Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

London TfL Congestion Charge / AutoPay

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You need to register it and upload your V5. It will then become exempt from the CC as well as the ULEZ charge. It can take up to 10 days for them to register it. Ours took over a week to appear as exempt from both charges on the TfL account.

Last edited:
You need to register it and upload your V5. It will then become exempt from the CC as well as the ULEZ charge. It can take up to 10 days for them to register it. Ours took over a week to appear as exempt from both charges on the TfL account.
Thanks Burley very helpful. Mind you that does make exemption unnecessarily complicated.

I recently acquired a Model 3. I already have a TFL account having had a Renault Zoe. I logged on today to add the Tesla. the car is correctly identified but shown as liable to the congestion charge. This cannot be right; has anyone had the same experience?
I think it may just be the wording on the very badly designed site.

I was told my car was eligible for the congestion charge, but with a 100% discount. Very confusing

Congestion Charge Zone applies to all vehicles at certain times. There is a cleaner vehicle discount of 100% available for an annual registration fee.

ULEZ operates 24/7, is enforced depending on the declared emissions of the vehicle. The ULEZ is being extended in October.

The TfL website has a summary box on each page... :rolleyes:

My guess is the reason for the registration is related to consent and data retention. The fee is enforced using ANPR, by registering you are consenting for them to keep your registration on file for the year in order to stop fine generation. Doing a DVLA request on every car to see how it's fueled is not realistic. Retaining data indefinitely, particularly if you sold the vehicle is probably also going to create some compliance issues. Easy solution is to have a registration system, and charge us for operating it.

Reactions: Neilio and btc1k
My guess is the reason for the registration is related to consent and data retention. The fee is enforced using ANPR, by registering you are consenting for them to keep your registration on file for the year in order to stop fine generation. Doing a DVLA request on every car to see how it's fueled is not realistic. Retaining data indefinitely, particularly if you sold the vehicle is probably also going to create some compliance issues. Easy solution is to have a registration system, and charge us for operating it.
my understanding is you register because it was a badly-ported disabled vehicle registration system rather than a built-for-purpose coded thing. This is upheld by the fact the ULEZ does use DVLA lookup as it's purpose built not adapted

Moderator comment - similar post merged

I have registered my M3 with TFL and applied for the electric vehicle discount. The feedback is that I qualify for the ULEZ discount but not the CG. This seems incorrect. Anyone else had to overcome similar issues, if so, how is it done?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have registered my M3 with TFL and applied for the electric vehicle discount. The feedback is that I qualify for the ULEZ discount but not the CG. This seems incorrect. Anyone else had to overcome similar issues, if so, how is it done?
Probably one of the numpty admin people there. I had to submit my i3 three times before they accepted it, claiming the documents were incorrect.

Just resend the request and hope someone with at least half a brain reviews it.

Though, make sure you’re applying for the correct thing. Should be the Cleaner Vehicle Discount.

Moderator comment - similar post merged

What does it say exactly? The wording previously is that an EV is liable for CC, but then gets a 100% discount.

this is to set the scene for when EVs no longer get the discount in 2025

I applied without a copy of the V5 as my car is leased and I guessed (correctly, as it happened) that getting a copy of the V5 from the lease company wouldn't be easy.
I sent a screenshot of the DVLA vehicle checker page that clearly showed my reg number and that the car is 100% electric. Thought it was worth chancing my arm rather than waiting months for the V5 copy. This was accepted and I had an email about 8 days after application confirming that CC is 100% discounted.
I then had an email from the lease company two weeks after my first one to them asking why I needed a V5. It was lining up to be a long backwards-and-forwards conversation!
The TfL website still isn't recognising my car as being exempt from ULEZ, but this is probably because of the frequency they update their database. Should I go into the ULEZ before it is on their database and I get a fine, I can't see it being difficult to challenge.

What does it say exactly? The wording previously is that an EV is liable for CC, but then gets a 100% discount.

this is to set the scene for when EVs no longer get the discount in 2025
You pay £10 a year to register for a 100% discount.
Worth it. You quickly save it back with free parking in Westminster.

I applied without a copy of the V5 as my car is leased and I guessed (correctly, as it happened) that getting a copy of the V5 from the lease company wouldn't be easy.
I sent a screenshot of the DVLA vehicle checker page that clearly showed my reg number and that the car is 100% electric. Thought it was worth chancing my arm rather than waiting months for the V5 copy. This was accepted and I had an email about 8 days after application confirming that CC is 100% discounted.
I then had an email from the lease company two weeks after my first one to them asking why I needed a V5. It was lining up to be a long backwards-and-forwards conversation!
The TfL website still isn't recognising my car as being exempt from ULEZ, but this is probably because of the frequency they update their database. Should I go into the ULEZ before it is on their database and I get a fine, I can't see it being difficult to challenge.
You shouldn't have any problems getting a photocopy of the V5 - just explain what you need it for. You're won't be the first person who has asked for it and you won't be the last.

You shouldn't have any problems getting a photocopy of the V5 - just explain what you need it for. You're won't be the first person who has asked for it and you won't be the last.
Fully agree with you. The lease company were reluctant, but as TfL accepted the DVSA confirmation I didn't need to go into battle on that one. Just another way to get the CC exemption if anyone is in a similar position.

Reactions: m3p_uk