Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Long delay replacing Model 3 Windscreen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Fingers crossed for you but chances are you’ll get a call like I did in March saying they don’t have it in stock.
They turned up on Wednesday and here we go… brought the wrong windscreen! Decided it needs to be done at one of their depots anyway because camera calibration required after fitting. No report back yet regarding stock, said will communicate within 2 working days. Hope the crack doesn’t get over to the driver’s side - it’s heading that way unfortunately. ☹️.

Thankfully rear door windows are available. Only a 4 day wait, joys of overstaying your welcome in Liverpool I guess🤦‍♂️
Latest update from Autoglass after rear window replaced is the front window is being sourced from Belgium, as it’s quicker than getting it from Tesla. Apparently it would be mid July for a Tesla sourced one but hopefully within the next couple of weeks for the Belgian source.
The autoglass manager did say they were having a nightmare atm with Ford & Porsche (plus some others), VW & Audi are apparently easy to source for. So it’s not just Tesla which are proving difficult.

I tried chasing Churchill today to see if they'd raise their £200 max screen replacement reimbursement if not using Autoglass but they wouldn't budge from that. I couldn't get hold of Autoglass but I don't suppose they have any glass either or even a short dated fitment possibility.
I think a 4-month wait is long enough to say "soddit with Autoglass" even if it's going to cost a lot.

So, I booked a screen replacement from Tesla Winchester for 2pm this coming Tuesday afternoon and they said they'd order the glass.
I asked if a loan car might be available since they need to keep the car overnight "for bonding" but they've no loan car available until mid-June and will cost £75/day. Tesla have since confirmed the appointment and glass will be available.

All I have to do now is arrange flatbed transport to Winchester on Tuesday and a minicab to retrieve it on Wednesday.

They turned up on Wednesday and here we go… brought the wrong windscreen!

You are lucky in the sense that they came to you. They had me take the car to them ... twice ... I arranged a lift, got to work, and then got a call to say "You can come and collect the car, we've got the wrong glass. You would have thought that the second time someone would have checked the part-no before confirming the booking. Third time I told them they could collect the car when they were good and ready, and take it to Tesla for calibration, for all the mucking about they had caused. Whilst they did do that they made a complete hash of that too.

Decided it needs to be done at one of their depots anyway because camera calibration required after fitting

They have never actually been able to do the calibration in my experience. When I pushed on why car had to go to them they said "Don't like to do expensive cars outside" - i.e. in case it rains or whatever. I said I had a large barn they could do it in ... not interested.

I tried chasing Churchill today ... but they wouldn't budge from that

Is the car undrivable? I think that would make a case for them providing you with a loan vehicle (given that the delay is their preferred supplier's problems)

You are lucky in the sense that they came to you. They had me take the car to them ... twice ... I arranged a lift, got to work, and then got a call to say "You can come and collect the car, we've got the wrong glass. You would have thought that the second time someone would have checked the part-no before confirming the booking. Third time I told them they could collect the car when they were good and ready, and take it to Tesla for calibration, for all the mucking about they had caused. Whilst they did do that they made a complete hash of that too.

They have never actually been able to do the calibration in my experience. When I pushed on why car had to go to them they said "Don't like to do expensive cars outside" - i.e. in case it rains or whatever. I said I had a large barn they could do it in ... not interested.

Is the car undrivable? I think that would make a case for them providing you with a loan vehicle (given that the delay is their preferred supplier's problems)
My car is fully functional but the windscreen on the driver's side is significantly crazed from a bird strike. This makes it very difficult to see the road directly in front without leaning over to the passenger side to see better. Legally I think it's undriveable. The breakage also prevents me driving in rain as the wiper blades will disintegrate and in low sun or nighttime with glare in the cracks!

I've done a few very short local shopping trips hoping that no passing plod takes an interest but I'm sure my luck will run out on that.

I reached a point where I just want it fixed to get my life back.

This makes it very difficult to see the road

I'd be having a go at insurer saying car is undrivable, their preferred supplier is useless so either a) get the windscreen fixed at Tesla or b) provide you with loan/hire vehicle

Tesla does have the glass, so Autoglass's excuse of "none available" is not a reason for forcing you to have to use them. Others have been successful with this approach (maybe not your insurance company though ... in which case I would name-and-shame so others can avoid them in future)

.... I think that would make a case for them providing you with a loan vehicle (given that the delay is their preferred supplier's problems)
I spoke to Churchill last week (again!) re: my cracked roof glass - same issues as with screens, Tesla have them, no-one else does - and their attitude now appears to be "It's not our fault, or Autoglass' fault, it's Tesla's fault for not ensuring supplies. We don't have to make additional efforts here."
Basically, a "go pay for it yourself, or wait for Autoglass & stop bothering us" response.

Tellingly, Churchill & Directline now have a dedicated small team handling all glass queries that are bouncing out of Autoglass inability to get stock, which supports the comment above about supply issues from Ford & others too.

Sorry peeps, I started this thread then disappeared :) I don't get notifications and just 'got on with life'

My update is.... I still have a crack across the passenger side. I have contacted Autoglass a couple of times since posting and it's been as useful as a chcolate teapot. They have promised to get back to me on Tuesday, but I am not holding my breath.

Looking through this thread, I guess that this issue will be going on for some time *sigh*. I am fortunate, in that the crack does not hinder my vision and it hasn't got bigger since it initially happened. So i can continue driving without a problem

Awesome start to this week (better than last week where I was tushed into surgery for appendicitis!) - Churchill rang me & confirmed they are covering the full cost of roof glass replacement at Tesla, minus the usual £75 glass excess. I pay Tesla, send Churchill the paid invoice, and they will reimburse.
I'm just waiting for them to send me that confirmation via email and I can proceed with my appointment next week at the SC.

Awesome start to this week (better than last week where I was tushed into surgery for appendicitis!) - Churchill rang me & confirmed they are covering the full cost of roof glass replacement at Tesla, minus the usual £75 glass excess. I pay Tesla, send Churchill the paid invoice, and they will reimburse.
I'm just waiting for them to send me that confirmation via email and I can proceed with my appointment next week at the SC.
Good work! Hoping I can convince Admiral to do the same for me - don't hold out much hope though. Last thing Admiral said to me was that Autoglass would pick the part up from Tesla for me so they could fit the glass themselves, completely backwards. Just let Tesla fix it and pay them instead!?

I got this week's Autoglass text message this afternoon ... "We are doing absolutely everything to source glass for you. this is a global issue. We apologise for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience." which rings a bit hollow when Tesla will be replacing my windscreen tomorrow afternoon.

So Autoglass are doing "everything" ... to fail to get available windscreen glass!

When I retrieve my car on Wednesday I'll try to contact Churchill to cancel the claim or see if they'll pay any more than £125 towards Tesla's estimate of £814 (glass + wiper blades + VAT) - Churchill were adamant that they wouldn't budge last Friday.

I got this week's Autoglass text message this afternoon ... "We are doing absolutely everything to source glass for you. this is a global issue. We apologise for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience." which rings a bit hollow when Tesla will be replacing my windscreen tomorrow afternoon.

So Autoglass are doing "everything" ... to fail to get available windscreen glass!

When I retrieve my car on Wednesday I'll try to contact Churchill to cancel the claim or see if they'll pay any more than £125 towards Tesla's estimate of £814 (glass + wiper blades + VAT) - Churchill were adamant that they wouldn't budge last Friday.
Has anyone tried asking if Tesla will sell windscreens to Autoglass? Or if you can order them from parts ?

These are the emails I sent Churchill, referencing the several calls I also made. You can always try contacing them again & see what they say. We know that other owners have also successfully had Churchill pay out on normal excess terms. Bear in mind that mine is the roof glass, & its replacement cost is nearly £1200! I delayed replacement pending the response from Churchill, and am now booked for next week.

Sent: 20 May 2022
To: '[email protected]'
Cc: [email protected]
Subject: FOLLOW UP - FW: Estimate as requested
Importance: High

Dear Sir/Madam,

Policy no:

Vehicle Registraion:

Per the emails below, and telephone conversations indicated therein, I have not yet received any response from you regarding this matter. I know from delivery & read receipts that the previous email was received & read on 10th May 09.46. It was addressed solely to the Directline email per the instructions from your agent (Neil) during our telephone conversation.

I would appreciate a response, either by email or phone, within the next 3 working days as to your position on this claim, as Autoglass still do not have a timeframe for glass availability.

Thank you.

Regards,

Sent: 10 May 2022
To: '[email protected]'
Subject: FW: Estimate as requested

Dear Sir/Madam,

Per our conversation at 09.33 today, please see below for the email sent last Tuesday (which was returned as “Undelivered – connection timed out” on 8th May).

The estimate is attached.

Sent: 03 May 2022
To: 'churchill'
Subject: Estimate as requested

Dear Sir/Madam,

Policy no:

Vehicle Registraion:

Further to my telephone conversation this afternoon (approx. 14.35) with your claims adviser, please find attached the estimate for the glass replacement from Tesla.

As discussed via telephone, Autoglass have advised after 1 month (reported 7th April) that they have no stock of glass, and no idea when they will receive stock. Tesla have confirmed that they have the glass and can fit it next week.

Given that your chosen supplier (Autoglass) are unable to provide the service, I would expect that you will honour the normal excess terms for glass replacement as I have no option but to go with another supplier in this instance, or continue to drive for an unknown period with damaged glass which is progressively worsening. I am aware from the Tesla owners groups that Churchill have honoured these terms for other drivers in my situation.

I look forward to hearing from you at your earliest convenience.

Regards,

Reactions: Irata
First part of my screen replacement task is now in place - a local trailer firm has flatbedded my car to Tesla Winchester and Tesla have texted me that they've got the car and my Tesla App has switched to "Service Mode".

I was initially expecting to be with the car but the trailer guy couldn't bring me back home after dropping off so he just took the car to Winchester and I stayed home.

Next part is waiting for Tesla to tell me to come and collect it and pay of course.

I just got off the phone with Autogalss for the 2nd time this week. Yesterday, I was told that they have raised an internal complaint regarding their lack of communication with me. I was told yesterday that I should expect a call before 5:30pm... tick tock tick tock... 5:30pm comes and goes, no call.

I ring again today and have been told that complaint callbacks happen 48 hours after making the complaint and the advisor yesterday was wrong. At which point I make a great effort not to explode. I politely explained that I had never been given accurate information from Autoglass and that I had never had any call from them. So I am not expecting a call in tomorrow :(

I will wait until tomorrow, and if I don't get a call, I'll try with Direct Line (my insurance)... I have put off contacting them as I am not expecting much.

But this really is a joke... Quick googling around and there a quite a few stories about autoglass being crap... Are there any legal eagles reading the thread? I feel that we are being held hostage by Autoglass who are simply incapable of doing their job... What would be the next best legal course of action be?

Next chapter of my Windscreen saga today:

Tesla estimated the car would be ready today at 1:15pm and surprisingly I got an email at 12:20pm asking me to complete the invoice acceptance and to arrange final payment of £813.30 (glass + 2 wiper blades + VAT) and, just to add a bit of thrilling blackmail into the mix, they had set their own PIN2drive code and would only reveal it on confirmation of payment.

I used my Santander credit card already lodged with Tesla for accessories and supercharging to pay the service bill and had to go to the Santander banking App to approve the big debit. Then I sent a text to Tesla telling them it was paid and a reply text from Tesla followed giving me the code.

A friend gave me a lift to Winchester and it was a simple case of getting in the car, putting the new PIN to drive then drive back home.
At home I found I couldn't put my own PIN back in until I googled for help. Turns out you do a 'lost PIN' from the PIN pad screen, enter your Tesla account credentials and the PIN is cleared for you to add your own again. I wonder if PIN reset would have worked if I hadn't paid?

It was a really simple pleasure to drive back home with a crystal clear windscreen and the rain i encountered was wiped away streak-free.
I used autopilot for some of the journey and found it was erring a little right of road centre but needed no "learning" time to use. :)

I'm not sure I can take the hassle of attempting reimbursement from Churchill. Phoning them is painful for me as I have to go through UK Relay, as I'm deaf, and they often have timing problems relaying the phone menu options to me (after the over-long holding time) before the menu system times out and drops the line on you. My last attempt to contact Autoglass dropped the line before I could select a menu option. :(