Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Locking wheel nuts and torque wrench in UK model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After giving up looking for thr locking wheel nuts I cam online to do some digging. Can't be bothered to wait for tesla customer support to answer my call.

So it seems locking wheel nuts are not provided with the car. Understood. So what I need to do is to upgrade the fog lights with some aftermarket ones. For this I need to take off the wheels fully.

I want to invest in a good torque wrench that I could use on any car. Would anyone recommend a good one that is universally praised ? The yanks have husky which everyone seems to like, what should I get?

The Halfords advanced range of torque wrenches are good but pricey at about £100. If you are just using it to righten wheel nuts then they are overkill, so just go for something inexpensive like the Sealey AK624 for about £41, which has a good reputation.

in terms of locking wheel nuts I wouldn’t bother. They are very easy to open with just a slightly bigger socket that you hammer over the locking nut and then undo as normal, so won’t stop you wheels being stolen by the determined thief. Having said that there really isn’t much of a market for stolen wheels like there used to be. The main reason is pretty much all cars now come with alloy wheels so it’s only really high end alloys (e.g. OZ) with common bolt patterns that are at risk.

Reactions: alitech
If you are just going to remove wheel nuts then you don’t need a full set, just a 21mm one as that is the size Tesla use. There are sockets designed for wheel nuts that have a plastic sleeve around them, so you don’t scratch the wheel. Here’s and example of a Wheel nut socket. I’ve no idea if this one is any good as I use ones designed for an impact wrench. If you are looking at a more general set of sockets there are plenty to choose from and as long as you avoid the really cheap end of the scale they should last for ages - I’ve had the same cheap socket set for over 30 years and have only ever broken one socket.

Reactions: Adopado
If you are just going to remove wheel nuts then you don’t need a full set, just a 21mm one as that is the size Tesla use. There are sockets designed for wheel nuts that have a plastic sleeve around them, so you don’t scratch the wheel. Here’s and example of a Wheel nut socket. I’ve no idea if this one is any good as I use ones designed for an impact wrench. If you are looking at a more general set of sockets there are plenty to choose from and as long as you avoid the really cheap end of the scale they should last for ages - I’ve had the same cheap socket set for over 30 years and have only ever broken one socket.
Definitely agree. I still have sockets that are probably older than some of the people posting on this forum … and none claimed to be professional quality. Different for someone working all day as a mechanic or for use with high power impact tools.