Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lol steering response too fast

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Normal and Sport and Comfort setting are not about how fast or slow steering is*. It is only about the torque resistance of the wheel, controlled by electric motor. It is how "hard" it is to rotate the steering wheel.

The speed of the wheel has to do with the gear ratio. And yes, the Model 3 is geared too short. A small movement translate into big turn at the front wheels.

And yes, the Model 3 is geared too short.
I'll respectfully disagree. I absolutely LOVE how quick the steering is on the TM3. It could give a bit more feedback from the road, but I really like the chosen ratio.

It is only about the torque resistance of the wheel,
Is this really the case @holmgang ? In most cars, it's done through varying the power steering pump pressure. It would be interesting if Tesla choose to do this by modulating a wheel motor instead.

Now that I think about it should I get my alignment checked. I wasn’t going that fast and honestly wasn’t that bad. Barely clipped the edge of the rim. Not even any rash on the tires that I could see.

If it pulls in any direction, I would. If not, then no. The OEM wheels are so crappy, they take damage easily, and if that isn't even bad, the likelihood that the suspension/steering took any damage, is highly unlikely.

Reactions: UncertainTimes
The Normal and Sport and Comfort setting are not about how fast or slow steering is*. It is only about the torque resistance of the wheel, controlled by electric motor. It is how "hard" it is to rotate the steering wheel.

The speed of the wheel has to do with the gear ratio. And yes, the Model 3 is geared too short. A small movement translate into big turn at the front wheels.

Yea the steering feels almost unnatural. Doesn’t seem to be speed sensitive either. It’s taking some getting used coming from driving BMWs for so long.

Reactions: TLLMRRJ
Yea the steering feels almost unnatural. Doesn’t seem to be speed sensitive either. It’s taking some getting used coming from driving BMWs for so long.

Yes. I dont like steering wheel trickery but the BMW variable sports steering is really effective.

on both cars i dont like the comfort setting because its wayyy too feathery light. on the tesla its especially bad at highway speed because the ratio of the steering and you can get the car to change direction too easily with fingertip effort.

Reactions: tmartin
The ratio is definitely a little fast, especially when on the racetrack. Making small inputs at high speeds is a bit sketchy.
And with your control arm bushing it becomes so unfiltered that I'm finding myself correcting accidental turns which I do on every bump. It's still fun, but I need now seats with better support so I don't hold myself by the steering wheel.