Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

London driving. Frequent very loud alerts. Lane departure? Avoidance? Driving me crazy.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm a careful driver. Driving in London means driving down two lane streets with cars parked either side turning the whole thing into a one lane street which you have to navigate. There are busses that you have to indicate and move around. Basically everything is very tight. Each time I've gotten an alert it's been when i'm doing something that I know to be safe.

I think I can turn lane departure warning off but only for that journey. What about proximity? Cyclists get very very close and there's not a lot you can do about it. I'll be talking casually with a friend and suddenly this siren will go off which will - ironically - panic me and make the situation somewhat more dangerous than it was.

I have Joe mode turned on so god knows what it would be like if I didn't.

Has anyone else found this to be the case?

Reactions: pipp
It could be placebo, but I upgraded to fsd from eap last month and started seeing fewer and fewer of these warnings in town with tacc and sometimes with auto-steering. In month 1, it was driving me nuts, and I had to disable everything and not use tacc.

Streets like the OP describes, mine does that too. Not tacc, just driving along. Parking speeds, everything modern does the stupid bonging now but it cuts out at higher speed. I think we should be allowed to … you know, drive? It is indeed infuriating.

I turned off all the warnings/aids that I could and Joe mode. Where I live the roads are windy and it kept going off as It thought I was going to hit oncoming vehicles - something about steering being corrected although I couldn’t sense anything happening.

It’s less intrusive now but still aggravating.

Oh thank god. I was worried I was going to be told my driving sucked!

It's so awful and embarrassing if someone else is in the car. It's the equivalent of the car suddenly yelling at you "what the hell do you think you're doing?"

It'd be one thing if it slowed down or stopped. But the beeps are so loud.

Reactions: candida
It could be placebo, but I upgraded to fsd from eap last month and started seeing fewer and fewer of these warnings in town with tacc and sometimes with auto-steering. In month 1, it was driving me nuts, and I had to disable everything and not use tacc.
In London there's no subscription model to even try it out and even if there were I don't think it's ready here yet.
(FSD)

In London there's no subscription model to even try it out, and even if there were, I don't think it's ready here yet.
(FSD)
Depends on the definition of ready. The hardware is already there, and the level of visualisation goes up with fsd. Our regulators are sleeping and talking 2025 etc., to allow the beta. Let's see if they change their minds now that SC is opened up. Fsd 10.12 is looking very promising in handling more scenarios. It can never get perfect unless a large number of people participate in the beta program. Other automakers such as Mercedes just have a handful of cars testing things, an approach unlikely to work in the real world.

Reactions: James Veitch
You get a collision warning when you are on a trajectory that would cause a collision within a short time when continuing.

Depending on your driving style this can happen often in dense traffic. It is a signal that you could ponder improving your style. Avoid accelerating towards other cars, closing in rapidly, or having a short distance to the car in front. These are good ideas anyway, for any car.

The hardware is already there, and the level of visualisation goes up with fsd.

No it doesn't. FSD is currently exactly the same software as basic autopilot, just with a different set of enabled features.

FSD City Streets beta is completely different, but even then, currently, (ie pre FSD beta 10.12), highways driving is exactly the same as our highways irrespective of where it is used, ie against Tesla use case. This is all due to change at some point with 'single stack', but until that happens, at least with HW3, there is FSD City Streets beta and there is everything else (HW3 wise) - Autopilot, EAP, FSD. No difference other than what features are enabled and whether you have radar or not which currently in UK, we all still do as far as I am aware. And since safety features are handled at the basic autopilot level, there will be no difference in the likes of collision detection/avoidance etc.

How far single stack is off is anyones guess. Its been a couple of weeks away since iirc around last October. The how long before this makes its way out of the City Streets beta group is simply unknown. Even more unknown is how long before City Streets makes it to the UK.

Last edited:
Reactions: Roy B
Tell me you've never driven in London without telling me you've never driven in London.

You get a collision warning when you are on a trajectory that would cause a collision within a short time when continuing.

Depending on your driving style this can happen often in dense traffic. It is a signal that you could ponder improving your style. Avoid accelerating towards other cars, closing in rapidly, or having a short distance to the car in front. These are good ideas anyway, for any car.

Even more unknown is how long before City Streets makes it to the UK.
Supposedly coming to European countries that drive on the right this summer, with those of us who drive on the left getting it "a few months later".

I'd like to see what it makes of central London. From afar, definitely not whilst sitting in the car.

EDIT: Found the source:

Supposedly coming to European countries that drive on the right this summer, with those of us who drive on the left getting it "a few months later".

I'd like to see what it makes of central London. From afar, definitely not whilst sitting in the car.

EDIT: Found the source:

I would probably be more nervous to be in Rome or Paris when they roll it out...

Reactions: Roy B

I drive on two way country roads with tight bends. It doesn’t matter what speed I’m doing the alerts still go off - I’ve tried many times. I’ve even experimented with steering slightly earlier, applying pressure to the wheel.

It ignores that I’ll be following the bend in the road to the left or right, and assumes I’m going to head straight on into a car and then a field for a picnic.

Reactions: candida
No it doesn't. FSD is currently exactly the same software as basic autopilot, just with a different set of enabled features.

FSD City Streets beta is completely different, but even then, currently, (ie pre FSD beta 10.12), highways driving is exactly the same as our highways irrespective of where it is used, ie against Tesla use case. This is all due to change at some point with 'single stack', but until that happens, at least with HW3, there is FSD City Streets beta and there is everything else (HW3 wise) - Autopilot, EAP, FSD. No difference other than what features are enabled and whether you have radar or not which currently in UK, we all still do as far as I am aware. And since safety features are handled at the basic autopilot level, there will be no difference in the likes of collision detection/avoidance etc.

How far single stack is off is anyones guess. Its been a couple of weeks away since iirc around last October. The how long before this makes its way out of the City Streets beta group is simply unknown. Even more unknown is how long before City Streets makes it to the UK.
Do you have FSD? I have traffic signal start-stop which you don't get with EAP. Plus, more than traffic signals the visualisation does show more number of cars in all directions compared to EAP. I am aware of single-stack and all the other bits you have mentioned.

Yes I have FSD. Turned traffic signal start/stop off after it saw a phantom traffic light mid motorway once too many. It still occasionally visualises a floating traffic light but thankfully does not act. It’s just a feature set difference - underlying capabilities are identical whether you have basic autopilot, EAP or FSD. Long gone are the days of EAP/FSD using a richer sensor set or processing than basic autopilot - you buy EAP or FSD you get a change in feature configuration not new software.

The amount it visualises is exactly the same as before FSD beta came along - a few extra object types but AP/EAP/FSD get the same if FSD visualisation preview turned on. It is fair to say that what it visualises and what it probably detects (but does not visualise) is probably different so just because something is or isn’t visualised is not a guide to what is going on behind the scenes. What it does or doesn’t visualise is so variable at the best of times that you cannot compare capabilities from one day to another when nothing has changed.

It’s easy to see the difference in autopilot (safety,auto steer and FSD) behaviour vs FSD beta enabled and there is absolutely no crossover in the capabilities of each from FSD beta users who have repeated drives with and without FSD beta turned on. The car when FSD beta is turned off even at basic autopilot level is very different to when FSD beta is enabled - irrespective of whether any of the features are being used. It’s a completely different vision stack as confirmed by numerous reliable sources and Tesla themselves.

I'm a careful driver. Driving in London means driving down two lane streets with cars parked either side turning the whole thing into a one lane street which you have to navigate. There are busses that you have to indicate and move around. Basically everything is very tight. Each time I've gotten an alert it's been when i'm doing something that I know to be safe.

I think I can turn lane departure warning off but only for that journey. What about proximity? Cyclists get very very close and there's not a lot you can do about it. I'll be talking casually with a friend and suddenly this siren will go off which will - ironically - panic me and make the situation somewhat more dangerous than it was.

I have Joe mode turned on so god knows what it would be like if I didn't.

Has anyone else found this to be the case?
Add more ducks.

• Funny
Reactions: Algy and Toblerone