TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Locking wheel nuts

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Rlhm3, May 29, 2018.

1. Rlhm3

Rlhm3 Member

I searched the forums and found a post that said these fit the model 3:

Gorilla Automotive 78641N Acorn Open End Wheel Locks (14mm X 1.50 Thread Size)-Pack of 4

Around $15 on amazon.ca

There are also the official Tesla ones of course for around $65 I think.

2. 03DSG

03DSG Active Member

I bought the Gorillas as well. Quality product and a great price. Highly recommend them. Used them for years.

• Like x 1
  3. ZooSean

ZooSean ZOO

Ppl can afford 70-80 k car won’t mind a 50 $ original spend . But the problem is that they are always out of stock. I ordered in couple weeks , yesterday receive an email saying shipped but no tracking info.

4. ebatmobile

ebatmobile Member

Wheel locks are stupid. If a thief really wants your wheels, he or she will get them locks or not. It will just take them an extra 30 seconds.

• Like x 5
    • Disagree x 1
  5. 03DSG

03DSG Active Member

You lock the door to your house? What’s the difference. Both are just a deterrent.

• Like x 3
  6. jaguar36

jaguar36 Active Member

The difference is risk of getting broken into, vs the effectiveness of the deterrent. Not to mention the risk of losing the wheel lock key.

• Like x 1
  7. ebatmobile

ebatmobile Member

Not to mention the key is made from garbage material and strips after a bunch of uses anyways.

• Like x 1
  8. 03DSG

03DSG Active Member

Wheel locks are really no different than any other deterrent. Just another layer of security. Like a deadbolt. Worth it to some not to others.

• Like x 3
  9. ebatmobile

ebatmobile Member

I tried to google stolen tires in Toronto and found nothing. Is this actually a crime people commit? The effort vs. reward is brutal.

• Like x 1
  10. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

Locks on the house are not ugly. The key for the house lock gets used every day so the key does not get lost. The key for the house lock does not get worn out after you use it a hand full of times.

• Like x 1
  11. Tony_YYZ

Tony_YYZ Active Member

In all the years and all the cars I've owned, I've not once had a lock nut key wear down on me. YMMV I guess.

• Like x 2
  12. 03DSG

03DSG Active Member

I get it. Some like wheel locks and some don't. Fair enough. Each to their own.

• Like x 3
  13. Rlhm3

Rlhm3 Member

Nice! Got my amazon.ca shipping notice today.

• Like x 1
  14. 03DSG

03DSG Active Member

I’m going to retract what I posted earlier about recommending the Gorilla locking nuts. When I actually received my car and removed a wheel nut to replace with a lock I noticed a significant difference the seating area (area of the lugnut that contacts the conical seat of the wheel. The stock TESLA lugnuts are very robust and have a much larger contact area. This may be due to the 129 lb/ft torque required on TESLA wheels. I subsequently ordered the TESLA locking lugnuts and ended up installing them instead of the Gorilla nuts. Check out the pics below to see what I’m saying:

Stock, Tesla lock, Gorilla lock:

977BFE26-6EDF-450A-BE09-78DDD2078EC2.jpeg

Stock, Tesla lock, Gorilla lock:

858A0D8F-F2E8-4340-89F7-9B9B7C6A71AB.jpeg

TESLA lock, Gorilla lock:

53B6ED93-9CE3-4040-8176-A5E6269E60DF.jpeg

• Informative x 2
  15. Mad Hungarian

Mad Hungarian Member

Compared to all the OE and aftermarket nuts I've worked with I'd say it isn't so much that the Gorilla has an unusually small seating area so much as it Tesla's that are on the large side. Nothing wrong with that, obviously Tesla likes a lot of seat engagement for whatever reason. But just for perspective I'd estimate the seat area of the lugs Ford uses on their current vehicles is at least 10% - 20% smaller than the Tesla lugs and many of their cars have recommended torque values in the 150 - 168 lb/ft range.
    I've never had a galling issue with the Gorillas or any other lugs/locks with that size seat, but for the small difference in price I can see why you might prefer to go with the OE Tesla ones.

16. 03DSG

03DSG Active Member

Ok cool. Thanks as always for your input and advice. Appears Tesla didn’t scrimp on the wheel stud/lugnut hardware.

17. enwhy

enwhy Member

Does anyone know if I can spray paint the locks black?

My 3 is black, and i took off the aero caps and installed the cap kit. So having 1 chrome lock is kinda....not desirable.

18. 03DSG

03DSG Active Member

#18 03DSG, Jul 16, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
    You could spray the lock with a flat or semi-gloss black Tremclad. I would first find a matching threaded bolt to thread the lock onto before painting. You don’t want paint on the inner threads. Then when you take off the lugnut your going to replace with the lock just spray some of the Tremclad into a very small container and use a small paintbrush to paint the flat end of the stud black. You end up with an all black look.

• Like x 1
  19. enwhy

enwhy Member

Great idea, thanks! Will report back when i get the chance to try it out.

20. Anto

Anto Member

What about the instant torque? It affects the design of many elements of the wheel including the specific tires they use and Ford, let's face it, don't have anything in the same range (power yes, instant? not so much).