Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

London to Manchester without stopping? [SR+]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi

I’m looking to travel from London to Manchester which is exactly 200 miles.

I will be leaving Thursday night maybe 7pm. I don’t have a heavy foot and will be looking at driving 70mph.

If I charge to 100% could I get there without stopping?

I can catch the motorway in ) mins and have a standard model 3.

many tops like use cruise control or autopilot?

Sorry I can’t quite help but I imagine it’ll be tight. I frequently do the trip and have made it with a bit to spare each time but I have the model 3 performance. Have arrived with between 9% and 17% battery. Was charged to 100% and precondition cabin each time

Oh and as for tips, don’t use cruise control: it’s too jerky and phantom breaking will slam your range. A human can anticipate hills, so speed up on the way down into a valley so you don’t use as much energy climbing out the other side

• Helpful
Reactions: Durzel
ive done wokingham to near manchester airport [a329m,m4,a404,m40, m42, toll road,m6] in my sr+ in one go. i did a lot of close drafting behind trucks and it was a tad squeeky. my destination had a 22kwh charger so wasnt worried about not being able to refil. that said. prefer being able to drive heavy foot and you have loads of options for a 5 to 10min supercharge top up so ive not bothered to do it again.

Guess it kinda depends on whether you need some charge when you reach your destination.

Personally I'd plan a quick stop for a break and top it up while getting a coffee and 'relief' (somewhere like Rugby or Oxford Superchargers, depending in your route) - no point in risking when the stop is so quick.

ABRP maybe a good start...
I live not too far from Manchester just off the M6 and it’s a similar distance to London.

We normally travel quite a bit to London for football matches often coming back the same day, although I’ve not done any trips since I got the M3 due to the pandemic, I planned various routes out before I got the car.

I should have a bit more range than a SR+ but I’m still planning on a stop 2/3 of the way down for a brew and a quick charge and another on the way back. In ICE cars, we’d normally stop on the way down so we’d probably just extend that slightly. It’s a bit easier to plan charging en route using Superchargers rather than at many destinations. The NW isn’t blessed with an abundance of decent public chargers, so unless you have guaranteed charging at your destination, charging en route may be better.

Hi

I’m looking to travel from London to Manchester which is exactly 200 miles.

I will be leaving Thursday night maybe 7pm. I don’t have a heavy foot and will be looking at driving 70mph.

If I charge to 100% could I get there without stopping?

I can catch the motorway in ) mins and have a standard model 3.

many tops like use cruise control or autopilot?
I just see this as adding unnecessary stress to your life! Plan for a stop is my recommendation. Whether it’s technically possible is irrelevant … it’s not a good plan in an SR+.

I did a trip from Southampton to Preston last month, some 245 miles.
ABRP insisted I stop at Hilton Park, didn't particularly want to.
Since I've always called in to Warwick services on the M40 and Keele services on the M6 on previous trips in a Volvo V70 I simply did the same in my M3LR and supercharged while I went for a coffee. Travel speed was the usual 69.9mph :)
Only extra stop was at Charnock Richard where I got an extra supercharge top up from 50% up to 90% because my destination didn't have any charging available.

Coming back southbound was different in missing Charnock Richard (there's no superchargers on the southbound services) I left at 78%
Called in at Keele Services for coffee and supercharge.
Called in at Warwick Services - southbound chargers are some distance from the services and it was raining so stayed with the car for that charge then drove closer to the services for a coffee.
got to Southampton with 47% remaining, no anxiety.

You need at least one personal break on a journey like that. Charging the car while you recharge gives you and the car a safe boost for the rest of the journey.

Reactions: ringi and OUTATIME1
I doubt it to be fair but to be in with any chance at all, you need to specify locations a little more. If you live anywhere north of manchester and you’re going to Croydon then not snowflake in hell‘s chance I’m afraid. If you’re going from a Stockport to Chingford then maybe but you’ll be lucky and you’ll definitely need all the luck at every stage.

also, you need to get from where you arrive in Mmchester to a charger when you leave (unless destination has a 100% guaranteed charger like on your friend”s drive) so you’d only do this as a bet or if you’re a little challenged on the foresight front. A little blunt I know but thats what my mind is currently pondering. I regularly do Bury to North London in a SR+ or our 75D Model S. They have similar ranges. I can’t answer your question because despite having done it about 20 times, I’ve never put myself in the position of arriving with about 2 miles to spare and my bladder and coffee cup are both Rugby or Grantham-sized.

May I be so bold as to ask why you want to do it non-stop?

Reactions: GreenT
Thanks for all the replies.

to save a bit of battery can I stop the car conditioning the battery when I add a postcode to the satnav I find it uses a lot of battery
You want the car to know where you are going so that the energy graph becomes meaningful. You can then follow your progress seeing if you are beating the prediction as the journey progresses.

Guess it kinda depends on whether you need some charge when you reach your destination.

Personally I'd plan a quick stop for a break and top it up while getting a coffee and 'relief' (somewhere like Rugby or Oxford Superchargers, depending in your route) - no point in risking when the stop is so quick.

ABRP maybe a good start...
from london to manchester makes more sense to pick a SC north of birmingham to arrive at a lower SoC and thus top up faster. also to set that as the destination to preheat for even faster top up. ive managed that route in the SR+ with a near 5min pee brake top up. but it will bweather dependant. tried the same on way back, stong headwind and rain meant it was impossible.

to save a bit of battery can I stop the car conditioning the battery when I add a postcode to the satnav I find it uses a lot of battery
As I understand it, the car will try to precondition the battery for rapid charging if you set your destination to a rapid changer on the car and Tesla knows it to be a rapid changer. To prevent en route battery preconditioning, I set the navigation to navigate without changing stops so it doesn't route me via superchargers.

Reactions: oneonorder
Its warm at the moment so if it isn’t raining you should make it. I think I did slightly more than that with the cruise at 73mph (but including M4 50mph variable speed limit). But I’d plan on a stop - honestly if you can stop eg the rugby services for 10 minutes will do you. Any time I’ve stopped even just for a pee or grab a coffee from starbucks its been more than enough time to top up to finish the journey (and remove any doubt and let you drive how you like)

if you’re doing it for an experiement use the energy graph to see how you’re doing vs the estimated use and have a couple of options available if you need to stop.

Reactions: Adopado
naa, no chance. I've never hit anywhere near 200 miles at 70mph (unless you're planning on the keep driving past 0% trick). 60 maybe, but the dropoff of range at 70 is quite high. I had a 180 mile journey last year that I attempted on a single charge, set off 100% at 70mph and about 50 miles in the car told me to drop to 65 which I did. Some sections had road works at 50 mph but I ended up stopping at a super charger with 5 miles to go as I was down to 3%. I had passengers on that trip which will have made a bit of a difference, but since then I've always done the drive a bit faster and stop at a charger with as low a % as possible method. You charge faster than you can drive so it's generally quicker than trying to slow down and make it in one go. Also regarding pre charging, on a long trip you probably don't need to pre charge much as the battery should already be warm, and again the increase in charge speed probably outweighs any power usage heating. So just let it do it's thing (unless you're trying to save the 20p in power).

Reactions: Adopado