TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Long distance commuter about to pull the trigger on a MS

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by Cooksomerice, Oct 11, 2016.

1. Cooksomerice

Cooksomerice Member

I commute 120 miles one way about 6-8 days monthly. Interstate miles.
    The balance of my month, I commute 45-50 miles one way.

I live in Louisiana, were the winters are mild.

On the Long commute, the is a convenient supercharger near my destination.

On the shorter commute days, I will have to rely on the supercharger a mile or two from my home and then make the round trip without recharging.

I have narrowed my search to a pre owned 2014 85KW. 19 inch tires.
    No pano. Coil springs.

Listing my intended options in case they might have bearing on your answers.

My question (or concern) :

Am I making a sound decision based purely on my travel distance and charger locales?

Should the mild winters of 30-50 degree average greatly affect my ability to commute?

How much time can I expect to extend my current commute time when considering supercharging ?

Speed limit is 75, but what do you recommend as an average speed on the highway for efficiency?

Thanks!

• Like x 1
  2. jbcarioca

jbcarioca Active Member

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil and Coral Gables, FL
    Welcome to TMC!

This links to the Tesla chart that deals with your subject. Considering your conditions I think you will have no problems. If you drive <80 MPH you should have no issues especially since your environment has no significant elevation change.

As you gain experience you may even have more speed flexibility. If you have a charger installed at your house you'll have more convenience too. Most Tesla drivers try to stay between 20% and 90% State of Charge, but a number of very high mileage cars have used 100% routinely while keeping the lower end generally above 10%. Doing that should give you even more flexibility.

Driving Range for the Model S Family

• Like x 1
  3. Galve2000

Galve2000 Member

Welcome to TMC:

is there a reason why u cannot 240 V charging at home or at your workplace?

• Like x 1
  4. sorka

sorka Active Member

It sounds to me like you're saying you won't be able to charge at home. For me, I'd never have gotten a Tesla unless I could charge at home and work. My time is far too valuable to sitting in superchargers waiting for my car to charge on regular commute days.

I also commute 130 miles each way to and from work once, sometimes twice a week, so on average 6 to 7 times a month.

I know I'll get a flood of dislikes for this because I always do whenever I even hint at this, but Tesla says the superchargers are for long distance travel. My concern for those that are using them for local charging is that Tesla will start enforcing this at some point when too many chargers have constant long lines simply from those that are charging for local travel because they can't charge at home.

• Like x 5
  5. scottm

scottm Active Member

#5 scottm, Oct 11, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2016
    Yes.

No.

When you need to use SC, add about 1/2 hour. And you'd do it on the way back. But if you can trickle charge all day at 120V at your destination you might be able to skip the SC for the day trip (there and back) if you leave home at 90 or 100 percent battery on the days you know you'll be doing the commute. You can store up at home at 120V if that's all you can plug into.

Speed to drive is up to you, and traffic flow, and tolerance for tickets. But 75mph should be no issue. That's about how fast I drive, but here it's in km/h.. so 120 km/h.

I have an S85 with pano, live in a much harsher climate (cold), and would still make the decision to go Tesla again based on your conditions. Which are not a concern.

• Like x 1
  6. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

They've also said (I can't find it on their website, but I've seen a lot of mentions and links to it here) that the SpC can be used for the apartment dwellers [i.e. city centers] who can not charge at home.

Not who don't want to, but those who can not.

So while the primary usage might be long distance travel, Tesla hasn't explicitly said "don't buy a Tesla unless you can charge at home/work/etc." and I don't expect them to.

7. Cooksomerice

Cooksomerice Member

No, not really. I tried unsucessfully to edit post. I do not intend to rely solely on the supercharger near home. Not sure at this point what I will install at home, but I can not imagine I will go long without a home charger.
    Not really educated on the type of charger and the cost associated with install.

8. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

Two words: Shop around.

In some places the "Tesla recommended" electricians come in at 2-5x the cost to do the job. Other times they come in cheaper. There are lots of threads on here about it, but basically, an install can run you anywhere from $200-$7k.

• Like x 1
  9. sorka

sorka Active Member

They have said that in the past but the problem is as supercharger lines start forming and owners start complaining in larger numbers, Tesla's stated policy is what they'll act on and if that's enough, they'll change the policy which won't be retroactive to existing Tesla owners.

Not only is Tesla about to decouple SC access from the purchase a Tesla, but they may eventually not offer an all you can eat solution at all which may simply be the easiest way to solve this. Once they start charging per use with no unlimited option, they'll probably also tack on anchor fees for time you spend plugged in but not charging which is more of an issue with malls that have movie theaters or shopping destinations where someone is more likely to plug in and stay there until they're done doing what they're doing rather than when the car is done charging.

I was just at Red Robin with my Daughter in Manteca after a water polo game. 20 minutes after we got there, my car had enough charge to get home. I told me daughter I needed to go move the car so I wasn't taking up a stall. She didn't understand why I didn't just wait until we were done and ready to leave.

• Like x 4
  10. scottm

scottm Active Member

To avoid the EV premium car luxury tax assessed by trades when they realize you're going to be driving a Tesla, when asking for quotes from electricians, tell them you want a "NEMA 14-50 receptacle on a 50A breaker installed in the garage for continuous use of a welder". Check the charging sub-forum for lots of hints and tips on getting a charger installed.

• Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  11. mmccord

mmccord Member

Well the charging at home this has already been beaten to a pulp... To answer your other questions: 30-50 degree days will have a negligible affect on range. I don't see a dramatic drop unless it's <20F. You have superchargers in the vicinity to fall back on if something happens (forget to plug in or whatnot), and the drives otherwise fall easily within the range. You could probably get by with a 60D.

I personally wouldn't want to do those long freeway commutes without AP, but to each his own...

• Like x 2
  12. sorka

sorka Active Member

I was at 295 wh / mile on my 130 mile trip from Merced to San Jose this morning. The entire valley was in the low 50s. I'm in a P85DL so a non performance model would have been better. I wasn't driving easy either. 75 whenever traffic permitted.

• Like x 1
  13. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

An 85 will easily handle what you describe especially since you have no significant elevation changes. For your long commute charge up to 90-95% at home and then just stop at the Supercharger for 15 minutes and you will be fine. For the short commute no need to Supercharge at all, just plug in every night at home. As @mmcord suggested, have a 220V/40A NEMA 14-50 plug installed in your garage on a 50A circuit. Cost is a few hundred dollars. Can you do that at your house?

• Like x 1
  14. Cooksomerice

Cooksomerice Member

Yes.
    My only concern at home is I do not have a garage. I already have electrical pulled near parking, but will charging and leaving cord outside present any problems?

15. sorka

sorka Active Member

Is this a house? As long as your cord isn't crossing a public walkway you'll be fine. But it needs to be at least 30 amps x 240 volts. It takes 3 days to charge on 110v.

16. gavine

gavine Petrol Head turned EV Enthusiast

The mobile charger that comes with the car is outdoor-rated.

17. LargeHamCollider

LargeHamCollider Battery cells != scalable

This is awesome advice, should cost you ~$500 or less if you shop around, you won't need an actual Tesla Wall Connector (though could be nice if your car has dual chargers).

18. Cooksomerice

Cooksomerice Member

Yes.

Whoa, good to know!
    That will not be a problem.

19. Cooksomerice

Cooksomerice Member

I can search the forum for past discussion here later, but since it's brought up, what is the difference between what others suggested above (
    30amp 240V) and a Tesla Wall Connector ?

20. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Active Member

The Tesla Wall Connector is a hard-wired EVSE. (Wall "charger"). It has the Tesla connector so you don't need to use an adapter. (Tesla uses a proprietary connector) A portable unit with a NEMA 14-50 plug capable of 40A charging comes with the car, so having a NEMA 14-50 socket installed avoids the cost of a dedicated wall charger. However, you might want to get a 2nd portable unit at some point so you can carry one around and quickly plug in at home.

• Like x 1