Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

London Victoria Docks Supercharger permanently CLOSED?????!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know why the supercharger in E16 (Canning Town-London) has been permanently closed??
Would this be a Tesla decision or the “Crystal” decision??

This was relatively close to me but it has suddenly closed on the 2nd of December 2020 2002 despite there being literally queues of 4+ cars building up waiting to charge (while 2 cars already charging) in the evening as only 2 chargers and many new owners in the area.

The other ones are just impractical as it’s the O2 where you have a 30 mins limit as it’s in the hotel (traffic of the tunnel kill me now), Canary Wharf but you need to pay for parking or spend £10 in Waitrose (overpriced) or travel to Dartford and pay the charge too of £4!!!
All of these options are 35-40+ mins each way (when there’s no traffic!) and I NEED supercharging as I CANNOT have a home charger and there’s no other reliable charging around :(:(:mad:
I was relying on that site!!
I cannot be the only one needing a charger there as there’s nothing in the Newham, Redbridge, Barking and Dagenham area???

also...
I wanted to know, is there a way to request to Tesla a general area/location for super chargers?
I’ve seen a place to suggest chargers, but it seemed it was more like a form for business owners that HAVE a space to get these fitted type of thing rather than you requesting/suggesting an area you’re unrelated to.

(the area I have in mind would be a high traffic - meant as number of drivers passing through- area and there’s lots of new owners round here! - it’s in London/Essex)

thanks in advance for any tips!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Electric Jim
That's disappointing, I use that one occasionally too due to convenience of location.

My guess is that it's a result of this -
Sadiq Khan confirms London’s City Hall to move to Royal Docks

Can't just be a coincidence.
Interesting!

well, this may be perfect.
I’m battling my management company since Feb to install a home charger in my block of flats. The costs including all legal stuff they want me to sign (apparently they want me to modify our lease) will be in the several thousands and I was thinking of informing the Mayor as afterall both, the development where I live AND the electric car movement AND the closing of the supercharger neared to me (speculation in this last one..) were all due to the Mayor!!! :D:D:D:D:D:D

• Funny
Reactions: suauk123
How does PlugShare work? I’ve seen a house not too far with a pod point charger, but I wouldn’t even know how to approach them? :oops:
This may sound a bit cheeky but.... you could always either go knock on the door or write them letter explaining your predicament and asking for use of their charger?
You could negotiate options for compensation?

It’s all a bit silly, really. You shouldn’t be going through all this madness to charge an EV in the middle of one of the largest cities in the world...

Other option is just to bite the bullet and use the slow rapid charger at 25kW. That just might have been a “bad battery day” and might speed up as the days get warmer.... :/

I live local and it does seem odd that the o2 only has 30 mins parking but 12 SuC. as far as I can work out they never get used.

Thankfully the o2 is not too bad otherwise for me, also canary wharf and st catherines dock are reasonably close for me.

Edit: there are rumours that you can leave the o2 after 28 mins and re-enter for a second free 30 mins. not ideal if you want to go for a coffee but it can be done.

Last edited:
Does anyone know why the supercharger in E16 (Canning Town-London) has been permanently closed??
Would this be a Tesla decision or the “Crystal” decision??

This was relatively close to me but it has suddenly closed on the 2nd of December 2002 despite there being literally queues of 4+ cars building up waiting to charge (while 2 cars already charging) in the evening as only 2 chargers and many new owners in the area.

The other ones are just impractical as it’s the O2 where you have a 30 mins limit as it’s in the hotel (traffic of the tunnel kill me now), Canary Wharf but you need to pay for parking or spend £10 in Waitrose (overpriced) or travel to Dartford and pay the charge too of £4!!!
Did you mean 2020?

You’ve made a bold move. I wouldn’t even consider owning an EV if I couldn’t plug in at home but fair play to you hope you find a decent solution
Haha I know!

But to be honest my situation changed shortly after getting the car..
Although I didn’t have the car charger I had a plan to install one at work, but we moved locations and that’s not possible anymore :confused:
And then the supercharger closed (I didn’t know they close them! I know it’s silly, but I really didn’t know!)
And we were planning to move to a house from a flat but 2020 happened and we won’t be doing that for a long good while.... :rolleyes:

So yeah... :D:D

So in the meantime I’m just battling my management company and obtaining quotes for a charger install there. I have another post where it has been done so cross fingers it works!

I live local and it does seem odd that the o2 only has 30 mins parking but 12 SuC. as far as I can work out they never get used.

Thankfully the o2 is not too bad otherwise for me, also canary wharf and st catherines dock are reasonably close for me.

Edit: there are rumours that you can leave the o2 after 28 mins and re-enter for a second free 30 mins. not ideal if you want to go for a coffee but it can be done.

Thanks!
Yes the chargers are in the hotel, not the O2 itself..
But I was thinking of trying the leaving and re entering bit .

I’ve been there a couple of times there and they do get used, but only a few bays. I’ve never seen it not even halfway full!
I did go during lockdown so didn’t want to go in the hotel as they seemed closed.. so I’ll pop in at the next visit and see if they can give more info..

now that I’m thinking Canarywharf is ALWAYS FULL or it gets filled up while charging, despite the parking charge.

annoyingly That is now the closest supercharger to me... let’s see if I can work out the Tesco thing as that may just be it for now :rolleyes:

Reactions: Electric Jim
Well Tesco would be already much better...
But I think that’s a different car park? The carpark where the chargers are only mention Waitrose as giving you free parking? this would be great!

It's the same car park. Just have to go to Tesco which is in the same complex. Took me a while to find out that Tesco is part of it but it does state it in the Canary Wharf website. I used it last week

On a brighter note, on the weekend, all the food outlets will validate it too and for 3 hours instead of 2!

now that I’m thinking Canarywharf is ALWAYS FULL or it gets filled up while charging, despite the parking charge.

annoyingly That is now the closest supercharger to me... let’s see if I can work out the Tesco thing as that may just be it for now :rolleyes:

Interesting, I have only ever seen 1 other car at Canary Wharf when I have charged. To be fair I have only used it about 5 times in 3 months.