Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Long family camping road trip; how would you?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

EbS-P

Apr 21, 2022
NC
We have a large family. How you you go about packing for a long 3000-5000 mile 4-6 week camping road trip.

I think we will need a trailer. What kind? Small generic cargo? Custom extra light weight? Let’s keep the budget under 8000$ How about a camping kitchen trailer? my kids are the extra hungry type.

Routes, places, and ranger other than lighter is better is beyond my current planning phase.

I would love to hear how anyone has managed their stuff with 3 or more kids camping.

Thanks
Evan

Pulling a trailer will affect your range significantly plus the hassle to disconnect to charge at most super chargers since most super chargers are not trailer friendly. So route planning will have to take this into account and one will have to plan things around these constraints.

• Informative
Reactions: house9
Pulling a trailer will affect your range significantly plus the hassle to disconnect to charge at most super chargers since most super chargers are not trailer friendly. So route planning will have to take this into account and one will have to plan things around these constraints.
That’s all details that are down the road. I’m try figure out how to get to the point where route planing matters. Unhooking to charge is a minor inconvenience and really not a hassle for me.

Thanks for the video. I’ll watch it later when I have a decent data connection.

I think the answer depends on how you define "camping".

If you are talking about tent camping then you may not even need a trailer. We fit a 6-8 person tent in the frunk. Ton of stuff in the back and under the back. And even some room under the back seats.

If you still need room for luggage I would pull the lowest profile, aerodynamic utility trailer. Something that is lower than the back of the MX and narrower than the MX. I've pulled a standard, non-aerodynamic, utility trailer (a.k.a. "brick") and only taken a 20-25% range hit. So a lower, aerodynamic trailer should be fine.

Finally, if you want a camping trailer in your price range I would look at the SylvanSport GO. Used I see them going right around your price range. I think @bonnie may have had one. She might be able to chime in.

Whatever trailer you decide on...aerodynamics is way more important than weight. If you can keep the trailer profile from extending beyond the MX. If you can find something with a low drag coefficient. You should have no trouble.

Good luck.

SylvanSport GO
Thanks for this. They look neat and fairly convertible to do other tasks with. We have probably crossed the point of being able to tent camp without a trailer.

Weight is important because it keeps us from over packing. If we have space we fill it and I’m trying to break that habit. Fast and light is our new vacation motto when it comes to how and what we pack.

I have a 5x8, 20 year old cargo trailer. I would like to sell and get something better for this purpose. I’ve pulled it a fair bit and realize it’s bigger size wise and capacity wise for camping.

A trailer is just going to eat so much range. I suspect (though haven't measured) that a roof rack cargo box would eat up a lot less range. Some people report that the roof rack box causes less drag if you mount it backwards from the way most people mount them. That actually makes sense as you often see them with narrow end front, and the most aerodynamic shape is wide in front, going to a point in back. Even better would be one designed to conform to be a close fit with the roof and follow its line with some sort of seal at the front. You might need to experiment.

Another option would be to get a trailer hitch and get a rear hitch cargo box. It will add drag but I would guess nothing like a trailer. Failing all that, the most teardrop like aerodynamic trailer you can find, though I have heard claims that there are triangle ones that do even better. A teardrop is the most aerodynamic shape on its own, but when behind the car, a different shape would be called for.

You've hit on one of the things that EVs aren't as good at yet.

But with your frunk, under-trunk and trunk you do have a fair bit of room though we pack all those full with just 2 people on a non-camping trip, but we're terrible about it. We do bring chairs and a small table (good for takeout at superchargers) and a fridge (back seat.)

Reactions: theocguy and EbS-P
Life changes when you have more than three kids. With three you can make most everything designed for the average family work.

Lunch on the road for us would be an entire loaf of bread and 2# of lunch meat. Milk, if everyone has cereal for breakfast a gallon a day is not out of the question (doesn’t happen that often though). Scrambled eggs 2 dozen. We just got back from a trip to see family stopped at lake cottage for a few nights. I’m pretty sure that I unloaded almost 25 pairs of shoes! And I was proud of how we packed. We needed everything that went except the snorkels and flippers. We went so light we even skipped beach towels.

And let’s be real the model X has a bit over 1/2 the cargo space as an odyssey if you are sitting 2-2-2 in both.

The the realization I am coming to is I just need to get the family out and figure out what works. Start small and closer to home. Customized trailer for great seems like the only way to go.

Reactions: theocguy
The the realization I am coming to is I just need to get the family out and figure out what works.
As someone who has towed with our MX 20k+ miles. Who has lived out of our trailer with three dogs for as long as a three month stretch. Who advocates for electric vehicles and towing with electric vehicles. I have to admit that what you are proposing may not be doable with the parameters you lay out (cost, # of people, distance travelled over time period).

Towing with an EV still isn't the same as towing with an ICE for all situations. Can you do short trips...go for it. Long trips, at leisurely speeds, over an extended time frame, with an aerodynamic trailer...sure. Long trips at break neck speeds, over a short time frame, with an aerodynamic trailer... yeh, but not fun (we've covered 2500 miles in five days).

However, long trips, shorter time frames, high speed, large "brick of a trailer"...nope. Not there yet (but getting closer).

If you are tent camping and just need a cargo trailer for all the "stuff", then as I mentioned earlier, an aerodynamic cargo trailer would allow you to travel long distances over a reasonable time frame. But if you are looking for a camper/trailer that will comfortably fit your large family for sleeping, plus all the stuff, plus allow you to travel long distances quickly...we're just not there yet for EV's.

This might be a situation where you <gasp> might just want to rent an ICE Class A </gasp> and enjoy a long trip with the family.

Reactions: Rocky_H and EbS-P
A trailer is just going to eat so much range. I suspect (though haven't measured) that a roof rack cargo box would eat up a lot less range. Some people report that the roof rack box causes less drag if you mount it backwards from the way most people mount them. That actually makes sense as you often see them with narrow end front, and the most aerodynamic shape is wide in front, going to a point in back. Even better would be one designed to conform to be a close fit with the roof and follow its line with some sort of seal at the front. You might need to experiment.

Another option would be to get a trailer hitch and get a rear hitch cargo box. It will add drag but I would guess nothing like a trailer. Failing all that, the most teardrop like aerodynamic trailer you can find, though I have heard claims that there are triangle ones that do even better. A teardrop is the most aerodynamic shape on its own, but when behind the car, a different shape would be called for.

You've hit on one of the things that EVs aren't as good at yet.

But with your frunk, under-trunk and trunk you do have a fair bit of room though we pack all those full with just 2 people on a non-camping trip, but we're terrible about it. We do bring chairs and a small table (good for takeout at superchargers) and a fridge (back seat.)
There are some backyard scientist studies out there that have shown that a roof box with wheels (e.g. on a utility trailer) is significantly more efficient than a roof box on the roof. Which would be another option!

Reduced frontal area and significantly reduces the wake size is the general rationale as compared to being on the roof.

There are some backyard scientist studies out there that have shown that a roof box with wheels (e.g. on a utility trailer) is significantly more efficient than a roof box on the roof. Which would be another option!

Reduced frontal area and significantly reduces the wake size is the general rationale as compared to being on the roof.
There are threads out there where people have pointed out their wh/mile with various trailers and roof boxes. I have not looked for reports of hitch moutn cargo boxes. Some of the roof box claims are very good, better than any trailer I have seen. Some of the designs that do well will look very strange, with deflectors to avoid vorticies and such.

I have to say my analysis is that with trailers you move into the area where EVs no longer are superior. You're going to spend a lot of time charging, and you're also going to have to avoid large regions of rural country where fast charging is just not that plentiful, though a CCS adapter can help. This is for my style of trip, which tends to cover a fair bit of ground many of the days. If you are the sort who only moves less than 100 miles per day, you can pull it off, and even the rural country if you park at RV parks each night.

This will be fixed but will take some time.

Reactions: EbS-P
As someone who has towed with our MX 20k+ miles. Who has lived out of our trailer with three dogs for as long as a three month stretch. Who advocates for electric vehicles and towing with electric vehicles. I have to admit that what you are proposing may not be doable with the parameters you lay out (cost, # of people, distance travelled over time period).

Towing with an EV still isn't the same as towing with an ICE for all situations. Can you do short trips...go for it. Long trips, at leisurely speeds, over an extended time frame, with an aerodynamic trailer...sure. Long trips at break neck speeds, over a short time frame, with an aerodynamic trailer... yeh, but not fun (we've covered 2500 miles in five days).

However, long trips, shorter time frames, high speed, large "brick of a trailer"...nope. Not there yet (but getting closer).

If you are tent camping and just need a cargo trailer for all the "stuff", then as I mentioned earlier, an aerodynamic cargo trailer would allow you to travel long distances over a reasonable time frame. But if you are looking for a camper/trailer that will comfortably fit your large family for sleeping, plus all the stuff, plus allow you to travel long distances quickly...we're just not there yet for EV's.

This might be a situation where you <gasp> might just want to rent an ICE Class A </gasp> and enjoy a long trip with the family.
Thank you for the thoughtful comments. Greatly appreciated.

Looking more at small trailers. Came across this motorcycle trailer.

Seems like another possibility. Didn’t find prices.

There is a company in Ohio who makes smallcargotrailers.com they have 3 style types and are light, the heaviest is 250lbs at 30 cu ft. then again if you want more room and an outdoor kitchen you must look at the bushwhacker 10HD at only 1300lbs they have 3 models as well.

I saw one of these today. Seems like a good fit for a regular sized family camping out of an EV. It’s pricey for the size.

House project went way over budget. Ford is not taking orders for is Transit passenger wagon. Estimated wait I was told was two years. So…. I’m going to start building racks, and storage systems for the 5x8 trailer I have and adding breaks to its standard 1 ton torsion axel.