Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lockout on Tesla Wall Connector?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live in a city and will be installing my Wall Connector outside in a publicly-accessible space. Is there some sort of locking feature on the Wall Connector cable that would prevent others from surreptitiously using my charger "for free" while I'm away?

If not, it looks like I'd be looking at installing a ChargePoint Home charger, which would let me turn on/off the charger on a schedule (or from a phone app), so it would only be supplying volts while I'm at home and occupying the parking space. But that seems like overkill for the task -- can anyone suggest an alternate (cheaper?) charger which has an external "load management" interface that would let me easily enable/disable the charger when I'm away from home?

I live in a city and will be installing my Wall Connector outside in a publicly-accessible space. Is there some sort of locking feature on the Wall Connector cable that would prevent others from surreptitiously using my charger "for free" while I'm away?

If not, it looks like I'd be looking at installing a ChargePoint Home charger, which would let me turn on/off the charger on a schedule (or from a phone app), so it would only be supplying volts while I'm at home and occupying the parking space. But that seems like overkill for the task -- can anyone suggest an alternate (cheaper?) charger which has an external "load management" interface that would let me easily enable/disable the charger when I'm away from home?

Why not just put a disconnect box next to the WC and have a padlock on it. You just open the box and turn it off when you want. (Flip the breaker.) Depending on local code, etc. a disconnect box is required anyhow.

These could be possible solutions since I believe they would allow scheduled and remote controlled charging operation:

JuiceBox:
Residential: Electric Motor Werks, Inc. - JuiceBox EV Charging Stations
Commercial: Electric Motor Werks, Inc. - Commercial JuiceBox EVSE These provide:
  1. Authorized user support: Configure your EVSE fleet for usage only by permitted users, to charge only at specified times, and to balance charging loads to targeted maximum levels.
  2. Billing / Metering data: All charging data (on a time or per session basis) available to manager for billing and monitoring. Access data via; web portal, mobile portal, data export, APIs for integration.
  3. Future-Proof your site : Automatic load balancing ensures that you can add new EVSE in the future on existing electrical circuits, thus future proofing your site.
  4. Flexible installation : JuiceBox is designed to be highly variable for installation: plug in, hardwire, wall mount, or pedestal mount available. Default network connection is WiFi - Ethernet also available.
  5. Industrial-strength design : JuiceBox uses solid metal casings and robust cables and plugs, making it durable and reliable. At the same time, Juicebox is compact at just 11"x7"x3" and weighing ~19lbs with cables.
  6. Advanced energy management support : Optional JuiceNet API control lets you coordinate with onsite renewables, stationary storage systems, and building energy management solutions to keep energy costs in check by minimizing unwanted demand peaks and reducing utility demand charges.
  7. Grid Services : Speak with our sales team about smart-grid market programs in which utilities and grid operators pay you for charging at the right time.
  8. Emissions optimized : Our JuiceBox Green feature (optional) makes your JuiceBox grid informed, synchronizing with grid generation sources to make your charging as clean as possible! Wherever clean energy generation is available in the US, having a JuiceBox will mean a difference between an EV that's dirtier than a gasoline car and one that's cleaner. JuiceBox Green reduces CO2, NOX, particulate emissions, and hazardous mercury pollution, of which 50% is generated from coal-fired power plants.
  9. Advanced Energy Metering:
    1. Energy, voltage & current measurements with 0.2% precision - a revenue-grade meter is already onboard.
    2. Persistent storage of energy data (data survives power interruption).
  10. Built-in WiFi connects your JuiceBox ProC to our servers and unlocks a host of advanced EVSE management features: real-time and historical charging data on our website or through our smartphone app
  11. Indoor and Outdoor rated : perfect for outdoor pedestal mounting or inside parking garages.
  12. proudly-made-in-usa.jpg
    from domestic and imported parts.
  13. 3 year included commercial warranty : standard manufacturer's warranty for commercial use, 3 years past date of purchase.

Wiser Energy:
Schneider Electric &middot Wiser
Schneider Electric Wiser Large Load Controller and Disconnect-EER260LLCR - The Home Depot

I have an eMotorWerks WattBox 200 as part of our utility company's "PEV Pilot Program" ("PEV" = Plug-in Electric Vehicle) which provides a digital "submeter" of our Tesla charging... and their awesome iOS EV JuiceNet app and web portal.

I have 9 Wiser Energy Smart Plugs controlled by a Wiser Energy Coordinator that allow me to turn on/off individual connected appliances / power strips using Wiser Energy Monitor Pro iOS app including scheduling. They also provide each Smart Plug's energy consumption... Very useful to see where your energy hogs / vampires are.

All the eMotorWerks and Wiser Energy devices were purchased through OhmConnect which via our utility company's Demand Response Program makes these FREE. Use my OhmConnect Referral Code for a discount:
#OhmHour in effect until 4:00PM. Save energy to earn!

Disconnect is in the basement. Don't want to deal with that every time I park, although the "Schneider Electric Wiser Large Load Controller and Disconnect" that brokerdon suggested would work. It's $750, though (!) and home depot indicates it's been discontinued.

BrokenDon's suggestion of the JuiceBox was appropriate and helpful, too, thanks for that.

We currently rent out four parking spaces adjacent to ours. We'd eventually like to outfit them to allow renters with EVs to charge overnight in their spots. Installing charge point chargers though would impose a $20/month service fee on our renters, though. It would be nice to find something with less overhead.

Looks like something like the JuiceBox would let us put the chargers on a timer to casually discourage squatters (while allowing us to remotely enable the outlet first plug sharers who have made prior arrangements with us) and also monitor electricity usage to keep tabs on how much power our renters are using, without imposing a steep monthly service fee.

Can anyone offer other suggestions along those lines?

Relatedly: I seem to remember that one of the plug sharing apps let you volunteer your charger only for specific times of the day. So we could post our personal EV spot for community use only Tuesday/Thursday 10am-4pm or something like that. Can anyone remind me what app and/or network allows that?

Relatedly: I seem to remember that one of the plug sharing apps let you volunteer your charger only for specific times of the day. So we could post our personal EV spot for community use only Tuesday/Thursday 10am-4pm or something like that. Can anyone remind me what app and/or network allows that?
Just write it in the description of the listing on Plugshare. I don't know of any app or anything that handles enforcement of stuff like that.

Why not put a sign up and allow emergency use for a fellow tesla owner. I think most of us are/would be reasonable and not use it if not desperately needed. You might be happy someday if you get a charge from someone. Try it out a month or two, I am sure it would not hurt your bank....