Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lone pine SC to Hawthorne, NV SC Guidance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have to go through Hawthorne to Reno instead of the 395 through Mammoth. Looks like it will use up at least 80% of the battery as per abetterrouteplanner. A lot of elevation that route.
If I watch the energy panel I feel like I should be fine. But I’m less than a week into Model 3 driving.
Has someone who has taken this route have some solid pointers? Or is this just a case of new driver range anxiety?
thanks in advance!

Not sure what's keeping you from going 395 North of Mammoth. But if you need to go via Hawthorne why not go to Mammoth, charge first and then above Mono lake take 167/359 to Hawthorne. You can then charge at Hawthorne and make it easily Reno.
Thanks for the reply. Currently requires chains to go through mammoth up to at least mono lake. That is the normal route I take.

Thanks for the reply. Currently requires chains to go through mammoth up to at least mono lake. That is the normal route I take.
OK. I assume you have a 2WD car then.

The trouble is that this part of CA and NV is totally without chargers. There are a few RV parks in Bishop that have 14-50's that you either have to pay the night fee ($40) or 25 cents per kW. And of course painfully slow. It probably would be faster to go to Mammoth (I think the chain restrictions usually start north of the exit), charge and then go back to Bishop, then go up 6. Hwy 6 after Benton is pretty steep and it's a steady uphill from Bishop too so you would really have to monitor your usage. After you get to the pass it's fairly flat and a bit downhill into Hawthorne. While Tonopah is a bit closer than Hawthorne at the intersection of 6/95 its probably not that much different.

With winter driving snow, winds and temperature can all play havoc on range. While it would be no big deal to do that route in the summer with 80% draw, not having a backup plan for charging in the winter would be iffy IMHO.

You could also consider the Baker to Beatty route. Longer but less likely to have snow restrictions.

Benton Crossing Road just south of SR203 to Mammoth cuts off the driving down to Bishop and back up US6. Not sure of the snow situation, but I am sure that Mono County Roads will have an idea. Beautiful drive any time of year. The eastern terminus of this road dumps you onto SR120 just west of Benton and where CalTrans closes SR120 each winter. Then, north on US6.

OK. I assume you have a 2WD car then.

The trouble is that this part of CA and NV is totally without chargers. There are a few RV parks in Bishop that have 14-50's that you either have to pay the night fee ($40) or 25 cents per kW. And of course painfully slow. It probably would be faster to go to Mammoth (I think the chain restrictions usually start north of the exit), charge and then go back to Bishop, then go up 6. Hwy 6 after Benton is pretty steep and it's a steady uphill from Bishop too so you would really have to monitor your usage. After you get to the pass it's fairly flat and a bit downhill into Hawthorne. While Tonopah is a bit closer than Hawthorne at the intersection of 6/95 its probably not that much different.

With winter driving snow, winds and temperature can all play havoc on range. While it would be no big deal to do that route in the summer with 80% draw, not having a backup plan for charging in the winter would be iffy IMHO.

You could also consider the Baker to Beatty route. Longer but less likely to have snow restrictions.
I have the long range awd performance-19.
I’ll try that trip when I get some more experience. I thanks for the information-good stuff!