Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Long delay replacing Model 3 Windscreen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Great! I have a 12" crack in the roof glass as of Weds. Spoke to Autoglass, via Churchill, and they just said they would be in touch once Churchill authorise the replacement (thus allowing them to order the glass) to let me know a likely timeframe.
No idea how it happened - no sign of impact on roof at all, and car is garaged overnight. I did hear a stone hit the car on Tues, but didn't spot any signs of impact anywhere.
You can't really see the crack from outside, but can feel it in the glass. From inside it's really obvious, right above the drivers eyeline!
Insideglass.jpg
Outsideglass.jpg

Has anyone been able to get their windscreen replaced through Autoglass yet?

I just joined the windscreen club on Monday 11th April 🙃. Windscreen crack (now roughly 7") has been growing due to being out in the sun, I'm guessing the windscreen expands in the heat, causing the crack to get worse 🤦🏻

No ETA from Autoglass, just been told to wait.

I just joined the windscreen club on Monday 11th April 🙃. Windscreen crack (now roughly 7") has been growing due to being out in the sun, I'm guessing the windscreen expands in the heat, causing the crack to get worse 🤦🏻

Ask your insurance if you can get it done at Tesla and be reimbursed.

Ask your insurance if you can get it done at Tesla and be reimbursed.
I believe you can get Tesla to replace but you will only get £200 max discount from Churchill so need to pay the difference (£600+?)
When (if) Autoglass replace your screen it will just cost the £75 excess (plus £40 if you let Autoglass fit new wipers as well)
But I don't think Tesla have any glass either right now :(

Nope. Been waiting since January and getting a text message pretty much every week saying no Tesla glass available.
What a bonkers state of affairs…

Reactions: Rooster6655
I believe you can get Tesla to replace but you will only get £200 max discount from Churchill so need to pay the difference (£600+?)
When (if) Autoglass replace your screen it will just cost the £75 excess (plus £40 if you let Autoglass fit new wipers as well)
Other people have done it through Tesla and get their money back. Otherwise get Auto-glass to pick one up from a Tesla that has them in stock. People are managing to find them at some Teslas now after waiting ages.
E4BC6EC1-B991-4F18-A77A-6F7450B7CD47.png

Tesla have glass - at least they have roof glass! My roof cracked last week, Autoglass said they'd have to order it, then rang again yesterday to say there is a shortage and couldn't tell when they could get some.
In the meantime I had raised it via the Tesla app, booked for 19th April. Had message from tesla asking if I could switch appt to 28th April as, although they have the roof glass, that was the first day their fitting agent could do the glass.
Told Autoglass about Tesla's availability & the agent is pushing it up the company to investigate why Tesla are able to supply & fit within a few weeks but they cannot.

Having waited over 6 weeks I took my M3LR to Autoglass last Thursday. After an hour they phoned to advise they could not fit the windscreen due to it being an updated socket…

Transpires that Autoglass do not have ANY of the new heated windscreens in stock and I would suggest that anyone that is waiting for an Autoglass update contact them to check this.

I’ve managed to get my insurance to pay the cost to go directly to Tesla. It appears this is the only option for any of the newer model 3 with the heated windscreens…

Very glad for it to be finally getting sorted - after almost 2 months!

I took my M3LR to Autoglass last Thursday. After an hour they phoned to advise they could not fit the windscreen due to

I had this twice with Autoglass some years back.

Booked in, dropped car off, arranged a lift to work ... got a call an hour later to say "You can collect the car, we've got the wrong glass".

The first time could have been a rare mistake ...

The second time ... not so much. Definitely would have expected someone to have carefully double-checked before telling me to drop the car off

It went from bad to worse after that, in their attempt to provide some recompense.

Reactions: dboyo
Having waited over 6 weeks I took my M3LR to Autoglass last Thursday. After an hour they phoned to advise they could not fit the windscreen due to it being an updated socket…

Transpires that Autoglass do not have ANY of the new heated windscreens in stock and I would suggest that anyone that is waiting for an Autoglass update contact them to check this.

I’ve managed to get my insurance to pay the cost to go directly to Tesla. It appears this is the only option for any of the newer model 3 with the heated windscreens…

Very glad for it to be finally getting sorted - after almost 2 months!
It’s not got a heated windscreen. I assume it’s the socket for the heated wipers?

If after a month its not sorted then I would most definitely look at the options to get the insurer to agree to using Tesla as it seems Autoglass replacement for Teslas through the insurance isn't currently fit for the purpose

Reactions: dboyo
I had my M3P windscreen replaced in the last few days by a Tesla SC and the cost was £760.60 incld VAT. I first started the process beginning of April 22 with Autoglass but to be honest the communication (or lack of) from them was shocking and in any event, its clear they couldn't get hold of the glass. A few days later I also booked the Tesla SC appointment to replace the windscreen. It was meant as a fall back option as I need the car for work but if I'm honest, it was also my preferred option as you have to take it to them anyway (apparently) for re-calibration and I personally have always had very good experiences with Tesla SC's.

In between, I also spoke with the nice people at LV who said that they were aware of the delays and that it would be acceptable to get it done at Tesla and send them the invoice although they may charge an additional £200 excess as Tesla are not on their list for replacement windscreens. I have just received notification that they won't charge the additional excess in this instance (just the standard one) so all's well that ends well and a big thumbs up to LV.

I had my M3P windscreen replaced in the last few days by a Tesla SC and the cost was £760.60 incld VAT. I first started the process beginning of April 22 with Autoglass but to be honest the communication (or lack of) from them was shocking and in any event, its clear they couldn't get hold of the glass. A few days later I also booked the Tesla SC appointment to replace the windscreen. It was meant as a fall back option as I need the car for work but if I'm honest, it was also my preferred option as you have to take it to them anyway (apparently) for re-calibration and I personally have always had very good experiences with Tesla SC's.

In between, I also spoke with the nice people at LV who said that they were aware of the delays and that it would be acceptable to get it done at Tesla and send them the invoice although they may charge an additional £200 excess as Tesla are not on their list for replacement windscreens. I have just received notification that they won't charge the additional excess in this instance (just the standard one) so all's well that ends well and a big thumbs up to LV.
I called LV today, put me through to the claims dept. They said I had to try all 3 of their glass providers, only been to Autoglass. If no luck to call LV back then they would contact all 3 providers to check situation themselves ( ?? ) and then they would look at alternative options. Did they make you do this? Also have they said if this will impact your policy at renewal? Shame I can’t reference your account when I call them back to save time. Tesla have quoted £803.59 for end of May appointment (M3LR oct 21 reg)