Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Long delay replacing Model 3 Windscreen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had my windscreen replaced at the Winchester SC, my wallet £760 lighter. Just waited on hold with Admiral for half an hour only for them to pick the phone up and then hang up on me. Wonderful service.

When I can eventually get through to them I don't expect them to pay for the damage, but I have to try, right!?
In absolutely shocking scenes Admiral have agreed to cover the replacement under their glass policy! RESULT!!!

Had my roof glass replaced at Tesla Nottingham SC last Tues. All looking good now, although the rubber seals don't look quite as neat as on the original....
Only gripe is the fact I've found several shards of glass in the interior since - some in the footwells, couple in the cupholder & door bins - which suggsts they weren't paying full attention to protection of the interior, or clean up after.

Word of caution for anyone else having the work done - although the estimate indicates approx 90min of work time, the adhesive (certainly for the roof glass) apparently needs several hours to cure. Car was in for 9.45am but wasn't ready to collect until after 4pm, so if you book an afternoon appt you may not get the car back the same day. Drove home in driving rain, no leaks/drips noted, and nothing in the foul weather since.

Invoice forwarded to Churchill for reimbursement, just waiting on them now....

Also - had the O-ring replacement for the boot strut, made no difference (as others have noted)!
Ime with all service centres not just Tesla, just because you’re booked in for a specific time it doesn’t mean your car starts getting worked on until well after that. I’ve caught a few out before by dropping my car off and walking or driving past a couple of hours later to see it still parked exactly as I left it. My local BMW dealer used to be particularly bad, so I started leaving it with the front wheels turned (something I never do anywhere else), I’d then revisit & ask why my car hadn’t been started yet. After a couple of these events it started going in fairly quickly, although it’s not to say they started working on it lol, the turnaround times seemed to improve though🤔

Ime with all service centres not just Tesla, just because you’re booked in for a specific time it doesn’t mean your car starts getting worked on until well after that. I’ve caught a few out before by dropping my car off and walking or driving past a couple of hours later to see it still parked exactly as I left it. My local BMW dealer used to be particularly bad, so I started leaving it with the front wheels turned (something I never do anywhere else), I’d then revisit & ask why my car hadn’t been started yet. After a couple of these events it started going in fairly quickly, although it’s not to say they started working on it lol, the turnaround times seemed to improve though🤔
I know mine was started on very shortly after arrival, as the glass guy (National Windscreens) was waiting in his van as I parked & he shouted to me "are you the roof glass?". When I confirmed, he hopped out of the van & headed off to get the Tech.

Reactions: Xdama
Broke mine this morning but have been too busy to try and arrange one . I don’t like the way this thread is going …

1655228489231.jpeg

I know mine was started on very shortly after arrival, as the glass guy (National Windscreens) was waiting in his van as I parked & he shouted to me "are you the roof glass?". When I confirmed, he hopped out of the van & headed off to get the Tech.
So Tesla use National Windscreens for glass replacement🤔, can’t you just go straight to National Windscreens direct then? Or is this Tesla hiking the price hence why insurance companies not wanting to use Tesla?

So Tesla use National Windscreens for glass replacement🤔, can’t you just go straight to National Windscreens direct then? Or is this Tesla hiking the price hence why insurance companies not wanting to use Tesla?
I suspect Tesla are keeping the majority of glass within their own stock, so it never reaches the windscreen companies themselves, but Tesla call them out to do the fitting rather than train their own staff to do it.

I suspect Tesla are keeping the majority of glass within their own stock, so it never reaches the windscreen companies themselves, but Tesla call them out to do the fitting rather than train their own staff to do it.
Probably stick a nice premium on there too. Hence insurance companies reluctance to use them, same as other vehicle manufacturers.

I got confirmation from Zurich Insurance that I can use Tesla , but I have to pay and send then the invoice Quoted about £850 and I have it booked in for Monday here in Aberdeen … lets see how that goes

It’s not safe driving I came back from Immingham via Dumfries and every few minutes I was inspecting the damage not looking at the road

Seems that some people are getting screens done and others can't - I've just had an appointment in Nottingham bounced till end July - but others seem to be having some luck. So... QUESTION - is there any way that you can contact individual centres and actually find out if they have the parts ? I'd happily travel a considerable distance if it means actually getting this wretched crack fixed... Anybody know if this can be done ?

Seems that some people are getting screens done and others can't - I've just had an appointment in Nottingham bounced till end July - but others seem to be having some luck. So... QUESTION - is there any way that you can contact individual centres and actually find out if they have the parts ? I'd happily travel a considerable distance if it means actually getting this wretched crack fixed... Anybody know if this can be done ?

When I had my screen replaced at Tesla Winchester in late May I could book an appointment just a few days away providing I left it with them overnight "for the glass to bond" so was clearly not a "while-U-wait" service. When I asked for a loan vehicle to use to retrieve my car they said it would cost £70 per day as it was a non-warranty issue but they'd have to reschedule to late June due to loan car availability. Might that be one of the reasons for such a date-bump?

Well £783 lighter and I have it fixed , they had to have it overnight for glass to bond . I booked it last Thursday and had the option for Friday here in Aberdeen but I was south of Hull at the time . So I took it in 9am Monday. I also got 33Kw added today before I picked it up.

I am with Direct line and they said I can only use Autoglass for my windscreen replacement and they would not cover if I go to Tesla SC directly.

Autoglass has no timeline when windscreen will be available for my Model 3.

Crack is on passenger side so not blocking my view but at same time I can’t wait endless for Autoglass to respond back.

Has anyone used Direct line to replace the windscreen from Tesla SC directly?

So it would seem some service centres have glass and some don't - which seems to suggest a lack of central co-ordination. I see that even in the last couple of weeks some people have had windscreens replaced whereas others wait ages. It seems like a postcode lottery. Is there actually a phone number you can use to talk to a real human about this and maybe see where the stock is, so urgent jobs (ie non driveable) can get done ?

I am with Direct line and they said I can only use Autoglass for my windscreen replacement and they would not cover if I go to Tesla SC directly.

Autoglass has no timeline when windscreen will be available for my Model 3.

Crack is on passenger side so not blocking my view but at same time I can’t wait endless for Autoglass to respond back.

Has anyone used Direct line to replace the windscreen from Tesla SC directly?
Given that Direct Line & Churchill are the same company, there should be no issues overall. They have a dedicated glass "team", which is shared between both companies (I know from my own experience, as my email to Churchill bounced, so they gave me the DirectLine email and said they'd see it anyway).
I have previously posted my email & phone conversations with Churchill in this thread (mine was roof glass, but same situation with supply), so feel free to use them as a template for discussion.

They did give me the runaround by phone at first, and one of the glass team agents (Neil) was frankly rude during our conversation, but they did agree to it being done by Tesla in the end.

Other owners have also had success with DirectLine on this subject.

Given that Direct Line & Churchill are the same company, there should be no issues overall. They have a dedicated glass "team", which is shared between both companies (I know from my own experience, as my email to Churchill bounced, so they gave me the DirectLine email and said they'd see it anyway).
I have previously posted my email & phone conversations with Churchill in this thread (mine was roof glass, but same situation with supply), so feel free to use them as a template for discussion.

They did give me the runaround by phone at first, and one of the glass team agents (Neil) was frankly rude during our conversation, but they did agree to it being done by Tesla in the end.

Other owners have also had success with DirectLine on this subject.
I've had a similar experience with Admiral. They have now agreed that Tesla can do the job but only after I've contacted Autoglass and got them to confirm that the Tesla dealership won't sell them the glass so they can do it !
But I'm still struggling to find a Tesla workshop that have any glass. Does anyone actually know of any 'phone numbers where you can call the Tesla outlets to ask the question ? For example how do I call the Nottingham workshop so I can ask a human being if/when they will actually have the glass ???
Can someone enlighten me ?