Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Long distance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Long distance trip in mid May. Have ABRP app for charging locations.
Have done tucson to Denver. Now Denver to Binghamton New York. Any comments on superchargers along the way the Ohio Pennsylvania.
Does it help reserve battery use to extend range between charges if I reduce the use of AC/Heat or radio?

Have done tucson to Denver. Now Denver to Binghamton New York. Any comments on superchargers along the way the Ohio Pennsylvania.
Does it help reserve battery use to extend range between charges if I reduce the use of AC/Heat or radio?

You'll get more range reducing AC/Heat usage.

The radio will have no effect worth mentioning.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
Don't skip a Supercharger stop on your planned route. If you don't mind being a bit warm then you can turn off the AC and just use the HVAC fan. Set tire pressure when the tires are cold to 42 PSI or a few pounds more.

The greatest energy savings would come from limiting your Tesla vehicle's speed to a maximum of 70 MPH. Using the radio will not make a difference, even if you turn up the volume to 11.

If you are towing; have a bicycle rack or a roof rack any of these will negatively impact your efficiency and range.

The speed you drive makes the biggest difference in range. Personally, I wouldn't reduce the use of the A/C or heat to increase range -- it doesn't make that much difference. Driving 60 instead of 70 or 70 instead of 80 makes a significant difference.

Conserving energy to increase range and charge less often is one way to do it. Driving faster and hitting more superchargers when needed is the other. I tend to do the latter.

Using the radio makes no difference unless you're playing some really awful music.

Don't skip a Supercharger stop on your planned route. If you don't mind being a bit warm then you can turn off the AC and just use the HVAC fan. Set tire pressure when the tires are cold to 42 PSI or a few pounds more.

The greatest energy savings would come from limiting your Tesla vehicle's speed to a maximum of 70 MPH. Using the radio will not make a difference, even if you turn up the volume to 11.

If you are towing; have a bicycle rack or a roof rack any of these will negatively impact your efficiency and range.
Limiting speed is an issue because it makes for a longer day on the road. Will do to increase range though.
Thank you

I like to use ABRP and the Tesla routing for stuff like this. The locations will always change as you drive, so I check both every few stops. But I’m a big fan of the arrival minimum options in ABRP, the Tesla routing is still a little too aggressive for me. It‘s probably a better time saver to slowdown 5mph but I don’t want to bother with that, plus I have a kid so I’m stopping every couple hours anyways.

Limiting speed is an issue because it makes for a longer day on the road. Will do to increase range though.
Well, there are various points in the spectrum where different factors might be dominant though. And that does depend on Supercharger location and spacing and the size of your battery.

Going some really low speed like 50 mph yes, would add a lot of travel time to the trip. Going 60 or 70 or 72 mph would probably be quicker. But the wind resistance is an exponential factor, so people trying to push for going 82 or 86+ mph are going to have other problems of having to stop more often, and also charge longer and also charge up to higher battery percentages, which make the charging go slower, which make the stops even longer.

These are one of those that you kind of try out and find what's effective or comfortable for you.

I've done comments on here before about giving a numbered priority ranking of what makes a difference in use, and intentionally didn't use even spacing of the numbers to indicate how large the effect is in the ranking:
#1 Speed/wind resistance by far. This is the most significant thing, and turning your cruise control down by just a couple of miles an hour can make a big difference if you're talking about speeds in the 70's and 80's.
#1b A subcategory that is also basically the same as speed is anything that trashes your aerodynamics and creates more wind drag: trailer, bike racks, etc.

#10 Heating/cooling. Much less effect than speed. Before the heat pumps, the resistive heating could be a big factor. A/C was less, but still noticeable.

#1,000,000 Waaaayyyy down the list is everything else: stereo volume, windshield wipers, screen brightness, Bluetooth, etc. None of them will ever make any perceptible difference.

Reactions: Prodock
I've done comments on here before about giving a numbered priority ranking of what makes a difference in use, and intentionally didn't use even spacing of the numbers to indicate how large the effect is in the ranking:
#1 Speed/wind resistance by far. This is the most significant thing, and turning your cruise control down by just a couple of miles an hour can make a big difference if you're talking about speeds in the 70's and 80's.
#1b A subcategory that is also basically the same as speed is anything that trashes your aerodynamics and creates more wind drag: trailer, bike racks, etc.

#10 Heating/cooling. Much less effect than speed. Before the heat pumps, the resistive heating could be a big factor. A/C was less, but still noticeable.

#1,000,000 Waaaayyyy down the list is everything else: stereo volume, windshield wipers, screen brightness, Bluetooth, etc. None of them will ever make any perceptible difference.

Great explanation. I believe the seat heaters and the steering wheel heater are also pretty far down the list from the climate control heating/cooling system.

Reactions: Rocky_H