Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Locks and being locked out

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Beta V

Author, Dad, Mentor, Technology Critic
Nov 8, 2017
Redmond, WA USA
When I picked up my 2023 MX, I was disappointed (to say the least) that they did not include even a single key fob. Instead, I was given two black plastic cards, clearly marked as Tesla keys. I was also told I could use my iPhone to get into my car once it was within Bluetooth range. Thankfully, the Tesla App paired with the car with a minimum of hassle. Pairing my wife's (far older) iPhone took a lot more effort.

Let me preface this with the fact that my wife had said "No." when I told her I was buying a new MX. I get to override her veto on very rare occasions, so she was quick to point out every bump along the way. I thought I had done enough by adding her (and my nearby daughter) as drivers. It seems not quite enough. She could not get into the car--not unless I let her in. Not cool. I asked the dealer to make this problem go away when I went in to have my license plates mounted. The agent said there was a setting that he would make sure was in the right state to let my wife open her door once I had unlocked the car. Too bad he didn't bother to make the change. I had to call the service department to find out which one it was and that seems to have solved that issue.

"Driver Door Unlock Mode​

Enabling Controls > Locks > Driver Door Unlock Mode only unlocks the driver door when you first unlock Model X. The driver door unlocks only if a key is present on the driver side of the vehicle and not the passenger side. To unlock the remaining doors, use the touchscreen, mobile app or press the key fob a second time."

I was also told that the Tesla app would not work if I was not connected to the cloud--either via WiFi or a cell network. Scary. I can see us walking away from the car at a remote location only to discover we're locked out and unable to call for help. I intend to test this theory after making sure the black card is in my possession.

At this same service call, I bought a new Key Fob--just for peace of mind. One reason is I wanted to be able to open the car as I walked up (my wife walks faster than I do) or hand the fob to a friend or Valet to use. Yes, I could have used the black card, but that would make it harder for everyone. It worked fine in the service center's lot. By nightfall, it had failed. I drove back to the SC and had them check it out. They had sold me a key fob with an all-but-dead battery (I hope). They replaced the battery and gave me a spare to keep in the car. Based on 6 years of experience with my former MX, the batteries should last at least a year if not 18 months. I expect the key fob they gave me had been sitting collecting dust in their parts department for some time.

One other point. In my 2017 MX, as I approached the car, the retracted mirrors (pulled in when the car is locked), extended just as my, or my wife's stomach was in range. The 2023 MX does not do that. Thanks. My bruises have begun to heal.

I think you have some basic misunderstandings of how this works with the 2022 and newer Model X. This radically different from the legacy Model X (and S).

First of all the PRIMARY key is your smartphone. The key cards are provided as a backup. The Key Fob (if you have one) is also a backup to your phone. When I picked up my X, the delivery folks made sure my phone app worked correctly (it did) and they sent me on my way. I set up the key cards and fobs, after delivery at home.
I was also told that the Tesla app would not work if I was not connected to the cloud--either via WiFi or a cell network. Scary. I can see us walking away from the car at a remote location only to discover we're locked out and unable to call for help. I intend to test this theory after making sure the black card is in my possession.
This is incorrect. Your smartphone will work as a key regardless of your connection to the Internet, or the cars connection to the Internet. It uses Bluetooth locally. This is fundamentally different from your 2017 (which requires Internet connectivity).
At this same service call, I bought a new Key Fob--just for peace of mind. One reason is I wanted to be able to open the car as I walked up (my wife walks faster than I do) or hand the fob to a friend or Valet to use.
Your phone should also work this way, except for the part about handing it to a valet. The fob is perfect for this. (Honestly, I never hand over my car to a valet regardless of the circumstances, but that is just me.)
One other point. In my 2017 MX, as I approached the car, the retracted mirrors (pulled in when the car is locked), extended just as my, or my wife's stomach was in range. The 2023 MX does not do that. Thanks. My bruises have begun to heal.
Your 2023 should do this with your smartphone or the Fob. You do have to have Location Services set to ALWAYS for the Tesla app. But it works as well as the key fob.

I've found that the phone as key is highly reliable. So much so that I rarely bother carrying the Fob. The only time I take it along is if I am getting the car washed or some other occasion where somebody else is going to drive it (very rare).

One advantage of the smartphone app is, it will work with multiple cars (I also have a Model 3). The Fob will only work with one car at a time.