Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Long 14-50 charging cord?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am going to visit my daughter in CA and would like to charge off her NEMA 14-50 electrical dryer outlet. That would mean an extension cord about 60 ft. I envision a cable like the diesel pusher land yachts use when the grandparents come to visit ha ha.

I am going to visit my daughter in CA and would like to charge off her NEMA 14-50 electrical dryer outlet. That would mean an extension cord about 60 ft. I envision a cable like the diesel pusher land yachts use when the grandparents come to visit ha ha.

A dryer is a 10-30 or 14-30 not a 14-50. Be sure you know the correct outlet first. That is a very long run and cable sizing will depend on the outlet. Do you really need to charge there? Can you do 120V for a an extended time then go to a SC?

Indeed the dryer outlet is the NEMA 10-30. My plan is to get a NEMA 14-50 adapter, and a NEMA 14-50 50' RV cable, then somehow find an adapter to 14-30 or 10-30. Then I realized this is a BAD IDEA because the Tesla adapter is going to set a charging limit far above the capacity of the 30 amp wall outlet! So I think the (likely) 10-30 extension and adapter is gonna be it. However.....
Can you do 120V for a an extended time then go to a SC?
I see your idea, interesting. I could get 60-ish miles while there then hit the SC on the way out of town. I think that's an OK plan. After all, it takes 25% more time to get anywhere "distant" by Tesla compared to ICE.

I'll write back when I decide. Thank you for the info.

Indeed the dryer outlet is the NEMA 10-30. My plan is to get a NEMA 14-50 adapter, and a NEMA 14-50 50' RV cable, then somehow find an adapter to 14-30 or 10-30. Then I realized this is a BAD IDEA because the Tesla adapter is going to set a charging limit far above the capacity of the 30 amp wall outlet! So I think the (likely) 10-30 extension and adapter is gonna be it. However.....

I see your idea, interesting. I could get 60-ish miles while there then hit the SC on the way out of town. I think that's an OK plan. After all, it takes 25% more time to get anywhere "distant" by Tesla compared to ICE.

I'll write back when I decide. Thank you for the info.
I picked up one of these and it works quite well with the Mobile Connector or the 40amp capable 14-50 charger

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002XL2IG8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Reactions: Bob Denny
Check out this site EVSE Adapters – Electric vehicle charging solutions, adapter cords for EV, RV, welders, and more. Charge anywhere.

I carry a 14-30/50 30 foot extension cord I got from them (just looked cannot find it now), but it was shipped with no neutral pin on the plug, meaning it could connect to either a 14-30 or 14-50. 6 gauge. I also carry a Camco 25 foot 50 amp RV extension cord I bought from Amazon, 14-50 on both ends. Includes a 6 gauge neutral, so it is bit of a hoss to carry around.

When I visit my daughter, I plug the no neutral plug in to her dryer outlet, then the extension cord, and finally the version 1 UMC. I have to dial down the amps to 22 or so before I pop her breaker, The v1 UMC would cook up to 40 amps if I let it.

I considered doing the same thing; running an extension cord from a dryer outlet when at my dad’s place. Problem was it was more complicated than I originally thought.

What I did was plan to arrive with a decent charge (60-70%) and kept the car plugged to an available 5-15 when at the house. We didn’t do much driving so this worked well.

I think I'm going to just hit a nearby SC at the end of the trip and hit it again on the way out of town. Will cost me an extra 30-40 min coming in and going out, on a 6 hour drive. Also for the future, @DCGOO I think that's the way I'll equip myself ... This looks like the 14-30/50 universal (tricky!). EVSE is an AWESOME place, thanks for the link! I wish I had the time to set myself up. And I get that you have to soft-limit charging current to avoid overloading the lower-rated circuit.

Last edited: