TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Log File Reader

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by SuperB, May 12, 2009.

1. SuperB

SuperB Member

Anyone have info about how to read the log files created by the Tesla to the USB port?

2. Picasso

Picasso kllkkjlk

#2 Picasso, May 12, 2009
    Last edited: May 12, 2009
    hmm

Have you been able to download any? From what I understand just put in a USB stick with a DIR on it and it will put the logs on it. A few remote tesla roadster users have been sent info on how to pull the logs. If you could post or email one of the logs I will do my best to try and decode it.

My wish is for Tesla to be open about all the controls in the car, This also includes allowing us to write our own firmware. Sure it would void the warrenty but Im ok with that.

Also is a service menu you can access via the display, tap the screen 10 times to enter, need a code. Unsure if its tied to vin...thats the way Id do it. But I think the code is based on what firmware the car has.

You can also talk to the differnt control systems in the car. It IP over can.

Are you looking for errors with the A/C? You should get a temp probe stick it in the vent turn on on AC Full and check the temp. Report the temps you get on full at 2/5/10min mark and report to Tesla. From what I understand the AC is dumb and just turns on/off I don't think it will put any log fwd.

3. SuperB

SuperB Member

Yes, I created a log to send to Tesla.
    They put a .tar file on the USB device in a folder VehicleLogs, which must already exist. Pretty simple process.
    .tar files are just a type of file compression, I decompressed it and there are several files, most are not simple text files, so I can't read them. The text files don't have any meaningful info in them.

The logs were created to diagnose my PEM running hot, not the AC.

4. Picasso

Picasso kllkkjlk

5. johnr

johnr Member

6. Lennart

Lennart Member

Anyone found a way to read those files?

7. raymond

raymond Member

If anybody can give me a log file I'd be more than willing to give it a go.

8. mowcow

mowcow New Member

#8 mowcow, Jan 7, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2010
    Code:
    Linux version 2.6.11.8-2.1.0
    LPC2294
    release : vehicle-firmware-4.1.21.23 : 4.1.21 : 4.1.21/ : 23 :

9. scott451

scott451 KWH-PWR#1349Sprt,S Sig#96

Yes. What were you looking for?

-Scott

10. scott451

#10 scott451, Jan 7, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2010
    Log parsing

Kind of a boring log file... Lots of stuff in there, but only 20.1 miles on the odometer. Max speed was:

2009/sep/14 00:19:41 am, 29KW 79.5mph.

A couple of recent errors:

2009/Oct/12 23:54:37 Check left front turn signal bulb
    2009/Oct/12 23:54:38 Check left back turn signal bulb
    2009/Oct/13 00:53:57 Airbag must be serviced. Contact Tesla Service Center.

This log must have been pulled very early, as I can see back to the birth of the car...

-Scott

PS my parser is based on the 2008 logs. The 2010 logs are different in a number of ways, especially wrt charging, they removed one type and added another. It will take a while to decypher the logs for the 2010 charge info...

Attached Files:

11. mowcow

mowcow New Member

hey scott451, gj!

read please my pm. thanks!

12. Neb

Neb Member

Scott,

Can you share your parser with us?

Ben

13. scott451

#13 scott451, Jan 8, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2010
    I'm working on that... It will probably be web based, so you upload a logfile and it sends you the spreadsheet.

My parser works pretty well with the Model yr 2008 log dumps, but the 2010 are different. So I'm working on getting those issues resolved. Anyone willing to send 2010 logs, send me a PM.

-Scott

PS for your records take a log dump every three months, and right before going in for service...

[edit 11-18-2010: my log parser is now available. See attached file]

Attached Files:

14. Alpine Driver

Alpine Driver Member

Scott,

very interesting thing.

sent you PM. I would like to send a 2010 european logfile, so that this part is also covered.

Hope it does not matter, since the last firmware upgrade (tesla technicians came by), the car is in storage mode and did not move a mile.

best
    Martin

15. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

Interesting. Are you able to get battery temperature data from the logs? It seems to me that Tesla treats that data as proprietary or at least something that gives them a competitive advantage.

Last fall JB gave a presentation at a CARB symposium and quickly showed a couple slides with battery temp data. However, when that presentation became available online, those particular slides were removed.

16. scott451

#16 scott451, Feb 13, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2010
    Yes and no. It apears that there at four temperature sensors per sheet (11 sheets total). So 44 temp sensors cover 99 bricks. the logs contain only min/max temp of 44 sensors. As far as I can tell, all of the sensors are not logged, only the min/max and possibly the average temp.

Can you be more specific about the slides that were removed?

Thanks,

-Scott

17. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

Umm... I can't quite remember. I wasn't physically there. I was watching live online and no recording is available.