Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Log Parsing tool available

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks Tom, all this work unravelling the roadsters inner workings is fantastic.

Is there a guide for absolute novices (like me :) ), who have little knowledge of -p type commands etc.

I found a few articles on here but soon got out of my depth - would love to see more data in graphical form.

Color me biased, but I think the best resource is my page on extracting and parsing Roadster log files. It includes links to all of the log parsers I know about, including graphical apps for Windows and Mac. The graphical apps are an easier way in if you don't need the detail available from the command-line parsers.

Thanks tom - I guess I have a 'black hole' in my knowledge about anything to do with command line stuff.
I think I skipped ALL the Fortran thro' DOS classes :)
Maybe I am the only one who cant put your instructions into practice ? Any really really 1-2-3 dumb instructions ? or recommended background reading ?

Thanks tom - I guess I have a 'black hole' in my knowledge about anything to do with command line stuff.
I think I skipped ALL the Fortran thro' DOS classes :)
Maybe I am the only one who cant put your instructions into practice ? Any really really 1-2-3 dumb instructions ? or recommended background reading ?
Do you use Mac or Windows? Have you tried either of the graphical parsers?

Honestly, I wouldn't bother learning how to use the command line just to run my parser unless you have a specific need.

I don't have any specific plans to update it. I don't hear much from people reading it. Is there something specific you had in mind?

Nothing specific at the moment. In my spare time I'm writing a Log parser with GUI too, just for fun.
So that's why I'm interested in the format but if there's no interest at all I may ask you via mail for some details from time to time.

Nothing specific at the moment. In my spare time I'm writing a Log parser with GUI too, just for fun.
So that's why I'm interested in the format but if there's no interest at all I may ask you via mail for some details from time to time.
I just did a minor update. There's more than enough there to write a parser. I'm always happy to answer any questions you have, just send me a note.

• Helpful
Reactions: dhrivnak
Do you use Mac or Windows? Have you tried either of the graphical parsers?

Honestly, I wouldn't bother learning how to use the command line just to run my parser unless you have a specific need.
Hi Tom,
Windows and yes l use Doug's ?? TeslaFlux TeslaGLoP and love it !!
But, I see a lot more detail in the graphs and output people post from your Log parser, and wish my PC skills were better.
So I'll be watching Austrianer's up dates with interest (while I look out for a good 'command line for dummies' book :) )

Good luck Austrianer

Thanks Mark!

My intention to write a parser was to have the same graphical log parser on Windows and Mac, should also run on Linux (I'm using Java and SWT).
And yes, Toms commandline parser shows a lot more information than the graphical parsers do, so that was another reason :).

Reactions: Mark77a
Tom Saxton's command-line VMSParser still runs on my current Mojave but triggers the warning about not running on the next version of MacOS because they are going to discontinue support for 32-bit (i386) code. Tom hasn't been here in a while; I'll send him a poke via email.

I've been playing with linux for 6 months trying to get my race car working, in that tune I have forgotten so much I feel like it may be user error, as I a using so many different platforms and I am without a doubt a hardware kind of person, software melts my brain, I'm writing an idiots guide to Toms Parser as I feel like I'm learning all over again and may as well take pictures along the way

Reactions: Nvbob
Tom hasn't been here in a while; I'll send him a poke via email.
Maybe I should also email him. I think we could finally collaborate on updates to the log parser, and maybe that would result in an updated VMSParser that isn't 32-bit based.

I'm writing an idiots guide to Toms Parser as I feel like I'm learning all over again and may as well take pictures along the way
I put together a quick guide on using Scott Swazey's parser to view permanent errors. Any room for a section on another parser?

Amazing, I’m still trying read can bus messages! I feel like a dinosaur.
On a second note, I forgot to say many thanks
4DAB507F-01CD-4184-A067-BDD659EE9946.jpeg

On my way home from picking up my car.