Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

London to Orkney, and most of the NC500, in a Tesla Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yep, been before. We're sleeping in the car so no destination chargers
Ah, now I see why the locals argue that the NC500 barely brings tourist income to outlying highland areas... EVs charging for free half the time and then not even paying for a B&B ... take your own sandwiches too and complete the job!

(Some folk throw their wrappers out the window and use a lay-by for a toilet ... so they do leave something!)

Apologies I'm back on my anti NC500 theme again! (No I don't live on the NC500 route.)

@Mr H If your schedule allows, I can highly recommend the A939 between Ballater and Inverness, also known as the Lecht Road. Fantastic views and you climb really high, nice cafes in Tomintoul as well as a distillery.

1653928029177.png

If you're heading North via Perth then over Glenshee you can swing by Balmoral (ignoring the Queen) then up to Inverness via Tomintoul.

The other (quicker) option is the A9 which is quite frankly soul destroying with average speed cameras along the entire route with different speeds for HGVs, few overtaking opportunities and loads of roadworks as they continue to turn the road into 4 lanes.

I know you drive a lot so you've probably already considered all of this, I just love the A939 and find it a marvellous route if you're not pressed for time.

@Mr H If your schedule allows, I can highly recommend the A939 between Ballater and Inverness, also known as the Lecht Road. Fantastic views and you climb really high, nice cafes in Tomintoul as well as a distillery.

View attachment 810583

If you're heading North via Perth then over Glenshee you can swing by Balmoral (ignoring the Queen) then up to Inverness via Tomintoul.

The other (quicker) option is the A9 which is quite frankly soul destroying with average speed cameras along the entire route with different speeds for HGVs, few overtaking opportunities and loads of roadworks as they continue to turn the road into 4 lanes.

I know you drive a lot so you've probably already considered all of this, I just love the A939 and find it a marvellous route if you're not pressed for time.
Many thanks for that and as luck has it, we already have that in our plans,
Inverness > The Lecht > Tomintoul > Crathie > Glenshee

Mainly because my wife has never been over the fourth bridge so we want to head over that way on the way back.

Reactions: Medved_77
Many thanks for that and as luck has it, we already have that in our plans,
Inverness > The Lecht > Tomintoul > Crathie > Glenshee

Mainly because my wife has never been over the fourth bridge so we want to head over that way on the way back.
Awesome, drove over Glenshee yesterday.

Being a little pedantic now but please make sure you don't drive over the Forth bridge as that's for buses and licensed taxis only. You'll want the Queensferry crossing.

Reactions: Adopado and Mr H
Awesome, drove over Glenshee yesterday.

Being a little pedantic now but please make sure you don't drive over the Forth bridge as that's for buses and licensed taxis only. You'll want the Queensferry crossing.
I delivered lots of materials for the new bridge but have only been over it once since opening, i was going to see if i could get the MY over the rail bridge 🤪. I also realise i should have written 'Forth' Doh

please make sure you don't drive over the Forth bridge as that's for buses and licensed taxis only. You'll want the Queensferry crossing.

I was taken up that way as a youngster, saw the rail bridge and the Forth Bridge under construction ... we crossed via the Queensferry Passage (if I've got the right name for it) ...

... I next went to Edinburgh half a dozen years ago. Rail Bridge still looking strong, but the Forth Bridge falling to bits ... and the Queensferry Crossing replacement opening ...

Pitiful how short sighted our infrastructure spending is these days.

Nice route, is there a ferry to Orkneys? My family drove a Skoda (big hunk of a car) rental from London to Turiff and jaunts to Banff and Rosehearty. Lovely country. Next trip will rent a Tesla I hope. Cheers and drive safely.

I did the NC500 about a year ago. Did go a bit off route also though not too much as time was limited. Absolutely lovely and looking forward to when I can do it again.

Was in a Discovery though, not sure I'm brave or patient enough to try it in a Tesla. Just be worried of broken chargers, all in use or stuck charging somewhere on a 3 pin as an emergency for 40 hours :)

Reactions: tevman