Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Logan Chargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMO it is worth the extra $80 to not have to dig your car out if it snows after returning from a long trip...but that's just me...
The new(-ish) garage built on the old economy parking lot helps with digging out the car. Although in times of high travel (Christmas, spring break), the garage fills and they redirect you all over the place, including some open lots.

Looking at plugshare, it appears there are a pair of J1772's in the new Logan Express garage in Framingham, for those coming in from Metrowest:

Logan express Framingham lot | Framingham, MA | Electric Car Charging Station | PlugShare

If you can't get a charge there, you can always run over to the HPWC's at the Natick mall for a quick top-off when you get back from your trip.

IMG_4251.PNG
Really really need chargers or at least 120v outlets in the economy lots... this one was a very expensive 15 day trip to leave the car in central parking... no choice though, only option!

Yeah, the charging situation at Logan makes no sense. It's a total crapshoot whether anything will be available when you get there. We need lots of low power chargers, not a small number of high power ones. Imagine how many 120V outlets they could have provided for the price of those ChargePoints.

Reactions: PeterK
Yeah, the charging situation at Logan makes no sense. It's a total crapshoot whether anything will be available when you get there. We need lots of low power chargers, not a small number of high power ones. Imagine how many 120V outlets they could have provided for the price of those ChargePoints.
I've written to them twice about exactly this point. The only reply I got was about a year ago when they said they were reevaluating their charging plans.
IMHO, this is all just greenwashing.

Who did you write to? Would love to share some feedback.

So far I've had very good luck finding a charger by Terminal E on level 6 in central parking. But for anything more than a day or two it gets ludicrously expensive in a hurry.

I parked in the economy lot today for a 1 week trip. Left the car with about 80% charge, so depending on the weather I expect it to be 70+% when I return (which is good... because I do NOT have any place to charge at home).

On an unrelated note, does anyone know where the 11 "alternative fuel" parking spaces are on level 1 of the economy lot? I looked briefly today and couldn't find them.

Other cities (shout-out to my hometown!) have already gone the 120V route for their economy lots.

Portland Airport Adds 42 Electric-Car Chargers, At 120 Volts; Here's Why
They don't even need to provide L1 EVSE's. A bunch of 120V outlets would work. Bring your own cord if you want to charge.

Heck, I don't know why you'd bother to install L1 EVSE's; I can't imagine they are much cheaper than L2's at the same current. Clipper Creek's 12A and 16A units are $380 for L1 and L2.

VT has added a bunch of "EV L1 charging" to the park-n-ride lots off of 91. They're just duplex 120V outlets on some of the lamp posts in the lots. But they have pretty blue "EV pump" signs.

They don't even need to provide L1 EVSE's. A bunch of 120V outlets would work. Bring your own cord if you want to charge.

Heck, I don't know why you'd bother to install L1 EVSE's; I can't imagine they are much cheaper than L2's at the same current. Clipper Creek's 12A and 16A units are $380 for L1 and L2.

It's true that you can't beat the cost of an outlet. That said, there are a lot of drivers with plug-in hybrids (and even some, like me, with 80-mile EVs) who normally charge at home with their L1 EVSEs (typically mounted to a wall). Some of these drivers may not want to disassemble and re-assemble their home-charging setup every time they get on a plane, while others may not feel comfortable leaving their portable EVSEs unattended and out in the open for days at a time. I'd want to accommodate these drivers somehow, so if it were up to me, I'd provide at least a few L1 EVSEs in addition to an array of outlets.

It's true that you can't beat the cost of an outlet. That said, there are a lot of drivers with plug-in hybrids (and even some, like me, with 80-mile EVs) who normally charge at home with their L1 EVSEs (typically mounted to a wall). Some of these drivers may not want to disassemble and re-assemble their home-charging setup every time they get on a plane, while others may not feel comfortable leaving their portable EVSEs unattended and out in the open for days at a time. I'd want to accommodate these drivers somehow, so if it were up to me, I'd provide at least a few L1 EVSEs in addition to an array of outlets.

I agree. In addition, depending on the system used, the airport can probably get better data on how and when the chargers are being used. Also it makes the spaces more distinctive, to reduce chance of being ICEd. And a prankster can't come along and unplug someone from the wall. Probably worth a couple hundred dollars each.

I've never taken my Model S to Logan - only had it a week. I've often been pushed to remote parking with my ICE though. Will they let you into central parking if it is otherwise full in order to get to a charger? I live 2 hours from logan so I'm a little nervous to drive down with so much doubt. If I leave home with 80% charge I should have enough get to logan, get back to the Seabrook SC but it would be nice to know if charging is reliable.

The sixth floor in the central parking, where the chargers are located is reserved for electric and hybrid vehicles.

Hybrids get Logan parking perk

The sixth floor in the central parking, where the chargers are located is reserved for electric and hybrid vehicles.

Hybrids get Logan parking perk

I haven't parked at Logan in months - it's cheaper to cab or Uber if I am going away more than a day or two - but every time I've taken my Tesla I've been able to talk my way into central parking for the chargers. Since I have plenty of range I usually just park in any open green/hybrid or normal spot, and leave the chargers for Leafs, etc.