Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

London to Galway - mad?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m due to drive to Galway 10 days after picking up our Model Y. I’ve driven the route before and loved the road trip, but it was in my ICE car, and I’ve never owned an EV before. I think it’ll be a great drive in a new car like the Y, but without having any EV experience is the journey a bit much?

The U.K. leg of the journey seems fine, outbound Fishguard - Rosslare, and inbound Dublin - Liverpool. What is the charging network like across Ireland, and closer to Galway? Zap Map shows a fair few chargers but would be great to hear some real world experience of getting across Ireland and how reliable the network is.

We’re spreading the journey up over a few days so plenty of time to make charging stops, however just wondering what the range anxiety will be like when we hit central Ireland where it’s a bit far from any major city.

Am I mad or being a boring idiot?

Here is the ABRP route.

But it tends to be reserved and probably overly cautious. You obviously don't have to take their exact routes if you prefer to get off the main roads and do something a bit more scenic. You'd probably be driving slower on those roads which would reduce consumption and increase range, but you'll also be driving further because the roads are much windier.

I'd use this kind of route planning as "suggested" route. You can put the final destination in the car and it will plan the whole trip with appropriate charging stops along the way. But that will be a direct route. If you're wanting to take a scenic route you'll likely want to just route to the next supercharger (or other charging station) and then drive your own path, keeping an eye on the available range as it certainly will want to keep rerouting (maybe mute the navigation).

Telling it to route to/through superchargers will cause the car to "precondition" the battery for rapid charging which is a pretty big benefit. It could save you upwards of 10 minutes at charging stops.

When you receive the car I recommend putting Galway in the navigation software and see what it shows as the route. That'll give you some confidence and a good estimation of time. I also recommend playing with all that software and getting used to it in your familiar surroundings before trying to fiddle with it underway. Use it to navigate to the grocery store, work/office, or a friend's house, so that you can compare how it routes and prompts versus how you normally would drive those familiar routes. I think most people who get frustrated with new gizmos like this are trying to learn it while using it in an unfamiliar environment.

1644105786439.png

Reactions: DM206433 and Bunes
the big takeaway is 1-2 stops each way all the way from London to Galway is pretty crazy good and should be a huge boost to confidence

While we might be thinking wow thats across three countries! The Americans are thinking thats just a trip to the shops on a sunday afternoon. Helps to have smallish countries I guess :)

Cheers everyone, given me much more confidence in planning the trip. ABRP is brilliant, great to be able to roughly plan stops using SOC needed on arrival. Is ESB the only network worth having an account for there?

the big takeaway is 1-2 stops each way all the way from London to Galway is pretty crazy good and should be a huge boost to confidence

While we might be thinking wow thats across three countries! The Americans are thinking thats just a trip to the shops on a sunday afternoon. Helps to have smallish countries I guess :)

I think a lot of Americans can't comprehend physically smaller countries, but I hope many of us actually equate it to our states. This would be a drive to a neighboring state for me. In fact, my two most recent road trips involved 2 or 3 supercharger stops each direction. Once down to Dallas with two SC stops and overnight charging at a hotel, then two SC stops on the way home. The other out to Nashville with three stops each way and overnight charging at the hotel.

Another observation, which can be quite pertinent to this EV future, I think our speed limits tend to be higher. So that means high consumption at interstate highway speeds, and more stops for longer periods. I've found that I like to get off the interstate and drive state highways for a lot of reasons, and with the Tesla I've added energy consumption to that list.

Reactions: Mrklaw