Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Logistics of Charging a Nissan LEAF and Model S in One Garage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I own both a Nissan LEAF and a Tesla Model S. The LEAF's included charger is only for a standard 15 amp 120 volt outlet, so I wanted a level 2 charger in my garage that could charge the LEAF faster AND also be able to charge my Tesla as quickly as possible within reason. The solution I purchased was a JuiceBox Pro 40. Then I wanted to figure out a way to have the charging cable super convenient for both vehicles. I created a video to show the solution I came up with. Hopefully this is helpful to others out there, and if you also have a great charging solution feel free to include your details and pictures of how you did it!

First, was is your house power service, 400 amps??? Or more?
How many empty double breaker slots in your box?
I installed a 40 breaker box. I added 2 RV drops, and Tesla drop.
New houses usually have a lot of empty slots. Electrician can tell u about adding circuits. And running the wiring for outlets. I do all of my work.

First, was is your house power service, 400 amps??? Or more?
How many empty double breaker slots in your box?
I installed a 40 breaker box. I added 2 RV drops, and Tesla drop.
New houses usually have a lot of empty slots. Electrician can tell u about adding circuits. And running the wiring for outlets. I do all of my work.

My main service panel is 200 amps. My house sub panel is 100 amps. My main service panel also has a 40 amp breaker in it where the solar comes in from the roof. My car charging circuit is 50 amps. I installed the car charging 50 amp circuit myself. There are many remaining empty circuits but I don't anticipate using them any time soon. The one car charging circuit I have works just fine for the two cars.

The solution I purchased was a JuiceBox Pro 40.
Then I wanted to figure out a way to have the charging cable super convenient for both vehicles.
Why make a full video for some so obvious question.
Why not having a charger for each car?
I always plug my car, even several times a day, so I don't forget.
Don't the JuiceBox allow you to share two box or at least to select different time to start and stop?

Why make a full video for some so obvious question.
Why not having a charger for each car?
I always plug my car, even several times a day, so I don't forget.
Don't the JuiceBox allow you to share two box or at least to select different time to start and stop?

The need to charge both vehicles simultaneously has never occurred. Plus a charger for both cars would not only double the needed EVSE equipment costs, but also would require two 50 amp circuits to the opposite side of the house 68 feet away which cost me a couple hundred dollars for the wiring/circuit breaker/outlet. Or alternatively put two EVSEs on the same circuit perhaps if that's possible with a Juicebox, but in my opinion that would be entirely unnecessary cost added for virtually no benefit. We don't drive a ton, and the Nissan LEAF charges very quickly since it's battery isn't very large. We only plug our cars in to charge them when they need it which is typically when they're down to around 50-60% state of charge. It's unnecessary for us to continuously leave our EVs plugged in, and it's actually better on the longevity of the battery to let it deplete down a bit instead of leaving it full all the time. We typically charge up to 80%, unless we have specific plans to go somewhere that we know of then we'll go to 90 or 100% as needed then we use the vehicle as needed probably for a couple of days before it gets low enough to plug it in.

In short what you're suggesting is super overkill for our situation, and I'd rather spend the money on countless other things or save it for our future.

Reactions: Rocky_H
When I got my S last year (a not-CPO 2016) I had an electrician rewire an outdoor outlet that was a nema 5-20 plug (with the correct 12 gauge wire with date stamps from this century; important when living in a 130 year old house with several different generations of wiring) to be a nema 6-20 plug; I've been using that circuit to charge my S for the past year without issue.

If we ever get another EV, even if it is a tesla, I'd hard-wire an LCS-20 or other 20 amp 240v charger in place of the 5-20 and stop using the mobile connector. Where I work (and used to mostly charge) had a standard j1772 charger and it was never an issue using it with the tesla.

I've never missed the higher charge rate or been in an issue where I needed it. I can see if you've only got a smaller battery you might need faster charging, but even with my 90D I've never been worried, plus where I live there are superchargers all over the place.

A slightly bigger circuit/charger will be slightly more efficient, but the cost of putting a bigger charger in my house is very high (My house has 100amp service and the panel is already full and redoing that would be an expensive endeavor).

The Tesla charges on a 14-50 and the Leaf charges on a Clipper Creek. If there were issues, the Leaf could charge on 120 V and the Tesla on the Clipper Creek. This setup has worked fine since 2015 (The Leaf was purchased a couple of years after the Tesla).