Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

London Ontario Tire Change recommendation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did a search of the forums, and can only find discussions about Toronto options... I've always changed my tires out at costco... but they don't have the equipment to swap tires for a Model 3. I've gotten the impression that the tesla service centres don't do tire swaps either (or do they? I have both summer and winter tires from them).

Is there anywhere in London that will do/has experience doing tire swaps for Model 3? Don't really want to be the guinea pig by going to any store.

Thanks for any advice!

Ok, I have seen the name thrown around a lot, and considered calling them. There are a few model 3's around town, but I don't want to be their "practice" car if they've never done it before (in London). Apologies as I think the whole process is pretty basic, but I don't know much about cars, so it seems like rocket science to me. When I got the winter tires put on by the tire change guys, they just used what looked like a regular jack to get the car up and change the tires. I've read something about people buying/bringing some fancy "puck"... do I need to do this?

Ok, I have seen the name thrown around a lot, and considered calling them. There are a few model 3's around town, but I don't want to be their "practice" car if they've never done it before (in London). Apologies as I think the whole process is pretty basic, but I don't know much about cars, so it seems like rocket science to me. When I got the winter tires put on by the tire change guys, they just used what looked like a regular jack to get the car up and change the tires. I've read something about people buying/bringing some fancy "puck"... do I need to do this?
Actually, people talk about regular hockey pucks. There are some people who've made adapters which fit into the holes in the lift points. Somewhere on this board there's instructions on how to put some particular bolt into a regular hockey put for DIY adapters.

Did a search of the forums, and can only find discussions about Toronto options... I've always changed my tires out at costco... but they don't have the equipment to swap tires for a Model 3. I've gotten the impression that the tesla service centres don't do tire swaps either (or do they? I have both summer and winter tires from them).

Is there anywhere in London that will do/has experience doing tire swaps for Model 3? Don't really want to be the guinea pig by going to any store.

Thanks for any advice!

Kal Tire Downton (Piccadilly Street) in London have experience working on the Model 3, and I fully recommend them.

• Helpful
Reactions: Dante
The fancy puck thing isn't fancy at all. Just a hockey puck which you put on top of the jack and line up with the jack point on the car. Sure you could put the locating bolt with rubber gasket through it, but totally not necessary.

Now, if you aren't technical/the car seems like rocket science to you take it somewhere that has done it before. Grab a couple pucks from crappy tire and bring them with you as a backup. Any tire place that has jacked a car up before should know what to do with them if they understand they got between the jack and the car's jack points.

To be honest, this whole tire change thing with the 3 is blown way out of proportion. It's not rocket surgery :)

Reactions: corlaandstan
Late to this thread but since winter is coming thought it might be useful to add another option to the list.
Acura West has been good with my tire change overs each year. My wife has an MDX and I've been going there with Model S for 4 years (when there were very little other Tesla's in London). I've "educated" them of proper jack joints on the Tesla.

Can't speak of their experience with model 3.

In all honesty, it's not a difficult job, but using the right equipment with place with a place with a good rep is piece of mind.

Honestly, there is nothing special about getting new tires. I went to my local Canadian Tire and asked if they had worked on any model 3's. They immediately told me that they had a modified set of hockey pucks ready and had done a number of cars already. Installation, alignment etc. was all done as normal.

Late to this thread but since winter is coming thought it might be useful to add another option to the list.
Acura West has been good with my tire change overs each year. My wife has an MDX and I've been going there with Model S for 4 years (when there were very little other Tesla's in London). I've "educated" them of proper jack joints on the Tesla.

In all honesty, it's not a difficult job, but using the right equipment with place with a place with a good rep is piece of mind.

A little off topic, but I have a summer place in Grand Bend and was wondering if you are away if any chargers near there ?
Thanks

I don't have a lot of experience using the chargers in Grand Bend. Looks like there are a couple L2 chargers at Green Dot and the Heritage Museum.

Depending on where you're coming from the Chademo L3 (50kw) charger at Masonville mall in London might be helpful - but it comes at a cost (I believe $20/hour).