Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Long delay replacing Model 3 Windscreen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Next chapter of my Windscreen saga today:

Tesla estimated the car would be ready today at 1:15pm and surprisingly I got an email at 12:20pm asking me to complete the invoice acceptance and to arrange final payment of £813.30 (glass + 2 wiper blades + VAT) and, just to add a bit of thrilling blackmail into the mix, they had set their own PIN2drive code and would only reveal it on confirmation of payment.

I used my Santander credit card already lodged with Tesla for accessories and supercharging to pay the service bill and had to go to the Santander banking App to approve the big debit. Then I sent a text to Tesla telling them it was paid and a reply text from Tesla followed giving me the code.

A friend gave me a lift to Winchester and it was a simple case of getting in the car, putting the new PIN to drive then drive back home.
At home I found I couldn't put my own PIN back in until I googled for help. Turns out you do a 'lost PIN' from the PIN pad screen, enter your Tesla account credentials and the PIN is cleared for you to add your own again. I wonder if PIN reset would have worked if I hadn't paid?

It was a really simple pleasure to drive back home with a crystal clear windscreen and the rain i encountered was wiped away streak-free.
I used autopilot for some of the journey and found it was erring a little right of road centre but needed no "learning" time to use. :)

I'm not sure I can take the hassle of attempting reimbursement from Churchill. Phoning them is painful for me as I have to go through UK Relay, as I'm deaf, and they often have timing problems relaying the phone menu options to me (after the over-long holding time) before the menu system times out and drops the line on you. My last attempt to contact Autoglass dropped the line before I could select a menu option. :(
The Tesla SC pin should clear itself. I was at an SC just yesterday and once I left the SC their pin was removed from the car. I then had to set my own pin again once I got home. No need to use the “forgotten PIN” function.

The Tesla SC pin should clear itself. I was at an SC just yesterday and once I left the SC their pin was removed from the car. I then had to set my own pin again once I got home. No need to use the “forgotten PIN” function.

That wasn't my experience.
Having put the new PIN in before driving back to Southampton (30 minutes) I tried turning off the PIN, which needs the new PIN entering to do so.
It only took the new PIN and trying to turn the PIN on or off required the new PIN only.
I spent another 30 minutes searching for ways to "change your PIN" and went back into the car to change it.
It still wanted the new PIN only so I "forgot PIN" and got the "enter new code" when enabling my own PIN to drive again.

I had set PIN to drive and turned it off before taking it to Tesla

When you take it to them do you have to give them your keycard? Will be my first service centre visit.

A while back Winchester did expect to use one of your keycards and had a pigeonhole locker which they gave you a code to unlock to put your card in.
Now they remind you that it isn't needed any more but they (might) ask you to remove your PIN to drive if you've set one.
You can always text the service centre to ask but note that if you are not already in contact with them they may ignore your texts.

I my case, yesterday, I had a local flatbed driver take my car to Winchester Service for me - he needed a keycard to drive the car on and off his flatbed and I told him to leave it in the cup holder when he'd finished. I alerted Winchester that the keycard should be in the cupholder but they wouldn't have had any need to use it.

Reactions: ItsBlacknWhite
That wasn't my experience.
Having put the new PIN in before driving back to Southampton (30 minutes) I tried turning off the PIN, which needs the new PIN entering to do so.
It only took the new PIN and trying to turn the PIN on or off required the new PIN only.
I spent another 30 minutes searching for ways to "change your PIN" and went back into the car to change it.
It still wanted the new PIN only so I "forgot PIN" and got the "enter new code" when enabling my own PIN to drive again.

I had set PIN to drive and turned it off before taking it to Tesla
I guess the system doesn’t always work! The idea is it’s geofenced and clears once you leave the SC. 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: ItsBlacknWhite
The SCs don't need you to remove your own pin nowadays.

I very much get the impression they ask customer to do a few things in advance because it makes the job easier for them and/or a bit of courtesy.

Certainly mobile asked if I could do a few things prior to them starting work, quickly followed with a, ~doesn't matter if you can't, just makes their life easier if we don't have to fire up the remote diagnostics.

I very much get the impression they ask customer to do a few things in advance because it makes the job easier for them and/or a bit of courtesy.

Certainly mobile asked if I could do a few things prior to them starting work, quickly followed with a, ~doesn't matter if you can't, just makes their life easier if we don't have to fire up the remote diagnostics.
It may be different for home pickup but definitely no pin issue at SCs. In fact I went into the SC with my card in my hand and they told me to go away saying "it's touchless dropoff and pickup ... no we don't need your card"!

I've got a stone chip in my windscreen from earlier this week , been told today it can't be repaired and needs replacing, this will be fun then from reading this thread

Things were dire with no screens (easily) available up to the beginning of May when glass supplies started 'trickling in'. Whist there may still be a backlog of replacements to do, Tesla themselves can be good for just a few days notice depending on the service centre you choose. If you are going via insurance, and in particular Autoglass, then yes you might have unknown delays there.

Tesla Winchester fitted the glass overnight for £814 (including new wiper blades I asked for) and it cost me £50 to get a local flatbed guy to take my car from Southampton to Winchester. I had to scrounge a lift next day to retrieve my car.

I did ask about a Tesla loaner but they had none available until mid June and, as a non-warranty issue, would cost me £70 per day.

You might be lucky :)

I passed another step in my windscreen saga today.
Considering closing the claim I went to Churchill's website and used their webchat box to "talk to the team".
The guy was ready to push me to phone their claim team until I mentioned I was deaf - so no phone!
He took my email details and said the claim team will "talk" to me that way.
At that point I got another text from Autoglass "We're doing absolutely everything to find your glass" - almost rubbing salt into the wound already!
I then got an email from Churchill asking for my bank details and for a copy of the receipt.
Replied with my bank details and a copy of Tesla's service invoice.
I might end up not quite so poor after all - I wait with baited breath :)

I'm booked at Tesla Nottingham tomorrow (re-arranged due to emergency surgery for appendicitis!), and today got a text from Autglass saying "as your glass will be with us soon, please follow [LINK] to arrange your appointment".
I'm not contacting AG until Tesla have completed the job tomorrow, just in case anything goes Pete Tong!

Rang my local autoglass manager yesterday for an update on the passenger window. He told me it was due today & would call me once he’d checked it over. Lo and behold this morning he called to say window is here & ok, when could I come in. I said anytime today or next time I’m home 8-9th June. He juggled some jobs and I’m currently sat in the waiting room while it gets fitted, 2hrs after the call. Leeds autoglass have been pretty damn good imo and I’d recommend trying to get your local managers direct number as he seemed to be much more proactive than the call centre.

Reactions: MrT3
I'm booked at Tesla Nottingham tomorrow (re-arranged due to emergency surgery for appendicitis!), and today got a text from Autglass saying "as your glass will be with us soon, please follow [LINK] to arrange your appointment".
I'm not contacting AG until Tesla have completed the job tomorrow, just in case anything goes Pete Tong!
Had a windscreen replacement done at Nottingham a few days ago, they did a good job! This is my fourth windscreen in less than 3 years. The first had a scratch on it from new, number two wasn’t fitted correctly as it was discovered the cause of wind noise at the top edge, it couldn’t be re-aligned, had to be replaced. Number 3 was a stone chip which developed into two cracks.
I was recommended new wipers as the original ones may have had glass particles embedded, I’m so glad I did as the new Bosch ones supplied are very impressive - not a sound, and the washers are much better than the originals too.

Had a windscreen replacement done at Nottingham a few days ago, they did a good job! This is my fourth windscreen in less than 3 years. The first had a scratch on it from new, number two wasn’t fitted correctly as it was discovered the cause of wind noise at the top edge, it couldn’t be re-aligned, had to be replaced. Number 3 was a stone chip which developed into two cracks.
I was recommended new wipers as the original ones may have had glass particles embedded, I’m so glad I did as the new Bosch ones supplied are very impressive - not a sound, and the washers are much better than the originals too.
So you are the reason there is a glass shortage,

Had my roof glass replaced at Tesla Nottingham SC last Tues. All looking good now, although the rubber seals don't look quite as neat as on the original....
Only gripe is the fact I've found several shards of glass in the interior since - some in the footwells, couple in the cupholder & door bins - which suggsts they weren't paying full attention to protection of the interior, or clean up after.

Word of caution for anyone else having the work done - although the estimate indicates approx 90min of work time, the adhesive (certainly for the roof glass) apparently needs several hours to cure. Car was in for 9.45am but wasn't ready to collect until after 4pm, so if you book an afternoon appt you may not get the car back the same day. Drove home in driving rain, no leaks/drips noted, and nothing in the foul weather since.

Invoice forwarded to Churchill for reimbursement, just waiting on them now....

Also - had the O-ring replacement for the boot strut, made no difference (as others have noted)!

Had my roof glass replaced at Tesla Nottingham SC last Tues. All looking good now, although the rubber seals don't look quite as neat as on the original....
Only gripe is the fact I've found several shards of glass in the interior since - some in the footwells, couple in the cupholder & door bins - which suggsts they weren't paying full attention to protection of the interior, or clean up after.

Word of caution for anyone else having the work done - although the estimate indicates approx 90min of work time, the adhesive (certainly for the roof glass) apparently needs several hours to cure. Car was in for 9.45am but wasn't ready to collect until after 4pm, so if you book an afternoon appt you may not get the car back the same day. Drove home in driving rain, no leaks/drips noted, and nothing in the foul weather since.

Invoice forwarded to Churchill for reimbursement, just waiting on them now....

Also - had the O-ring replacement for the boot strut, made no difference (as others have noted)!
My experience was similar. I asked if it was "while you wait" but Tesla Winchester said the glass needed to bond overnight. I found a few glass fragments as well. Total bill including wiper blades was £813.30 forwarded to Churchill and eventually they've promised to reimburse all but my excess of £75. Only took 4.5 months between the birdstrike and getting the screen replaced with no thanks at all to AutoGlass!

Had my windscreen replaced at the Winchester SC, my wallet £760 lighter. Just waited on hold with Admiral for half an hour only for them to pick the phone up and then hang up on me. Wonderful service.

When I can eventually get through to them I don't expect them to pay for the damage, but I have to try, right!?