Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[lolachampcar] Performance Upgrade Efforts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was interested in getting those lower control arms to remove that floaty feeling in the back of my P85, but I was told that they couldn't install them on my car without changing the subframe as well. In the end, I chose to go for it anyway and to upgrade the other suspension components while we're at it. Here are all the parts that were installed:

Rear subframe
Rear lower control arms
Rear upper link
Rear toe link p+
Rear integral link p+
Rear stabar passive suspension p+
Pilot Super Sport 245/35ZR21 tires

Total out-the-door cost: < $6k

I decided not to upgrade the air spring modules. It would have cost close to $10k (for parts, labor, and tax) and I wasn't sure I wanted the firmer ride anyway. This is my daily driver and I like the comfortable ride of my P85.

For wheels and tires, I chose to go with a square setup with Pilot Super Sports instead of the staggered setup with PS2's. I couldn't justify spending between $6k and $9k (depending on whether I could keep the existing front wheels) for tires that are almost twice as expensive, that you can't rotate and that provide little additional grip (at most 7% based on tire section width calculation).

I’ve only been driving the car for a few days but so far I’m happy with the retrofit. The car definitely handles better in the turns and under heavy acceleration. It feels more planted and goes where you point it without getting squirrely. I did notice an increase in noise though but that could be partly due to the tires being brand new.

Laurent it is really great that you were able to do a partial upgrade. You may be the first! That is the direction I would have gone if I had been able to test drive a car with the partial upgrade. A couple of questions for you:

Did Tesla do the retrofit work?

If not, were there any problems with ordering the parts? I was under the impression that Tesla would not do any subset of their tested configurations. I'm surprised you were able to go with those suspension parts and a square set up for the tires and wheels.

I got an inquiry about lowering a coil spring car and a thought occurred to me. I purchased a new set of 85 coil/damper assemblies to get all the coil and perch related items for my car. I still have a new set of coil dampers which would be perfect for someone wanting to play with ride height whilst keeping their unmodified dampers for back up or resale. Let me know if you are interested in these items as they are sitting around at my hangar and it would be nice to get some of the money I spent on them back out of them :)

That is the most beautiful Tesla I have ever seen.. Any chance of getting to know the colorcode?
No problem. Here's the paint code as shown on the manufacturer's label :tongue:

PaintCode.jpg

Its hard to get a "collectible premium" when 1000 (1200?) of something are made.

I think that's it's more that there really isn't anything that different, much less better, about them. Same thing with Signature Roadsters - in the Roadster market, the latter ones are the most desirable.

Makes you wonder why anyone would sign up for a Signature Model X, except for being the first to get one. Tesla's burned us twice on this.

I think that's it's more that there really isn't anything that different, much less better, about them. Same thing with Signature Roadsters - in the Roadster market, the latter ones are the most desirable.

Makes you wonder why anyone would sign up for a Signature Model X, except for being the first to get one. Tesla's burned us twice on this.

I have a SigX deposit. I did so to get the car early, not for a 'collectible'. However, if there appears to be a 'Sig tax' as appears to be the case with the MS, then I will fall back on a
Production version.

- - - Updated - - -

I got rid of the squishies!

Some of us who drive the early-VIN performance cars know of that "squishy" feeling when you accelerate aggressively through turns. The car feels like it rolls, and is missing a "firmness" in the turn that allows for more positive control in acceleration. Note that I'm not an expert in suspensions by any means, so I'm using the "technical terms". :) I decided I wanted to find something that would get rid of them.

I attempted to do what Laurent did in this post, because it sounded like what I wanted as well. Like Laurent, I wasn't interested in the stiffer ride so I didn't feel the need to replace the air shocks. I worked with the service advisor, who placed the order for the parts for me. Apparently, it sent up a few red flags and a few folks at corporate reached out to the service advisor asking what we were trying to accomplish. Unfortunately, in the end Tesla declined to do a partial upgrade and stated rather decisively that partial upgrades using P+ components on an originally-delivered P car is not supported, and service centers will not (or no longer) do them. EDIT: they will do a FULL P+ retrofit at a cost of ~$20k (added for clarity).

However, after consulting with lolachampcar, I took a slightly different approach. He suggested I just ask them to upgrade the car to the current production specs for P85 cars, with current-rev lower control arms and rear subframe -- that the replacement of just those parts would make the biggest difference in removing the squishies. The service center exchanged a few messages with chassis engineering on my requests, and they concurred that the idea would best accomplish what I want, with one other recommendation - a replacement of the upper links as well, which have been revised since the Sig cars. Chassis engineering signed off on the changes and the parts were installed while I was out of town this week.

EDIT: I should also note that the parts that were installed - sub-frame, LCA, and upper links - are all common between P and P+ models as well.

The car was returned to me today and tonight I took it out for a test. I have to say that I am very, very pleased with the results; the car's ride remains as a sedan should be (so it's not a rock-hard race car) but the squishies are gone under hard acceleration in turns. While turning, the car hangs onto its rear end now.

The price of the change was ~$5k including parts/labor.

A big thanks to both Laurent and lolachampcar for their help during the process.

Last edited:
Absolutely FANTASTIC news. I've been speculating out loud for some time now that a vast majority of the improvement in feel could be had with the proper sub-frame and latest lower control arms (LCAs - same as used on the P+). Passing on the thicker P+ sway bars keeps the car comfortable to drive. I think you just proved the theory!!! Glad to hear it worked out for you.

If you ever do want to firm up the dampening, I saw little difference on the shock dyno between the P and P+ rear dampers so simply swapping out the front damper units would give you the most bang for the buck. They are not cheap but, on the plus side, they are the easiest of the pairs (front versus rear) to swap out and really not that much work. Of course, this assumes Tesla will let you buy them. I suspect they will but they probably can not condone doing the change by doing the installation work. You would probably need an outside shop for that. One of the down sides to having the manufacturer do the service is that liability limits them to only doing "certified configurations". Doing anything else is a passive approval of a non-approved configuration.