Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Logged a feature request for memory setting for Passenger Seat with Tesla Support

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Love my new Model S and have been pretty busy taking my friends for a demonstration ride. One outcome is that the passenger seat has been adjusted by my friends and my family isn't happy with the seat adjustments that need to be redone every time they take to the front passenger seat. It would be a great option to have memory settings for different family members.

Talked to Tesla support and mentioned that it would be a good-to-have. They offered to log it as a new feature request. If you like to have this as a feature, plz respond to the thread and perhaps someone in Tesla will take notice :).

From a feasibility standpoint, I am not sure if the hardware, software constructs exist to make this an over the air update. Many premium luxury cars do have this feature and it will be great to have this in all Tesla models. Just like any other engineering backlog, I am sure Tesla has many 'Must have' and 'Good to have' features lined up. But no harm in asking !

Reactions: Joshnickell
Folks - Here is a quick one pager I have whipped up before mailing it to Tesla Support. Appreciate feedback and comments from the forum.

Attachments

• PassengerSeatMemory_OnePagerSpec.JPG
    PassengerSeatMemory_OnePagerSpec.JPG
    324.1 KB · Views: 125
Reactions: Drewflux
Nice request, thank you. :)

From a feasibility standpoint, I am not sure if the hardware, software constructs exist to make this an over the air update. Many premium luxury cars do have this feature and it will be great to have this in all Tesla models. Just like any other engineering backlog, I am sure Tesla has many 'Must have' and 'Good to have' features lined up. But no harm in asking !

Often when no memory is offered for the passenger seat, it is because there is no memory or memory controls there. Audi, which I know the best, has memory modules for the front passenger basically only in the very highest end models (Audi A8), normally it is not available at all. Electric seats are just dummy seats and if you spec memory (often a separate option in Europe), they add it to driver's seat only, and this is because the memory feature actually means a difference in the seat electronics...

I don't know about the current Tesla premium seats etc., but the original Model S seats were like Audi. They did not have memory for the passenger seat at all, just hard-wired manual controls for the motors.

@wk057 reported on the original Model S seats:

Driver seat is on the left and includes the memory module. Passenger seat is on the right and is "dumb" (just power through switches to the motors). Both have an occupancy sensor.

2015-10-02-2013-05-55-1920-jpg.158288

Next generation seat retrofit, pics and tinkering with old seats

Last edited:
Would be nice if they also looked to see if there was a passenger in the seat before turning the seat heater on when you return to the car.

Most cars seem to cancel the seat heater when the car is powered off. Since the MS seems to remember it’s on. If the passenger doesn’t get back in, it should know that based on the seat sensor and cancel it.

Nice request, thank you. :)

Often when no memory is offered for the passenger seat, it is because there is no memory or memory controls there. Audi, which I know the best, has memory modules for the front passenger basically only in the very highest end models (Audi A8), normally it is not available at all. Electric seats are just dummy seats and if you spec memory (often a separate option in Europe), they add it to driver's seat only, and this is because the memory feature actually means a difference in the seat electronics...

I don't know about the current Tesla premium seats etc., but the original Model S seats were like Audi. They did not have memory for the passenger seat at all, just hard-wired manual controls for the motors.

@wk057 reported on the original Model S seats:

2015-10-02-2013-05-55-1920-jpg.158288

Next generation seat retrofit, pics and tinkering with old seats

Thank you @AnxietyRanger . I had read this post before and that is where I got doubts if the hardware, software support exists for the passenger seat. If it doesn't then I think we have to wait until the next version of the cars. The two cars I have seen this in are a Merc S class that I took a test drive and a Porsche Cayenne. I am not sure about the trims but I agree with you that only the high-end models have this feature.

Would be nice if they also looked to see if there was a passenger in the seat before turning the seat heater on when you return to the car.

Most cars seem to cancel the seat heater when the car is powered off. Since the MS seems to remember it’s on. If the passenger doesn’t get back in, it should know that based on the seat sensor and cancel it.

@Robotpedlr , that is a good point. I will add it to the feature list.

Would be nicer if they exposed the seat heater buttons on the App, so you can select which ones you want on/off whenever you choose.

Seat occupancy should not be a pre-condition for having heater on.

And I don't know why there are different rules between front seats and rear seats as to when they stay on or go off (on their own). I'm forever re-turning on rear seats when the front have maintained their settings.

Off topic. It would also be nice to control heated mirrors independently of anything else. You have to use the REAR defrost button to turn on mirrors. Why not just touch the mirrors on the heater screen and have them come on for a timed amount?

HECK YEAH! I'm 6'3", and my wife is 5'2" -- and we swap driving at every supercharger (we fairly often do full-day trips). Driver's seat: a cinch. Passenger seat: a total PITA. It would be SO easy to have memory positions for the front passenger!
Totally agree. We do the same. It could even be linked to the driver profile in our case as both seats would adjust when we switch drivers although I can see downsides to this.

Keep in mind that this forum might be viewed on occasion by Tesla employees but is not affiliated with Tesla.

Love my new Model S and have been pretty busy taking my friends for a demonstration ride. One outcome is that the passenger seat has been adjusted by my friends and my family isn't happy with the seat adjustments that need to be redone every time they take to the front passenger seat. It would be a great option to have memory settings for different family members.

Talked to Tesla support and mentioned that it would be a good-to-have. They offered to log it as a new feature request. If you like to have this as a feature, plz respond to the thread and perhaps someone in Tesla will take notice :).

There is no data connection between the passenger seat and the MCU, so this cannot be done via a software update. Cars with the movable headrests *might* be different. But I've confirmed this with engineers on the pre-moving headrest cars.

There is no data connection between the passenger seat and the MCU, so this cannot be done via a software update. Cars with the movable headrests *might* be different. But I've confirmed this with engineers on the pre-moving headrest cars.

I wonder if the pinout of the MCU and BCM is full? If not combine a RHD drivers seat, software flash and a sub harness. Then start selling as a retrofit option.