Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

London congestion charge exemption renewal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
hi probably a silly question but do you need the V5 scan to prove the vehicle is exempt or does the website look that up?
my vehicle is going to be leased and I won't have the V5

Thanks
Tim

I don’t believe you do now, as long as the car is registered as fuel type ‘electric’ (which it should be).

I’m pretty sure you do. I applied 2 weeks ago and although the car was found in their database, they wanted me to upload the V5 showing it was electric and zero emission.

I’m pretty sure you do. I applied 2 weeks ago and although the car was found in their database, they wanted me to upload the V5 showing it was electric and zero emission.
You’re right! I just checked on my account and got the following...still need to upload an image...bonkers considering it’s all linked back to the DVLA database.

Screenshot 2020-11-09 at 19.08.55.png

My 100% TFL CC discount is due to expire in Nov. I just received an email reminding me to renew.

If I renew now, will it expire exactly a year from now (i.e. Oct 2022) or will it expire a year from when my current discount is due to expire (i.e. Nov 2022)?

My 100% TFL CC discount is due to expire in Nov. I just received an email reminding me to renew.

If I renew now, will it expire exactly a year from now (i.e. Oct 2022) or will it expire a year from when my current discount is due to expire (i.e. Nov 2022)?
Much like MOT, the renewal date is maintained, so you won’t lose a month. (I wondered this, too, as the wording in the renewal is ambiguous! But I’ve now been doing this for a few years and you don’t lose out).

Much like MOT, the renewal date is maintained, so you won’t lose a month. (I wondered this, too, as the wording in the renewal is ambiguous! But I’ve now been doing this for a few years and you don’t lose out).
Cheers! (Just wanted to make sure I squeezed every last bit of value from the £10 admin fee!)

TFL are rubbish....

• AutoPay does not also automatically cover the payment of your electric car discount.
  • The TFL email warning that your discount is expired only comes after the event.
  • You have to re-submit your V5 logbook each year, even if the car has not changed.
  • You have to pay £10 and you may mistakingly like me also have paid the £10 Auto Renew functionality which serves no purpose for electric cars
  • You have to wait up to 10 days for the discount to be validated and applied.

Poor poor poor

TFL are rubbish....

• AutoPay does not also automatically cover the payment of your electric car discount.
  • The TFL email warning that your discount is expired only comes after the event.
  • You have to re-submit your V5 logbook each year, even if the car has not changed.
  • You have to pay £10 and you may mistakingly like me also have paid the £10 Auto Renew functionality which serves no purpose for electric cars
  • You have to wait up to 10 days for the discount to be validated and applied.

Poor poor poor
Completely different to my experience. I’ve been using this discount for the past 4 years via different EVs. Upon renewal, I’ve received an email around a month ahead of expiry inviting me to renew. I log on, renew for £10 (no new documents required) and voila, registered for a further year. To be honest, one of the more straightforward things to do.

Reactions: Doudeau
You’re right! I just checked on my account and got the following...still need to upload an image...bonkers considering it’s all linked back to the DVLA database.

View attachment 606905
Does anyone know how to get a copy of V5C or registered as electric document from the lease companies? My lease company keep saying you can submit the hire document but it doesn’t say ‘electric’ and also has other personal details in it. Any suggestions or anyone done it differently?

Does anyone know how to get a copy of V5C or registered as electric document from the lease companies? My lease company keep saying you can submit the hire document but it doesn’t say ‘electric’ and also has other personal details in it. Any suggestions or anyone done it differently?
Even though TFL ask you to upload a screenshot the V5C registration document, on a lease you won't get the V5C so instead, do the following:
  • Find your vehicle on https://vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk and take a screenshot of the results
  • Create an account at Congestion Charge (Official) and apply for the electric vehicle exemption, uploading the screenshot instead of the V5C
  • Pay £10 (costs £10/yr)
  • Withing 7 days you should receive confirmation that your vehicle is registered and will receive a 100% discount on the congestion charge
This worked for me on my Model 3 lease car back in 2019 so hopefully will work for you.

Reactions: spdpsba
Even though TFL ask you to upload a screenshot the V5C registration document, on a lease you won't get the V5C so instead, do the following:
  • Find your vehicle on https://vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk and take a screenshot of the results
  • Create an account at Congestion Charge (Official) and apply for the electric vehicle exemption, uploading the screenshot instead of the V5C
  • Pay £10 (costs £10/yr)
  • Withing 7 days you should receive confirmation that your vehicle is registered and will receive a 100% discount on the congestion charge
This worked for me on my Model 3 lease car back in 2019 so hopefully will work for you.
Thanks, will try that and update

I’m thinking there will be a lot of folk from last years big Sept delivery of M3s trying to do this just now!
Just received my tfl email reminding me that my ‘cleaner vehicle discount’ is ready for renewal and to go online to do it.
I have been online into my tfl account and it is driving me nuts! There is no obvious renewal’button’. I have been going round the site in circles. The only way I can see to do it, is to do it anew as if didn’t have it before. Surely this can’t be the case. Any tips please?
I have nothing constructive to add sorry but will say the whole concept of a £10 renewal fee sums the whole thing up. Why pay £10 to confirm your car is still electric and you are still exempt? surely the £10- is for admin in the first place and if you every changed cars you could let them know. It's a joke!

I just took a screenshot from the dvla vehicle check website, sent it to them and they accepted that. That was in September 2021
I tried that but the web site is not accepting the format of the screenshot, don’t know what they’ve done differently. I heard some lease companies provide a eV5 - I did not get one, anyone got this eV5, if so can you please confirm?

I tried that but the web site is not accepting the format of the screenshot, don’t know what they’ve done differently. I heard some lease companies provide a eV5 - I did not get one, anyone got this eV5, if so can you please confirm?
When I had a lease i3 the lease company supplied a copy of the eV5 on request. They just emailed it over.

So I have to drive into London today, first time I’ve done so since buying my Model 3 in Sept 2019. Had no idea until this weekend that I had to register with TFL and pay a £10 fee to get the clean vehicle discount. I did it yesterday, the website is, as everyone has commented, atrocious. In every way. I didn’t do Autopay as I should pay nothing. I gather now that it may take 10 days and I’ll need to upload my V5 to validate the discount, which is nonsensical given the DVLA database clearly knows it’s an electric zero emissions vehicle. Again, atrocious.

Wondering what it means for me today. Will I get billed for the congestion charge? Or not? If so, will I be able to get it refunded as I’ve registered and should qualify for the discount.

I usually get the train when heading into London but can’t today as I’m carrying too much stuff and the “anytime return” ticket from Bristol Parkway is now over £250 :eek:

Will I get billed for the congestion charge?

I think onus is on you to pay, so that what you will actually get is fined for the congestion charge :(

There have been threads here where people have argued that the 10 days is ridiculous, and the fine was waived. Dunno if a) that still works and b) its worth the hassle.

Yet another "stitch up the punter" approach to service

So I have to drive into London today, first time I’ve done so since buying my Model 3 in Sept 2019. Had no idea until this weekend that I had to register with TFL and pay a £10 fee to get the clean vehicle discount. I did it yesterday, the website is, as everyone has commented, atrocious. In every way. I didn’t do Autopay as I should pay nothing. I gather now that it may take 10 days and I’ll need to upload my V5 to validate the discount, which is nonsensical given the DVLA database clearly knows it’s an electric zero emissions vehicle. Again, atrocious.

Wondering what it means for me today. Will I get billed for the congestion charge? Or not? If so, will I be able to get it refunded as I’ve registered and should qualify for the discount.

I usually get the train when heading into London but can’t today as I’m carrying too much stuff and the “anytime return” ticket from Bristol Parkway is now over £250 :eek:
If you haven’t had confirmation that the discount has been applied (up to 10 days) then you need to pay the daily charge.

Some people have not paid and received a fine and have successfully argued it, but it’s a risk.

I think onus is on you to pay, so that what you will actually get is fined for the congestion charge :(

There have been threads here where people have argued that the 10 days is ridiculous, and the fine was waived. Dunno if a) that still works and b) its worth the hassle.

Yet another "stitch up the punter" approach to service

If you haven’t had confirmation that the discount has been applied (up to 10 days) then you need to pay the daily charge.

Some people have not paid and received a fine and have successfully argued it, but it’s a risk.

Mmmm...so that's not encouraging. As journeys into London with the car are very rare (today will be the 1st in 2.5 years!) perhaps I should have NOT paid to register the car and simply paid the CC. Right now I am thinking it's going to cost me £25 for this one trip.

Do I need to pay the CC in advance or do they contact me later with a bill?