Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Login to Youtube with google's Advanced Protection Program (Hardware 2FA)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I subscribe to Google's Advanced Protection Program, so I need to use a hardware dongle (USB/Bluetooth/NFC) as a second factor when logging into Google services like YouTube. The problem is that the YouTube player in the Telsa Model 3 is not supported by Google and when I try to login I get an error "This browser or app may not be secure".

Has anyone successfully logged into their Google account in their Tesla while enrolled in the Advanced Protection Program? if so, how did you do it?

BTW: The plex.tv trick doesn't work in this case.

Hopefully someone has figured this out. Thanks.

Google states that Advanced Protection Program will work on any device that supports chrome. Tesla's web browser is chromium based. But I'm not sure if the browser has access to bluetooth or USB which is needed to talk to the security key. They might be able to make it work, but I wonder how many Tesla owners this effects? I would assume it's a relatively low number.
As a workaround could you create a separate YouTube account for browsing videos in the Tesla?

Agreed, the numbers would small so it's going to be difficult for Tesla / Google to justify effort to fix. Hence, looking for a work-around. I've tried the USB hardware key on the TM3's USB port, but YouTube's authentication never gets as far as asking for it. Once it sees it's an unsupported browser it throws up the error message.

I could create a separate account, it'd be awkward at best. No subscription syncing, and I pay for YouTube premium so I'd also have to watch ads. I know first world problems. :) But still a pain.

i use a hardware token. i also have my phone as an auth tool.

google like to use the most secure option you have listed to authenticate, so what i did just to log me in was to disable my hardware token. this then moved my phone (note 10 plus) to the top of the list as the device to use for 2FA. once i entered my password , the next screen (the 2FA screen) showed "tap yes on your note 10..." message. that box popped up on my phone, and boom goes the dynamite, the browser was logged in. then i went into my google security and re-enabled my hardware token.

Reactions: smatthew
i use a hardware token. i also have my phone as an auth tool....

Unfortunately this did not work for me. With the Advanced Protection Program only the hardware tokens can be used as a second factor for authentication, all other factors like the prompt to "tap yes on your note 10..." are no longer available.

After much fussing around I've come to the conclusion that what I want to do can not be done.

In the end I un-enrolled out of the Advanced Protection Program, removed the hardware keys as 2nd factor authenticators. Authenticated using the plex.tv method, used the phone prompt as the second factor for authentication then added my 2 hardware keys back. This worked but it's still not as secure as google's Advance Protection Program, but sacrifices need to be made to not have to watch ads. :)

If anyone can figure this out I'll reenroll into the Advance Protection Program.

Thanks.

With the Advanced Protection Program only the hardware tokens can be used as a second factor for authentication, all other factors like the prompt to "tap yes on your note 10..." are no longer available.

yes sir i know of the advanced protection program and I use it. what i said was i disabled the hardware token temporarily. this then allowed my phone to act as the 2FA method. then i simply renabled.
of course you can disable 2FA entirely just to log in then re-enable it.

EDIT: I have not had to do this method at all since then and im able to stay logged into youtube/chrome and see my bookmarks and such normally.

Perhaps something has changed since you were able to login in. When I disabled my hardware keys from my account and only had my phone left as the only 2FA key it still wouldn't work, I could not login from the Tesla. I tried unenrolling, then was able to login from the car using my phone as the 2FA device, but once I reenrolled into the program Google automatically unauthorized previously authorized devices including the Tesla. Perhaps I'm doing something wrong, but I couldn't get it to work.

• Informative
Reactions: lUtriaNt
Sorry, I don't remember exactly what I did, but I do know I had to compromise and allow other forms of authentication in addition to my security keys. I might have use a single use backup code? Sorry, I just don't remember.

I am taking delivery of a new TM3 Highland on Sunday so I'll have to go through it again. If you haven't figured it out by then I'll post how I get through the login process.

Thank you, this is a bit frustration as I think I will need to unenroll from the advanced protection then try to enroll again.
I’m really wondering why Tesla isn’t using a phone Passkey as all the new browsers are doing now!!!