Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Locking wheel nuts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I searched the forums and found a post that said these fit the model 3:

Gorilla Automotive 78641N Acorn Open End Wheel Locks (14mm X 1.50 Thread Size)-Pack of 4

Around $15 on amazon.ca

There are also the official Tesla ones of course for around $65 I think.

I bought the Gorillas as well. Quality product and a great price. Highly recommend them. Used them for years.

Reactions: Rlhm3
I’m going to retract what I posted earlier about recommending the Gorilla locking nuts. When I actually received my car and removed a wheel nut to replace with a lock I noticed a significant difference the seating area (area of the lugnut that contacts the conical seat of the wheel. The stock TESLA lugnuts are very robust and have a much larger contact area. This may be due to the 129 lb/ft torque required on TESLA wheels. I subsequently ordered the TESLA locking lugnuts and ended up installing them instead of the Gorilla nuts. Check out the pics below to see what I’m saying:

Stock, Tesla lock, Gorilla lock:

977BFE26-6EDF-450A-BE09-78DDD2078EC2.jpeg

858A0D8F-F2E8-4340-89F7-9B9B7C6A71AB.jpeg

TESLA lock, Gorilla lock:

53B6ED93-9CE3-4040-8176-A5E6269E60DF.jpeg

I’m going to retract what I posted earlier about recommending the Gorilla locking nuts. When I actually received my car and removed a wheel nut to replace with a lock I noticed a significant difference the seating area (area of the lugnut that contacts the conical seat of the wheel. The stock TESLA lugnuts are very robust and have a much larger contact area. This may be due to the 129 lb/ft torque required on TESLA wheels. I subsequently ordered the TESLA locking lugnuts and ended up installing them instead of the Gorilla nuts. Check out the pics below to see what I’m saying:

View attachment 317118

View attachment 317119

TESLA lock, Gorilla lock:

View attachment 317120
Compared to all the OE and aftermarket nuts I've worked with I'd say it isn't so much that the Gorilla has an unusually small seating area so much as it Tesla's that are on the large side. Nothing wrong with that, obviously Tesla likes a lot of seat engagement for whatever reason. But just for perspective I'd estimate the seat area of the lugs Ford uses on their current vehicles is at least 10% - 20% smaller than the Tesla lugs and many of their cars have recommended torque values in the 150 - 168 lb/ft range.
I've never had a galling issue with the Gorillas or any other lugs/locks with that size seat, but for the small difference in price I can see why you might prefer to go with the OE Tesla ones.

Compared to all the OE and aftermarket nuts I've worked with I'd say it isn't so much that the Gorilla has an unusually small seating area so much as it Tesla's that are on the large side. Nothing wrong with that, obviously Tesla likes a lot of seat engagement for whatever reason. But just for perspective I'd estimate the seat area of the lugs Ford uses on their current vehicles is at least 10% - 20% smaller than the Tesla lugs and many of their cars have recommended torque values in the 150 - 168 lb/ft range.
I've never had a galling issue with the Gorillas or any other lugs/locks with that size seat, but for the small difference in price I can see why you might prefer to go with the OE Tesla ones.

Ok cool. Thanks as always for your input and advice. Appears Tesla didn’t scrimp on the wheel stud/lugnut hardware.

Does anyone know if I can spray paint the locks black?

My 3 is black, and i took off the aero caps and installed the cap kit. So having 1 chrome lock is kinda....not desirable.

You could spray the lock with a flat or semi-gloss black Tremclad. I would first find a matching threaded bolt to thread the lock onto before painting. You don’t want paint on the inner threads. Then when you take off the lugnut your going to replace with the lock just spray some of the Tremclad into a very small container and use a small paintbrush to paint the flat end of the stud black. You end up with an all black look.

Last edited:
Reactions: enwhy
You could spray the lock with a flat or semi-gloss black Tremclad. I would first find a matching threaded bolt to thread the lock onto before painting. You don’t want paint on the inner threads. Then when you take off the lugnut your going to replace with the lock just spray some of the Tremclad into a very small container and use a small paintbrush to paint the flat end of the stud black. You end up with an all black look.

Great idea, thanks! Will report back when i get the chance to try it out.

What about the instant torque? It affects the design of many elements of the wheel including the specific tires they use and Ford, let's face it, don't have anything in the same range (power yes, instant? not so much).