Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lol steering response too fast

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The actual damage. In retrospect I think i got pretty lucky I didn’t deface the whole wheel. There isn’t even any tire rash.

Attachments

• 78A4CD46-1DF1-49F7-90D3-C00FE81A8A29.jpeg
    78A4CD46-1DF1-49F7-90D3-C00FE81A8A29.jpeg
    627.7 KB · Views: 88
For me, I love the steering rate and got used to it within a short amount of time. Vastly superior to the steering on my previous BMW, with the massive dead on-center zone with no road feel. I like how I don't have to crank the wheel as much to place the car where I want it.

Not sure if there are some sport or variable-rack options from BMW that are better, but standard 2 3 series handling for the last years has honestly sucked. I did try a M235i with a variable rate rack, and it felt a little similar to the Tesla at first - easy to turn more than you expect until you get used to it.

The actual damage. In retrospect I think i got pretty lucky I didn’t deface the whole wheel. There isn’t even any tire rash.

That's not too bad. There are DIY curb rash repair videos, but I'd take it to a professional (if the price is right) and have them do it because of the paint. If it was much lighter in color, you could probably get away with just sanding it.

• Helpful
Reactions: UncertainTimes
Been reading several posts on Tesla Forums that maybe explained how I clipped that curb. The Model 3 feels like a small from the inside due to the short low hood line but it’s actually wider than a last gen BMW 3 series. Also the wheels are pushed out way to the ends of the car making the wheel base longer than you’d expect a car of this size to have. That and the fast steering response makes it easy to curb the right rear wheel is my hypothesis anyway. Just hope I didn’t damage any suspension components.

I've noticed this on several Model 3's I've test driven with various upper control arm setups, not that many exist. I've found that, at the typical recommended ride height for coilovers, the caster is generally around +5.5 degs of caster. I've adjusted caster above +6 degs and found the steering to be a lot less twitchy and much more progressive in terms of corner to corner weight transfer. More testing will come of this once my new FUCA's come in. Thus far I've only been able to play with a couple R&D cars but not worked with a final product. I have collected a good amount of baseline data in terms of alignment sheets from various TC participants. Starting early 2021 we should be able to get some good info locked in with recommended caster vs camber setups. Several owners love the existing steering response while others do not. It's all user preference. It is my strong belief that this can be rectified via caster adjustment for those who don't like it's current setup. Please excuse me if this information is incorrect. It is merely an observation from actual driving experiences. I have not had an opportunity to drive these cars at track speeds nor I have I had a chance to get them on an alignment rack to chart the dynamic camber mid corner with the more positive caster settings. Hopefully I'll be able to get to that in a month after I get some arms installed.

Been reading several posts on Tesla Forums that maybe explained how I clipped that curb. The Model 3 feels like a small from the inside due to the short low hood line but it’s actually wider than a last gen BMW 3 series. Also the wheels are pushed out way to the ends of the car making the wheel base longer than you’d expect a car of this size to have. That and the fast steering response makes it easy to curb the right rear wheel is my hypothesis anyway. Just hope I didn’t damage any suspension components.

Nah, let's be absolutely perfectly honest and call it what it is instead of trying to play the victim card and deflect blame. It's flat out bad driving skills and bad driving technique. It doesn't matter how fast or slow the steering is, your brain is supposed to adjust to it, just like differences in braking, acceleration, and road conditions. A good driver adapts, and bad one doesn't and makes excuses.

My family were notorious wheel curbers, but I have trained them all to pay attention to the rear wheels clearing the corners before turning. It's called square turns. Clipping corners is lazy driving. No more curbed wheels in the family.

• Funny
Reactions: Daniel in SD
Nah, let's be absolutely perfectly honest and call it what it is instead of trying to play the victim card and deflect blame. It's flat out bad driving skills and bad driving technique. It doesn't matter how fast or slow the steering is, your brain is supposed to adjust to it, just like differences in braking, acceleration, and road conditions. A good driver adapts, and bad one doesn't and makes excuses.

My family were notorious wheel curbers, but I have trained them all to pay attention to the rear wheels clearing the corners before turning. It's called square turns. Clipping corners is lazy driving. No more curbed wheels in the family.
LOL

Reactions: TLLMRRJ