Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lockout and Roadside Assistance was useless

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2015 Model S 85D. My wife was driving with my daughter and closed the door to walk around to get to the back of the car. The key is still in the car. The door closes and the doors lock. Nothing will open the car not even the app. The both of us (I'm at work) are trying to open the doors, trunk, etc to get the doors open while our daughter is stuck in the car (18 months old). She called roadside assistance and is on hold for 20 minutes. I open the chat with Tesla on their website...Nothing. No answer nothing. The people from roadside assistance won't speak to her because shes not me. I now call them and I'm on hold for 20 minutes. Once I finally speak to someone, they can't even get the door open or anything to work. This is now 40 minutes into this lockout. Someone calls a bodyshop down the street that works on Tesla's and they manage to get the door open thankfully.

40 minutes, 2 roadside assistance calls, 1 chat. Nothing is accomplished. I understand these things happen on any car, however I bought this car for the capabilities it has with the app and and technology. I may sound snotty, but this is unacceptable. The only thing that worked in this whole process is the climate control through the app since its currently 36 degrees here. My wife ended up being late to work, stuck outside in the freezing rain. My daughter stuck in the car.

This all just happened so if it seems like I'm ranting and not much makes sense that's why.

Sorry for your ordeal. It sounds harrowing and annoying.

Was this in a dead zone for cell coverage? If so, there would not be anything to do remotely which leaves your only option as mechanically breaking into the car. It is still odd that the doors would lock with the key inside. I have found that sometimes the door handles retract even with the key in my pocket. Pushing on them will prompt them to pop back out.

Reactions: Jkaufm32
Sorry for your ordeal. It sounds harrowing and annoying.

Was this in a dead zone for cell coverage? If so, there would not be anything to do remotely which leaves your only option as mechanically breaking into the car. It is still odd that the doors would lock with the key inside. I have found that sometimes the door handles retract even with the key in my pocket. Pushing on them will prompt them to pop back out.

It was in an area where there is good cell phone signal. I was able to connect to the car and turn on the heat, but nothing else worked on the app or from their end. We know about the handles retracting thing, but that wasn't the issue either.

Really unhappy with Tesla to say the least. I understand technology isn't perfect, but this was really beyond my lowest expectations.

In your Tesla Account, you can click on the "Account" option on the top right of the screen after you log in. From there you should see the "Contact" link. I have myself (Primary) and my wife (Secondary) listed there. I'd hope that would be enough to avoid this issue if it ever comes up in the future. Do you have your wife listed there?

I do find it odd that you can log in to the account and turn on the climate control but it won't respond to unlocking the car... I never would have figured that would be an issue.

In your Tesla Account, you can click on the "Account" option on the top right of the screen after you log in. From there you should see the "Contact" link. I have myself (Primary) and my wife (Secondary) listed there. I'd hope that would be enough to avoid this issue if it ever comes up in the future. Do you have your wife listed there?

I do find it odd that you can log in to the account and turn on the climate control but it won't respond to unlocking the car... I never would have figured that would be an issue.

She wasn't on there, so I just added her as the secondary. Thank you for that.

It was very odd. Also strange that even Roadside Assistance wasn't able to do anything remotely. The car has LTE and the MCU recently died so it has a new MCU in there as well (refurbished MCU1 from Tesla).