96643BDX that is a covered lock, but evidently too tall to fit under the aero wheel covers.

Any recommendations for a decent quality wheel lock at an affordable price? I guess their is always the Tesla wheel locks, but was hoping to do at least 2 locks per wheel and a better price

Attachments

• IMG_2304.JPG
    IMG_2304.JPG
    210.1 KB · Views: 360
  • IMG_2305.JPG
    IMG_2305.JPG
    308.4 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_2307.JPG
    IMG_2307.JPG
    365.5 KB · Views: 105
  • Re_ gorilla-auto.com - General Inquiry Form.pdf
    321.3 KB · Views: 158
And, they are completely different than the McGard style ones. I got a set as soon as I had found this out. A bot more expensive but what the heck. I will put caps on the lugs when I receive them.
The McGard locks are passe. I had them on my Q50. The first time I took it in for service I told the SA my key was in the console. He said "that's Ok, we have a master." Really? How many people have this master and where can I get one?

The locks available from Tesla are a different design.

Reactions: SWIPE
Question, so I got the wheel locks and installed last night. The torque is 129 lbs, started the first wheel with 129 lbs, but ended the fourth wheel with 128.7 ish as the torque wrench seems to loosen a bit throughout the process, only found out in the end. Will the 0.3 ish margin error give me problems down the road?

Question, so I got the wheel locks and installed last night. The torque is 129 lbs, started the first wheel with 129 lbs, but ended the fourth wheel with 128.7 ish as the torque wrench seems to loosen a bit throughout the process, only found out in the end. Will the 0.3 ish margin error give me problems down the road?
no....not really, but I would check them all again in 100Miles....

Reactions: cc333
The McGard locks are passe. I had them on my Q50. The first time I took it in for service I told the SA my key was in the console. He said "that's Ok, we have a master." Really? How many people have this master and where can I get one?

The locks available from Tesla are a different design.
Walmart had a McGard external sleeve grab kit on sale not so long ago, everyone in the ghetto knows how to get around a McGard.
Gorilla Guard on the on other hand has false rotating sleeves making them very safe, correct me if kit #61641 is not the right one. I
ordered the 61641-2K two key variety on Ebay.

Last edited:
Sorry about bad info above, canceling Ebay order, the above will stick out terribly
and likely prevent both OEM Aero wheel covers and wheel cap kits from fitting.

Better solution for users of both the OEM covers/wheel-cap-kit is this low profile
one: 78641N

The flipside is that the criminals would have to pry them off to see the lock.

Decided to go this way because I am not a fan of the locks sticking out like tuner
lugs because of the very shallow Aero counterbores.

LOL I will get the car in October if I am lucky.

Last edited:
Huh? For real are are you just trying to be funny? Do you really believe your torque wrench is that accurate? I'm more concerned with the people that take your question seriously.