Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Logic of Keep Climate On?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I rarely use the touchscreen to keep the climate control on, but often do so from the app. We're inconsistent on whether we always close the doors when we get home (and home is a saved location). Sometimes (home and/or away) the climate control seems to stay on unexpectedly, but I don't think it's necessarily the next trip after I tell the car to keep climate on. Does KCO operate independently of driver profiles, does it reset to off after each trip, etc.?

IIRC, turning on climate via the app is NOT "keep climate on" and the climate will turn off the next time the doors are opened and closed (with no occupant detected in the driver seat upon door closure). On the other hand, the keep climate ON setting in the MCU will keep the climate on with door opening and closing regardless of detection of an occupant in the driver seat, and it is necessary to shift into and back out of drive before it will turn off (so even using summon turns it off). My memory on exactly what triggers each function may be a bit off, but I'm pretty confident that the behavior when turning climate on via the app is completely different than the behavior when setting keep climate to ON.

Reactions: Prairie
Finally managed to "catch it in the act". Came home yesterday and my wife had left the trunk and right FWD open. Climate was running freely as I walked past the car, but oddly the driver side was off. I didn't know that was possible. Both keys were inside the house and AFAIK not being moved, etc. Seems a bit odd to me.
IMG_8698.jpeg

Finally managed to "catch it in the act". Came home yesterday and my wife had left the trunk and right FWD open. Climate was running freely as I walked past the car, but oddly the driver side was off. I didn't know that was possible. Both keys were inside the house and AFAIK not being moved, etc. Seems a bit odd to me.
Not sure what you mean by "the driver side was off," but it sounds like you confusing other things and your OP wasn't really your question. Here is some more feedback that might help you understand whatever you're not understanding:

• The X has dual zone climate control, it can be turned on and off using the "SYNC" button above the temperature control(s) when you adjust the temperature. When it only shows one temperature, that applies to both sides (they are in SYNC mode), when it shows two temperatures, the settings can be different from one side to the other.
  • Unless you manually turn the A/C off, it will be on whenever ANY passenger door is open. FWIW, the hatch of the S is a "passenger door" in this context, but the hatch of the X is NOT a "passenger door" in this context. I have no idea why the S and X behave differently in this regard, but they do so consistently.

• Unless you manually turn the A/C off, it will be on whenever ANY passenger door is open. FWIW, the hatch of the S is a "passenger door" in this context, but the hatch of the X is NOT a "passenger door" in this context. I have no idea why the S and X behave differently in this regard, but they do so consistently.
On the 7 passenger S, occupants of the third row enter through the hatch, i.e. the rear passenger door. On the X, third row passengers enter through the FWDs.

Not sure what you mean by "the driver side was off," but it sounds like you confusing other things and your OP wasn't really your question. Here is some more feedback that might help you understand whatever you're not understanding:

• The X has dual zone climate control, it can be turned on and off using the "SYNC" button above the temperature control(s) when you adjust the temperature. When it only shows one temperature, that applies to both sides (they are in SYNC mode), when it shows two temperatures, the settings can be different from one side to the other.
  • We don't SYNC. Yeah, I know where the button is, but we don't do it (yet). So, if you look at the picture above, and you operate from a premise that we don't SYNC, why is the driver's side climate off (or otherwise why is the temp missing)?
  • How long until the A/C turns off if a passenger door is left open?

• We don't SYNC. Yeah, I know where the button is, but we don't do it (yet). So, if you look at the picture above, and you operate from a premise that we don't SYNC, why is the driver's side climate off (or otherwise why is the temp missing)?
  • How long until the A/C turns off if a passenger door is left open?
That is how it looks in SYNC mode. Maybe it switches between SYNC mode automatically depending on whether or not the driver door has been opened and/or whether or not an occupant is detected in the driver seat. Alternatively, and perhaps more likely, if you have separate driver profiles, maybe your wife's profile has it in SYNC mode.

Reactions: peety3
Mxnym is correct. I accidently triggered synch mode the other day and the temp goes to the right of the fan icon, just like in your photo. Hold the temp display to get the choice to have separate right and left temps. Play with it for a few times until you get the hang of it!

I have a July 2018 MX 100D and I am still finding things out. While driving last week I kept getting these long chime "bongs" that were driving me crazy and came at strange intervals without a visual display. Could not figure out what it was doing. I finally had to search through all of the sections on the control panel and finally found it but trial and error: the speed limit alert had been accidently set to "notify and chimes" mode and it was alerting me when I was speeding in town or on the freeway. I set it back to just "visual alert" and the chimes stopped!