Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

London driving. Frequent very loud alerts. Lane departure? Avoidance? Driving me crazy.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes I have FSD. Turned traffic signal start/stop off after it saw a phantom traffic light mid motorway once too many. It still occasionally visualises a floating traffic light but thankfully does not act. It’s just a feature set difference - underlying capabilities are identical whether you have basic autopilot, EAP or FSD. Long gone are the days of EAP/FSD using a richer sensor set or processing than basic autopilot - you buy EAP or FSD you get a change in feature configuration not new software.

The amount it visualises is exactly the same as before FSD beta came along - a few extra object types but AP/EAP/FSD get the same if FSD visualisation preview turned on. It is fair to say that what it visualises and what it probably detects (but does not visualise) is probably different so just because something is or isn’t visualised is not a guide to what is going on behind the scenes. What it does or doesn’t visualise is so variable at the best of times that you cannot compare capabilities from one day to another when nothing has changed.

It’s easy to see the difference in autopilot (safety,auto steer and FSD) behaviour vs FSD beta enabled and there is absolutely no crossover in the capabilities of each from FSD beta users who have repeated drives with and without FSD beta turned on. The car when FSD beta is turned off even at basic autopilot level is very different to when FSD beta is enabled - irrespective of whether any of the features are being used. It’s a completely different vision stack as confirmed by numerous reliable sources and Tesla themselves.
At this point, my car is the only proof, and I swear I see more visualisations after the FSD upgrade. I completely agree that what it visualises can change depending on so many factors and that traffic signal start/stop and all features, for that matter, has false positives. I started the comment with the statement "it could be placebo, " but I do not get the collision warnings when I drive around town with tacc or autosteering. Things feel near perfect without disabling all safety features, and the only change I can think off is the FSD upgrade. Let's leave it here.

Reactions: MrBadger
I thought we are talking about driving in London.

The Autopilot does not work well with tight bends, unless you set it to a low speed.
We were and then the loud alerts post popped up and I’m guilty of taking it off track. I don’t use Autopilot on roads around me as it can’t cope and it’s just easier for me to drive.

Autopilot doesn’t appear to work for me when I really want it. Motorway driving.

Yes. It’s me. :)

The problem with alerts/alarms sensitivity is one which tends to vary with software updates I find. I am not a regular city driver but it happens for us folks on narrow country roads too from time to time! It's certainly more likely to react to a nearby pedestrian that it does with sheep on the road ... which it seems to ignore! (Not sure about ducks ...)

Supposedly coming to European countries that drive on the right this summer, with those of us who drive on the left getting it "a few months later".

I'd like to see what it makes of central London. From afar, definitely not whilst sitting in the car.

EDIT: Found the source:

Because Elon has been such a reliable source of timelines in the past..

Reactions: MrBadger
The bings and bongs in the Model 3 annoy me to no end. And its not because they're there, its because its hard to distinguish what they're trying to tell you. For example, when reversing, in just about every other car I've driven the beeps get closer together to let you know how close you're getting to an obstacle. The Model 3 seemingly decides to give you a beep, boop or bong whenever it wants. It's rubbish.

Reactions: Xdama and candida
Do you have FSD? I have traffic signal start-stop which you don't get with EAP. Plus, more than traffic signals the visualisation does show more number of cars in all directions compared to EAP. I am aware of single-stack and all the other bits you have mentioned.
You’re right, FSD adds to EAP: stop on green; stop on red; and start on green.

I’ve not noticed a difference in visualisation elements between our FSD M3 & EAP MY. I’ll have a look next time I swap between them.

The bings and bongs in the Model 3 annoy me to no end. And its not because they're there, its because its hard to distinguish what they're trying to tell you. For example, when reversing, in just about every other car I've driven the beeps get closer together to let you know how close you're getting to an obstacle. The Model 3 seemingly decides to give you a beep, boop or bong whenever it wants. It's rubbish.
Don’t the beeps and bongs relate to the proximity of obstacles in any portion of the detector ‘fields’ to help manoeuvring? Different from the raising pitch or frequency for ‘it’s behind you. It’s closer. It’s really close. Arrrgh’ on some vehicles.

Teslas have a distance countdown on screen for reversing proximity.